Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Square Enix working on a new MMO

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

[MOD EDIT- Please do NOT copy articles from other sites in their entirety. Thanks!]

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/square-enix-working-on-a-new-mmo/

Comments

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Comforting to see they didn't just cut their losses after this year's absolute train wreck. Imo they should have just sent out box sale refunds and shut it down to redesign and rerelease it. As it is it's just a waste of developer's hard work.

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

dude, Kudos to Square Enix. 

If for no other reason than their straight forward approach in taking responsibility for releasing a sub-par game. 

not to mention their progressive attitude.  

FFXI was/is spectacular, and FFXIV was such a disappointment, and they aren't wasting time trying to fool anyone into thinking FFXIV is perfect.    They removed the monthly fee because they want their loyal fans to feel appreciated, and not insulted by the business-machine they could be if they decided to.   And now they are talking about creating yet another MMO in hopes of holding 3?    Not just scrapping FFXIV because it didn't make them a buttload of money immediately is a good sign in itself.

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Right...

So, now they're going to make an MMO what FFXIV should have been if they'd worked smarter on its designs, to try to draw in the huge numbers of players that FFXIV should have had?

Sounds a bit upside down to me, but who knows. Maybe it'll be a true evolution of FFI, sort of a FFXI 2.0 in a new and different setting.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• mm0wigginsmm0wiggins Member Posts: 270

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Sounds a bit upside down to me, but who knows. Maybe it'll be a true evolution of FFI, sort of a FFXI 2.0 in a new and different setting.

Which is what many hoped FFXIV would have been in the first place.   

All FFXI needed was a graphics overhaul and perhaps some tweaks with controls, or at least customizable control options, and voila.... FFXI 2.0.   

This is not a troll, flame, or anything else worth banning me over. It is simply my pure opinion, and I have a right to share it.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Square Enix has no idea how to make MMOs.  If you need to spend 5 hours getting an interface to be workable, and then even then you can only wish you could do simple things like checking an item on an auction house in less than 5 minutes your devs have absolutely no idea how to create a workable interface.  Not even able to run their games in fullscreen without a third party program or crashing when going into windowed mode for example...

FFXI has good content, but it took them years to develop it and it's rather grindy.  I don't foresee them releasing their next MMO in any decent shape unless they make a joint effort with outside developers.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

The only chance this new one has is to be almost the complete opposite of ffxi and ffxiv.

I am hoping SE's stupid phase is over.  FF13 was a disgrace.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

I like FFXIV, apart from the UI (which is a big deal I know) its great so far. I wish them the best of luck =)

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Now if they could make and MMO set in the beloved world of Gaia from FFVII many people would be happy. Or dare I say a Kingdom Hearts MMO, that would have to have a heavy disney hand in it too, which could be good or bad.

If they can take the good things from ffxi and well idk maybe a few things from ffxiv (not many good things come to mind). Or at least learn from their mistakes with ffxiv, it could be something great. On that note though, it's been a while since Square has made anything that's garnered wide spread approval outside of japan, so we will see.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Not sure how I feel about this.

If FFXIV is as bad as some say then I can understand starting over from scratch.

But MMOs aren't just a long-term thing for the users, they're also long-term for the developers. You don't just finish building MMO #1 and then leave a skeleton crew for updates whilst the rest of the studio starts on MMO #2.

I've always felt that it's very important for a studio to focus on a single MMO or two if they're very big and experienced. You immediatly notice, imho, if the real creative directors are still behind a certain game or if it's being run by the leftovers of that company.

Guild Wars, WoW and EvE all manage to put out very large and ambitious expansions that really add huge amounts to the game, and all of them have focussed on a single MMO for a long time before moving on to second projects.

It seems silly that this company is announcing a new MMO so soon after the last. Makes me think they were working on this before FFXIV was even out, which can't be a good thing.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Square Enix has no idea how to make MMOs.  If you need to spend 5 hours getting an interface to be workable, and then even then you can only wish you could do simple things like checking an item on an auction house in less than 5 minutes your devs have absolutely no idea how to create a workable interface.  Not even able to run their games in fullscreen without a third party program or crashing when going into windowed mode for example...

FFXI has good content, but it took them years to develop it and it's rather grindy.  I don't foresee them releasing their next MMO in any decent shape unless they make a joint effort with outside developers.

I'll admit they have had some problems but FFXI is one the most memorable and successful MMO's to date. And yeah FFXI had problems at launch but what MMO hasn't had problems? WoW was a train wreck when it came out. As for the grind.. that doesn't make it a bad thing, some people like the fact you can't rush from 1 to max in a week.. (Like WoW). The point is, don't judge the success of a company based on 1 faulty product, and you don't have to have 12 million subscribers to be successful.

• ichimarunicoichimarunico Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by gobla

If FFXIV is as bad as some say then I can understand starting over from scratch.

But MMOs aren't just a long-term thing for the users, they're also long-term for the developers. You don't just finish building MMO #1 and then leave a skeleton crew for updates whilst the rest of the studio starts on MMO #2.

I've always felt that it's very important for a studio to focus on a single MMO or two if they're very big and experienced. You immediatly notice, imho, if the real creative directors are still behind a certain game or if it's being run by the leftovers of that company.

Guild Wars, WoW and EvE all manage to put out very large and ambitious expansions that really add huge amounts to the game, and all of them have focussed on a single MMO for a long time before moving on to second projects.

It seems silly that this company is announcing a new MMO so soon after the last. Makes me think they were working on this before FFXIV was even out, which can't be a good thing.

FFXIV cannot be properly described. It's so bad I'd rather play Minesweeper for twelve hours. It is the biggest disgrace to a brand's name ever. I'm not even exaggerating. Okay maybe a little bit. But seriously: it's THAT bad.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

They should revise a Secret of Mana/Evermore, or go with another Illusions of... (Soul Blazer 2) setting. Great stuff.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by XxGrimmxX

Originally posted by Magnum2103

I'll admit they have had some problems but FFXI is one the most memorable and successful MMO's to date. And yeah FFXI had problems at launch but what MMO hasn't had problems? WoW was a train wreck when it came out. As for the grind.. that doesn't make it a bad thing, some people like the fact you can't rush from 1 to max in a week.. (Like WoW). The point is, don't judge the success of a company based on 1 faulty product, and you don't have to have 12 million subscribers to be successful.

Don't get me wrong, FFXI wasn't a bad MMO as far as content goes, but SE has real issues designing a functional game for the PC.  That's where the majority of the market is for MMOs, one of the few genres that's still controlled by the PC.  Designing for the console is okay, but the interface and controls need to work well on the PC.  Simple things like being able to alt tab out of fullscreen mode to windowed and back without crashing is something most amateur game developers know how to do.  The PlayOnline service is another example, making it a chore to log in and create it a game (thank god you didn't have to do it in FFXIV).

If they want to design a truely successful MMO for the market now they have to improve significantly.  They can't just rehash what they did with FFXI and repackage it with new shinier graphics.  That doesn't work with MMOs.  They'll need to change radically the way they make games.  I just don't see this happening because they didn't seem to have learned anything from the FFXIV mess, I mean they took nearly everything that made FFXI and failed to implement it in FFXIV.

Expect their next game to have the same issues, but with even better graphics, because if you look at successful MMOs like WoW, it's obvious graphics are important to a MMO gamer, right?

• newbismnewbism Member Posts: 39

it will be called Final Fantasy 9000,  You play as a mech robots

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

I'm starting to notice a trend here that I have seen too many times in this industry.

make a game > game fails > make another

My money's on another FF fiasco.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Honestly here is their chance to either rise up and be the great game makers that they were or crumble under the pressure and continue to spiral down hill.

• Dorko2kDorko2k Member Posts: 107

good for them! I never played FFXI but played FFXIV for almost 2 months before giving up on it. Some great ideas in the game but it was flat out unfinished & the controls drove me nuts. While I'm not happy about that it was certainly a breath of fresh air to have developers showing accountability for their actions & making the game f2p for now. I'm so used to devs flat out lying to their players as if we were morons who don't understand basic mmo mechanics.

• EinhejarEinhejar Member UncommonPosts: 15

This is interesting.

There are a lot of people waiting to see if Square Enix can rebirth FFXIV. Most MMOs that have bad launches never really recover with exponential growth at least up to this point, so if they pull it off it will be interesting to see. Especially since a lot of SE's top talent was put in charge of reviving FFXIV, even directors from console games are on the new team, and a lot of FFXI people as well.

But to announce that they are working on a new MMO while throwing development cash at the FFXIV fire hoping to fix it sends mixed signals.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I like SE alot but I have mixed feelings on this. How do you go make another game when the latest one is still in somehwat chaos ? I dunno, we'll see how it goes. :)

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Oh man, I think SE's in big trouble. After playing Dragon Age and all FFX+, I must say SE sux. One thing I hate in DA is PC does not have VO. But BW RPG's left SE's RPG in dust man. We already got 4 AAA titles coming out: TOR, GW2, TSW, Tera. So much competition, to whom will the focus this new MMO towards. What kind of players could they possibly cater to? I guess I can't see if there will be enough people out there who would be looking for another MMO after we've got the 4 above monsters out.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by gobla

Exactly... FF XIV still needs a couple more months before it's patched enough to become any good, for the general consumer and not just the fanboys/girls. Let alone any expansions that should be developed for it after, because there's a lot that could be expanded on (where the hell is my chocobo?). Just seems like a bad idea when the bitter taste of FF XIV is still in people's mouths. And when by Apr 2012 there will be amazing new MMOs like SW:TOR and GW2 to compete with.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by GTwander

They should revise a Secret of Mana/Evermore, or go with another Illusions of... (Soul Blazer 2) setting. Great stuff.

SE does have access to other IPs that are worth a go.  Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle is along those lines that has a long background (they put out a remake of Tactics Ogre very recently on PSP).  I'm playing TO right now on the PSP and I have very fond memories of Ogre Battle on the Super Nintendo.

This new MMO doesn't have to be FF.  But it probably will.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Dear Gamers, please note that game development companies have more than one development team.  Lumping all of the designers from one company together is just like lumping everyone who works for the government together, clearly its simply too big of an organization to generalize.  Thank you.

• crescens87crescens87 Member UncommonPosts: 34

to reitterate they have tons of development teams at SE making multi games all at once, so a New MMO is a completely different team than the ones that did FFXIV or even FFXI, so to say that the company is just turning out a new game after their giant failure of FFXIV is wrong, because like it or not they would have released this new MMO if FFXIV was a huge success. competely different things here people

• VenDyneVenDyne Member Posts: 51

You think it'd be another Final Fantasy? Maybe they could add something new to the table. What other game of theirs is popular? :3

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crud."