Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Realms Online , The new dark age of camelot?

Gregross111Gregross111 Member Posts: 52

Been playing Realms online for acouple weeks now, It is the North american Re-Release of Regnum online,  Where regnum was plauged by shitty customer support and basically no dev support Realms online takes a diff pace , with a new dev running the north american servers they have proven that even with free games you can be there for you players.  The game really feels like DAOC to me , old school daoc which for me is a good thing , I really love the fact that it goes back to the old " you have to read the quest text" to know what your doing and where your going, this is no easy mode mmorpg where a magic yellow arrow appears out of no where to point you to the exact location of the supposed "missing girl" in realms you really have to find the missing girl not just be pointed straight to her while you randomly finish 17 quest at the same time..  The PVE here is meant to give an on going story line and it even feels like the writers who wrote the quest dialog are from AAA titles like everquest 2 or something similar.  once u do the PVE for awhile of course you reach a certain level and you start doing RVR, or open world PVP in a siege setting. this is where the game really shines!  If you remember the keep battles of daoc days this is what realms online does the best.   Not to mention the game has an item shop that doesnt give players advantages over other players , its all just cosmetic stuff and exp potions , there is no pay 5 bucks get a new shiney axe that is better then any item in the game..  I really encourage ppl to check it out especially if you like older , sandbox style mmorpgs where it doenst matter if you grind , quest , or RVR , u do what you want and go where you please , quest hubs do exist but u its not like linear games like wow where u take the same path everytime u lvl.  Also there is 3 sides like daoc , 9 diff races, 3 classes , 6 sub classes. JOIN TODAY GUYS! 

Region:game samba , Server: Raven , 

www.Realmsonline.gamesamba.com , check the trailer! 

Comments

• SwagsurfinSwagsurfin Member Posts: 29

oooooohhh everything you said just appealed to me, I'm checking it out.

Everquest 1 was not eazymode at all and I know I should give up on the glory days, but I loved it.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

I played this a while back, the GMs were completely awesome. I had a quest where I had to dual someone, and the GM let me dual him. I really like this game. Had no one to play with so i got bored quickly.

Hey I got a question, as I'm downloading it now but are there no healing classes lmao?

• Gregross111Gregross111 Member Posts: 52

i think the conjurer takes the roll as healer , you go mage, then at lvl 10 conj. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I'm a DAOC vet.I have tried 2x to fall in love with this game.In both cases my attempts lasted less than one hour.IMO this game is not worth further comment.I hope others  find what they're looking for.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

I played it for a while. Never could find the one thing I missed the most about DAoC. A decent crafting system. Does this game even have castle sieges, crawling up walls, stealing of artifacts? What is the goal?

well first you have to actually reach RVR level , yes there are 2 forts 1 castle per realm ,if you actually read the website it goes into immense detail the goals of RVR , the questing system is old school , there is no raids or crafting system , this is a PVP game , there is lots of PVE story driven quest up till 44, then u mostly will be rvring after that, you dont even enter the warzone till 30 , so kind of hard for anyone to judge the game by playing the newb zone for 5 mins... fail

PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND REALMS ONLINE RVR 

http://realmsonline.gamesamba.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=14

also once u reach the dragon stage in an RVR invasion , that is where you can either debuff your enemies for weeks or buff your entire realm or you can even grant all the power to one member of the realm making him a demi god  giving them massive stat increase and size increase for a week.  

There is also a SWG jedi style secret class, in the since that u cannot start it but can earn it over immense amounts of time , the warmaster is what its called and its completely quested and rvred for.

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I'm a DAOC vet.I have tried 2x to fall in love with this game.In both cases my attempts lasted less than one hour.IMO this game is not worth further comment.I hope others  find what they're looking for.

in less then an hour you would have reached maybe lvl 4 or 5 , showing you about 0.1% of the games features

Originally posted by Warzod

I played it for a while. Never could find the one thing I missed the most about DAoC. A decent crafting system. Does this game even have castle sieges, crawling up walls, stealing of artifacts? What is the goal?

and for obvious reason this game will never be as good as dark age of camelot , it was the first and best RVR mmorpg and will always be, im not trying to say realms is better or as good even , just saying that it has more players then daoc and offers RVR and has a very similar graphics engine and style and the devs of realms online or regnum online have even been quoted saying there insperation for realms online or regnum was daoc , but they didnt want all the PVE aspects , just minimal enough to teach ppl there characters and to get to RVR the main attraction , realms online def is the RVR game right now.  as it has more players then warhammer or daoc combined.

and the best part , its 100% free so you cant really complain about anything.

So there are no siege engines, just banging on the door with your weapon and spells. No crafting system so everything is mob dropped/quested but there are no real quests or mobs after 44. So how do you get higher level gear? Just from RvR? Not saying that is bad just curious. Seems like putting all of your eggs in one basket to keep players coming back once they cap. No crafting to spend countless hours working on or craft driven economy for those that like to play the business/merchant aspect of the war. No resources on the frountier to fight over. No player housing or guild halls to doll up with hours of guild achievements to bleed subs out of its members. I mean, I am glad someone besides WAR took the DAoC torch and ran with it but... it really seems like they left behind the necessary feul to keep said torch burning. Eh, all the luck. If it makes enough to keep its servers up, it's a success right?

So there are no siege engines, just banging on the door with your weapon and spells. No crafting system so everything is mob dropped/quested but there are no real quests or mobs after 44. So how do you get higher level gear? Just from RvR? Not saying that is bad just curious. Seems like putting all of your eggs in one basket to keep players coming back once they cap. No crafting to spend countless hours working on or craft driven economy for those that like to play the business/merchant aspect of the war. No resources on the frountier to fight over. No player housing or guild halls to doll up with hours of guild achievements to bleed subs out of its members. I mean, I am glad someone besides WAR took the DAoC torch and ran with it but... it really seems like they left behind the necessary feul to keep said torch burning. Eh, all the luck. If it makes enough to keep its servers up, it's a success right?

not sure on the siege engines, There is no crafting system because they want hardcore pvpers not crafter/pve players that is not the point and the devs feel it will draw players out of the warzone.  after 44 you get most of your gear still from mob drops , RVR quest , or from your Realm points earned through RVR , Also keep in mind this is a free game not a AAA title like dark age of camelot so resources are limited,  As a person who loves PVE and PVP i find the game just right , by the time you get to 44 you really dont want to do any more PVE.  Im not really trying to defend the game you either like it or not , i just found it fun maybe not for ppl from the world of warcraft generation ( not pointed at anyone ) but old schoolers like my self will find the free and funess of it refreshing.  If you want AAA games with mega million dollar budgets that do everything in one game then obviously stick to pay to play games. imo

not sure about the rest of you guys , but this reminds me of dark age of camelot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbsIknesjE

also didnt say there wernt mobs after 44 , just that the PVE Quest in the inner realm , end at that lvl , because the devs want you to get the hell out of the inner realm and into the warzone where you will be RVRing 24/7 

Good points. OK, thank you for the review.

Also before i sign off here and back onto realms ,   Anyone who is wanting to join the game and start a new char etc, When you load up the game for the first time and put your password and username in , the launcher is going to ask you what region, make sure you select game samba , then it will ask you what server and that region only has one server, Raven so chose that one obviously , This is the new north american server with way better dev support and english speaking staff only. The other region is NGD studios which offers Horus , the international server, and RA the latin server. both old servers with 5 year vets who wish they could transfer to the new raven server ran by a much more capable company , playing on the raven server the game is called realms online while on the other 2 server in the other region selection it is regnum online. 

The raven server has only been online since the begining of this month, may. so good time to start playing 

Yeah dude, I'm a 21 conjurer on raven, in game name as brejik

Originally posted by Swagsurfin

Yeah dude, I'm a 21 conjurer on raven, in game name as brejik

Im 33 Hunter , Death Mcqueen Raven, me and a few good dudes got our own clan going if your intersted hit me up in game. Course we are looking for 21+ players , but if you are semi mature that works too , we have our own mumble server which is a tool like ventrilo , 

• mafia514mafia514 Member Posts: 148

Hey first off thanks for the post i ve never played DAOC but i heared alot about the pvp so am downloading the game and will start playing tonight hope it is worth downloading :P

edited.

But all in all , its free so you cant really complain,

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

Originally posted by Gregross111

Been playing Realms online for acouple weeks now, It is the North american Re-Release of Regnum online,  Where regnum was plauged by shitty customer support and basically no dev support Realms online takes a diff pace , with a new dev running the north american servers they have proven that even with free games you can be there for you players.  The game really feels like DAOC to me , old school daoc which for me is a good thing , I really love the fact that it goes back to the old " you have to read the quest text" to know what your doing and where your going, this is no easy mode mmorpg where a magic yellow arrow appears out of no where to point you to the exact location of the supposed "missing girl" in realms you really have to find the missing girl not just be pointed straight to her while you randomly finish 17 quest at the same time..  The PVE here is meant to give an on going story line and it even feels like the writers who wrote the quest dialog are from AAA titles like everquest 2 or something similar.  once u do the PVE for awhile of course you reach a certain level and you start doing RVR, or open world PVP in a siege setting. this is where the game really shines!  If you remember the keep battles of daoc days this is what realms online does the best.   Not to mention the game has an item shop that doesnt give players advantages over other players , its all just cosmetic stuff and exp potions , there is no pay 5 bucks get a new shiney axe that is better then any item in the game..  I really encourage ppl to check it out especially if you like older , sandbox style mmorpgs where it doenst matter if you grind , quest , or RVR , u do what you want and go where you please , quest hubs do exist but u its not like linear games like wow where u take the same path everytime u lvl.  Also there is 3 sides like daoc , 9 diff races, 3 classes , 6 sub classes. JOIN TODAY GUYS! 

Region:game samba , Server: Raven , 

www.Realmsonline.gamesamba.com , check the trailer! 

im bumping this topic cos i am a fan of the game.

i think the quests for levelling are just fun things and you can level to about 20 i think just with quests. 

but for me the big thing in the game is the team pvp. i havent played DAOC but crafting just doesn't interest me so I am happy they left that out. And yes it is true, in Realms Online it is open sandbox. You can go hunt people, grind, quest, explore anything you want  anytime. You can grind in enemy terriory or your own. You can chat freely in your own realm (can get pretty chatty).

maybe some comment about classes. I playe a hunter (stealth assasin type), but other classes from my experience are :-

1) Conjurer (healer): A lot of people say htis class is the number 1 most dangerous and most important to kill in team pvp. That's ecaue it keeps healing everyone. There's a spell for Archers which lets you sort of semi silence them. So thats really good for annoying "conjus".

2) Warlocks. These are massive pvp damage dealers  and you cannot let one run around unchecke din battle or else it will sneak up and kill everyone.

3) Marksman (Heavy hitter archer): These guys are true war archers and will kill Hunters (stealth assasin style arhcers) in 1v1 unless you are very veyr careful.

4) Barbarians: These are the biggest melee damage hitters of the game. Theyrun super fast and can one  to twohit kill many lower level players if they have the right combo set up. Quite a murderous carnage style class.

5) Knight: heavy defence very nice armour style class. Can really stand and take damage with their shielding block ability. Does decent damage.

Anyway hope that gives you guys an idea.  feel free to ask questions!