Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Blizzard removes Talismans for now

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Offsetting the awesome new Runestone videos, there’s bad news today, as Bashiok revealed that the long-mysterious, long-anticipated Talisman is being removed from the game, at least temporarily. The quote:

image Blizzard Quote:

Well, I can say from feedback and testing we’ve made the decision to pull the Talisman from the initial release of the game.

It was a cool idea at its core, but right now it’s just really too basic and doesn’t provide anything you can’t get from the armor and weapons you’re equipping. It requires a lot of the player to invest time and energy into finding and storing yet another type of item just to add player stats. When they do all that, it’s just to do something pretty boring that they can already do with awesome things like armor and weapons. Originally the Talisman had a much deeper design, but it proved very ambitious and it got whittled down over the years to a very basic +stat per single square. We like simplicity in our designs, but charms became superfluous in their purpose.

We really like the core idea, but we don’t want to stop everything and spend a large amount of time trying to fix the Talisman, although we do have some great ideas already. So, it’ll very likely come back in some form or another after the game ships. And be awesome.

Presumably this means charms are also gone, since they had no function other than when socketed in the Talisman.

Early fan reaction is mixed, but what is there to say? If the feature isn’t working that great, then yes, it’s better they leave it out and bring it back once they’ve figured out how to make it better. This will also let them tailor the Talisman to fit properly into the economy and play style players create, which will naturally differ somewhat from what the devs are projecting at this point.

If there’s a complaint to be made, you’ll require a time machine to go back and try to impact the devs months/years ago, when they made decisions that marginalized the utility of the Talisman/charms.

Link: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-talisman-removed-from-diablo-iii-for-now/

Comments

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Time management sucks, huh guys? Blizzard's trying to get on a schedule, I guess that's good. I'm kind of sad that they're doing away with an anticipated system to push for box sales sooner, though.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Yep pretty much cutting corners so they can push for a 2011 release. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I say cut more if that means getting the game out early. I really hope the game comes out this year. Screw quality, cut if you have to. Sick of waiting :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by fivoroth

I say cut more if that means getting the game out early. I really hope the game comes out this year. Screw quality, cut if you have to. Sick of waiting :D

I like new games and all... but I don't like terrible unfinished games. Keep a schedule but don't rush it. If you do, I just won't buy your game. Simple as that. That's why I don't own Xyson.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by ichimarunico

I like new games and all... but I don't like terrible unfinished games. Keep a schedule but don't rush it. If you do, I just won't buy your game. Simple as that. That's why I don't own Xyson.

Diablo is not an MMO so it's a bit different. Plus Blizzard are obsessed with polishing stuff. They can lower their standards a bit so they can release game maybe a few years earlier :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

Screw quality! Im in a hurry to play a rushed and shitty game!

Im on the other side of that token I guess. Though at this point i imagine they couldnt get the amount of polish they wanted on talismans so they shelved it to be polished up later.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

It's going to be part of the premium system they will release.  10 bucks per talisman.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Part of me is happy that they are willing to make smallish sacrifices in order to release a more polished game. If the talisman is mostly useless at this point, yes pull it and redesign later.

Late 2011 early 2012 is going to be jam packed with a ton of games; D3, ES: Skyrim, MW3, BF3, and GW2 (hopefully early 2012). Not sure how I will find time to play them all.

good thing none of them requires a sub.

• VenDyneVenDyne Member Posts: 51

I agree that it's best to chop off bad parts, and emphasize on good ones. A good polishing would be nice for any game before release.

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crud."