Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

oops! I think I bought wrong cooling system......

angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,139

Please keep in mind I've only built one PC prior and learning hardware ropes :)

I bought a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R MB and Corsair H50 cooling.

I got the peices through newegg in December and just now started to put it together. Following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxoFiFuS_g it came to my attention that the bracket that screws into the MB doesn't fit! There are capacitors that are so close to the CPU part the bracket wont fit.

Am I doing this wrong, or did I just in fact buy the wrong cooling system for this type of board?

Thanks,

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,234

Looking at pictures of the motherboard and watching the video, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

The backplate won't go on the underneath of the motherboard, or the retaining bracket won't fit on the top, or the waterblock won't go on the top of the CPU?

According to the written information, they ~should~ work together. You have a 1366 motherboard, and the H50 supports standard 1366 motherboards. Every motherboard is a bit different in how they lay out components, so it's possible that your particular motherboard just won't fit that heatsink due to part locations.

I would definitely make sure you are using the correct brackets, screws, and bushings. The universal heatsink kits come with a crazy amount of widgets, so that they can fit on as many different motherboards as possible, so it's easy to get some of them mixed up.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,139

Yah I double checked the documentation and I am using the right bracket.

The backplate does not fit because the capacitors on the north part of the CPU (use this image http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#ov) are right in thge way of the bracket.

At least, that's the problem I've been having.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,234

Well, the backplate goes on the underneath of the motherboard. Are the leads on the capacitors too long on the backside of the motherboard?

I can see where they may get in the way of the waterblock though, if they are too tall. If that's the case, you are going to have problems with most aftermarket heatsinks with this motherboard, it just is poorly laid out.