Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a break from mmos?

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

As I have become more and more burned out on the same old mmo treadmill, I have decided to go back to my gaming roots - single player RPGs. Of course with gaming advancements we now have multiplayer options too. So if you are looking for a break from mmos like me try these:

Now - Witcher 2

Next Week - D&D Daggerdale

June - Dungeon Siege 3

This fall - Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim, maybe Diablo 3???

anyone have any games they can add to the list. Good old fasioned single & multiplayer rpgs only - NO MMOS!

Comments

• PunixPunix Member Posts: 15

Fable 3 was pretty good... kept me amused for 2 days... which is about 40 hours of playtime to the average person... oh and torchlight when it comes out

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I second Torchlight. It was a fun game and kept me interested for a while. If you like Diablo, you should like Torchlight.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Yeah I played the heck out of Torchlight and definitely look forward to Torchlight 2. Haven't tried Fable 3, or any in the Fable series yet actually. Can anyone recommend Two Worlds 2?

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

I have played just about every single player RPG of the last ten years. My most recent and current is the witcher 2 but if you are looking for that old classic  BG1-2 feel then i recomend.

http://www.drakensang.com/

Hard but very rewarding once you figure it out.

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by jpnole

Yeah I played the heck out of Torchlight and definitely look forward to Torchlight 2. Haven't tried Fable 3, or any in the Fable series yet actually. Can anyone recommend Two Worlds 2?

if u like games similar to diablo then try out NOX from westwood.

campaign pretty cool and ith as multiplayer 2

there is a private server were people play but not going on details about it.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

So I built a new computer last week. Decided to get back into gaming now that I finished my second degree in college and have some free time. I went to a website to check out what new PC game releases was out there, and boy was I surprised.

There just isn't as many games out as there used to be back in the days.

With that being said, I decided to go back to the classics: NWN2 and Oblivion. Still my favorite single player games out there. So I will be back in my classic games untila new MMO worthy of my time actually comes out.

• steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

Maybe this fall or end of year??? GW2 (Guild Wars 2)

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

Mount and Blade is always a good choice.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

If you can get your hands on any of the STALKER series, those are always fun.  They are more along the lines of an FPS/RPG hybrid, but still a great time investment.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Hi similar here, taking a year break until archage/gwars/tor comes along.  Playing:

Morrowind/expansions. with all the latest texture upgrades and  couple of the best mods out there.  Pretty immersive and fun.

Guild Wars 1/Expansions. Achievments carry through to Gwars 2 with rewards which is a nice motivator to play the game.  Lot of peeps refer to this as a mmorg, but grab a group of heros to level/gear up and it feels just like a (massive) old school rpg.

Arx fatalis, old school rpg, really atmospheric and fun to play.

Call of cthulhu.  Hehe cheeky mention here for a creepy adventure game if you like your lovecraft stories/old gods :P (I actually jumped at 1 point!)

Bit different, but X3 terrain conflict is a really good space rpg of sorts.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Like a previous poster said, Mount and Blade is always fun. Especially with the CRPG mod.

And, although theyre indie games, Terraria and Magicka are both great games.

Terraria is a sandboxy world builder. A lot like minecaft except a bit more pleasing to look at IMO.

And Magicka is crazy addicting. You have 6 different elements and you combine five at a time to make over thousands of spells, then you can cast them as  an area of effect spell, a striaght bolt, or use them to enchant your weapon.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• CorkCorkCorkCorkCorkCork Member Posts: 70

If you are in desperate need of a total break from MMOs and Games, and love to read (or listen to an audio book) all kinds of books,

You may visit the hyperlink on my signature.

Whenever you are really bored and don't wanna play an MMO game, go to: http://librivox.org/

Hey hey hey heeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy.......

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I left MMOs back in mid 06. Played EQ 5 yrs, but grew tired of peoples online BS. Went back to console gaming after nearly a decade away, and havent looked back since.

I played part way thru Two Worlds 2. Havent been back. It does have an online portion to it as well as single player. The voice actors totally suck IMO.

Mass Effect 1 was a great RPG. MassEffect 2 cut out a lot of the RPG mechanics, going more with the 3rd person shooter mechanics. Two of my all time favorite games though.

I really enjoyed Dragon Age 2, but I know some folks havent. DA1 allowed for more choice in characters.

Have Dungeon Siege 3 already payed for, and am waiting for it to launch. Skyrim(elder scrolls 5) will be out 11-11-11. Oblivion is still a good play, and you can get it new plus expansions for between 20 & 30 depending on console or PC.

Fable 3 is a rental game IMO(bought it at launch). That franchise is highly over-rated AFAIAC.

If it wasnt for the game always freezing up, Fallout:Vegas would be something I would highly recommend.

The bad thing about X-Box 360 is it focuses on FPS/multi-player.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Portal 2 <- Really good game, it's easier than portal 1 but portal 2 is more fun.

Call of Duty Black Ops <- Really fun game. You do level and gain new weapons so you don't just play for fun if you hate that. But if you do just play for fun CoD Black Ops is a great game for you.

Brink <- Haven't played it but it looks really fun and seems like a game worth playing.

Team Fortress 2 <- Not new but extremely fun, this game is a must play ^^.

Left 4 Dead 2 <- Not new either but also extremely fun, if you like killing zombies or even playing zombies that kills humans then this is the game for you. There are lots of servers that modify the game and lets you play 10vs10, the game is originally 4vs4. Mods also increase the fun for both zombies and humans by giving you new special abilities and much more.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There is a new "Heros of might and magic" releasing soon, they are always fun to play. :)

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Divinity2 Dragon knight saga - great rpg!

Risen - good rpg!

Drakensang River of time -  great rpg!

Cant say Massive effect is RPG

Same for DA2 also not realy RPG

Fable 3 terible game.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Try Terraria. It's a fantastic game recently released on Steam for 10$. It's 2d side scroll with sprites, but the action and adventure is simply fantastic. I'm still a noob and it's surprisingly difficult. However, I  just got the grappling hook and that alone has changed so much and has opened up crazy fun.

Highly recommended