Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IfeedtrollsIfeedtrolls Member Posts: 122

I am just throwing out another idea for consideration, reputation power. Where members can plus and minus other people. Positives and Negatives on their attitude and posts around the forum. This has alot of good to it, has people will feel more noticed by their fellow members, but the down side is....some people may abuse it.

Comments

• IfeedtrollsIfeedtrolls Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Just like every other feature that allows anonymous user input is abused? You betcha. Horrible idea.

You see. It is a good idea, but its not. It will most likely be abused, when a member becomes angry with someone, they would neg. rep them. If people have hatred against eachother, they will constantly negative other people. But the positive is, if people didn't abuse it so much, that special forum friend of yours could show you it with a nice rep point or if you make a useful post for someone, they could rep you again.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Ifeedtrolls

I am just throwing out another idea for consideration, reputation power. Where members can plus and minus other people. Positives and Negatives on their attitude and posts around the forum. This has alot of good to it, has people will feel more noticed by their fellow members, but the down side is....some people may abuse it.

Like the thumbs up/down suggestion in another thread, this was also discussed and didn't really pan out. Abuse, of course, is an issue to consider.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

yeah abuse can be experienced both negative and positive ways. For example, as the OP said when somebody builds hatred against a troll, even if the troll stops being a jerk and wahnt to build good rep lots of ppl will bury him.... On the other hand, a "positive" abuse would be to plot rep gains with friends (A, B and C are good friends and no matter how bad their posts are, they will always hit the good rep button with each other)

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by MikeB

Like the thumbs up/down suggestion in another thread, this was also discussed and didn't really pan out. Abuse, of course, is an issue to consider.

Yes that could but it would be harder for it to be abused if you do a few things in making it. Firstly I would make it so that you couldn't log on multiple accounts to thumbs down or up, allow 1 thumb up or down per post on a thread by someone, to do that simply make it so it checks the ip of the user, if that ip has been used already when it checks then it can't submit  that members thumbs up or down. I know this might be difficult but it's a good idea to keep things more consistent.

By doing the above and making it so you can only thumb up or down one post only in a thread it makes it so users have to pick the ones they really think deserves a thumbs up or down.

Make the thumbs up down show percentages under the users name with the thumb on how many ups and downs they have for the month. So like the green thumbs up would show 70% and red thumbs down showing 30%. That's an example of all thumbs counted.

Then make it so that if a user has thumbed down the same user or thumbed up same user more then 5 times or 3 times over multiple threads that it warns them of abuse of the system and they can have all their thumbs up or downs removed previously for the one they kept thumbing up or down on various threads. This will stop people from thumbing up each buddy in order to inflate or try deflate someones percentages.

I know I would get lots thumbs down on here cause I am very opinionated and when I don't like something I let people know, I am much more or less easier to get along with then I was when this site first opened and I was a member on a older account I retired long ago, truthfully I been here since the first month this site ran or was on the www and found it by luck and I think this site is gone into a nice direction but sometimes some stuff is like meh. But this would be an awesome idea if implemented right.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by MikeB

Like the above post said, just run it past their IP. It shouldn't be that hard. If someone wants to proxy around and use multiple accounts, then let them. That's alot of work for very little payoff.

If your plans were to hide a post if it got too many thumbs down or something, just set it to a reasonable amount, based on how many forum subscribers there are. 20-30 thumbs down wouldn't be too much, there are alot of forum subscribers and alot of lurkers.

Reputation can be abused. That spans thread to thread to thread. Thumbs Up/Down, simply exists per thread and gives people an idea of how many people like each individual post. I've been on Reputation boards before, and they suck. If you tracked how many thumbs up and thumbs down people had on their profile or something, that would be cool.