Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allot of people want to see Innovation in MMORPG these days.

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Full blown Innovation from combat to crafting etc to the point even a small amount of Innovation like in MxO, AoC, TERA, GW2, ToR, WoWcata, RIFT, Archage and B&S was and will be something but not good enough. I feel that  very soon the Innovation we seek will come true, allot of us think that but then what, will we get bored with Innovation?

Comments

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

...will we get bored with innovation? Are you sure you understand what innovation means?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I disagree image. A lot of people want a relief of their boredom or something which will cause them to be swept away again while playing an MMORPG.

A subtle but significant difference.

Innovation may be the trigger that will be a breath of fresh air and be a relief of their boredom. Or innovation may not do it for them as well, or maybe only for a few weeks of intensive gameplay after which they end up with the same jadedness and MMO boredom.

In the same line, I bet that if a sandbox type of MMO will arrive with the type of gameplay that UO and SWG had and with hardly any innovation at all besides that, that a number of those people calling for innovation as the magic bullet will say 'this is exactly what I meant' when they start playing that new UO/SWG like MMO image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• IfeedtrollsIfeedtrolls Member Posts: 122

Your topic really confuses me, but it was stated prior my post, that people want something to keep them from boredom. When people get bored of a mmorpg or have experienced every possible thing they could, they obviously want to find something new. But if a MMO has so many skills and different quests to level and complete, it takes time and the longer the time, the more time the player stays.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I disagree image. A lot of people want a relief of their boredom or something which will cause them to be swept away again while playing an MMORPG.

A subtle but significant difference.

Innovation may be the trigger that will be a breath of fresh air and be a relief of their boredom. Or innovation may not do it for them as well, or maybe only for a few weeks of intensive gameplay after which they end up with the same jadedness and MMO boredom.

In the same line, I bet that if a sandbox type of MMO will arrive with the type of gameplay that UO and SWG had and with hardly any innovation at all besides that, that a number of those people calling for innovation as the magic bullet will say 'this is exactly what I meant' when they start playing that new UO/SWG like MMO image

The design of those games dont require any additional innovation. We are the content, if we want to innovate, we innovate. No need to wait for devs. Just supply tools and get out of the way please. So you sir are correct!!! See i agree with you sometimes.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Sorry if  I confused all of you but I also think you all understand a bit of what I was trying to say. Innovation to me in the MMORPG world mean big new changes from the old MMORPG mechanics, new ideas, risk. What if we get tired of the new mechanics?

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by slim26

Sorry if  I confused all of you but I also think you all understand a bit of what I was trying to say. Innovation to me in the MMORPG world mean big new changes from the old MMORPG mechanics, new ideas, risk. What if we get tired of the new mechanics?

That doesn't seem possible. You can dislike every change that they come up with but that's not the same as being bored of change.

The closest I can get to your point of view is saying that focus and polish are also important, and that those can only happen as many games with similar features are made over and over. At some point, if more and more MMOs take radical leaps away from each other and cater to very different playstyles and niche audiences, we could start wishing for a developer to take some of our favorite ideas—the ones with a lot of potential—and concentrate on making them better rather than devoting all of their time and money to put in untried concepts that haven't been touched yet. But even that is a far cry from being "bored" of innovation.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Innovation may be the wrong word. Perhaps revolution is what we truly seek.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Depends on if the new mechanics open up  infinite gameplay possiblities, or still only allow you to do the same one thing, but differently.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

People would eventually. That would be the point where the field would be ripe (as it is now) for a studio to introduce something groundbreaking and make a killing. It's a neverending cycle.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Palebane

Innovation may be the wrong word. Perhaps revolution is what we truly seek.

Nice.

As I'm won person that wants innovation let me say this.

Most current MMOs bore me and it seems only logical that the same old is boring you that you need something new.

Also, we should have come a lot further in the genre. I can't believe that genrea with easily >$750 million invested in just the development can't think of anything new and entertaining in seven years except for the reason taht they simply are not trying.

They have no intent to entertain the board gamers when a large number of children turn 12 every year. (Sarcasm, I just mean that there's no point in trying to find innovation for us when new gamers will buy into the same old.)

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Disdena

That doesn't seem possible. You can dislike every change that they come up with but that's not the same as being bored of change.

The closest I can get to your point of view is saying that focus and polish are also important, and that those can only happen as many games with similar features are made over and over. At some point, if more and more MMOs take radical leaps away from each other and cater to very different playstyles and niche audiences, we could start wishing for a developer to take some of our favorite ideas—the ones with a lot of potential—and concentrate on making them better rather than devoting all of their time and money to put in untried concepts that haven't been touched yet. But even that is a far cry from being "bored" of innovation.

I could see it happening that if every new MMO feels the need the do things differently that people can get fed up with innovation.

When the industry is constantly throwing new things at you but even though all those new things are really imaginitive and well-thought out you just want a recreation of a 10 year old game but with better graphics and networking.

I mean there's innovation for practical reasons because it will actually improve things and there's innovation just for innovation's sake. Doing things differently just for the sake of doing them differently.

Some things simply work and don't really need any innovation. Round wheels are great, making them in any other shape, while very innovative, probably isn't a great idea and wouldn't lead to customer satisfaction.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Some things simply work and don't really need any innovation. Round wheels are great, making them in any other shape, while very innovative, probably isn't a great idea and wouldn't lead to customer satisfaction.
    We should be on hovercraft by now. Wheels are for sissies.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Interesting analogy, expanded to transportation in general. One of the many reasons we've only begun to make inroads into alternative forms of fuel and power is because we've only recently started the mass effort  to spend time and money towards that effort. If we would have begun the wide research into this years ago, we'd be much further along now than we already are.

(Conspiricay theories being what they are, not considering conspiracy theories).

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

As long as it's a hovercraft with fish-shaped wheels. Wouldn't really be innovative otherwise......

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

It's amazing how content and settled so many are who enjoy mmorpgs. Perfect little consumers, really ;)

People need to realize that change is a good thing and this genre is going to need it sooner than later if it hopes to have anything resembling a future. Something's gotta give.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by gobla

As long as it's a hovercraft with fish-shaped wheels. Wouldn't really be innovative otherwise......

Good thing no innovation occured in how we make those wheels go 'round.

No one is asking for all new never seen before avatars. Let us play as donkeymen and sausage people for something new!!!

We're asking for something else to do with our wheel.

See you in the dream..

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Ah yes, so many people claimoring for innovation, yet shunning anything with it.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Consumers dont shun innovation or advances or amalgamations; consumers adopt them.  But at the same time, with entertainment, everyone has their own threshold of attention-span with said evolutionary steps. 

What consumers dont generally get appreciate is some snake-oil that claims to be innovative when it isnt.  There isnt much this market can do to appease everyone, but there was certainly enough amalgamation advances to sell millions of games over the last several years, and there are millions of gamers that are waiting on the next entertainment outlet.  It's a cycle that will never be broken.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by Swanea

Ah yes, so many people claimoring for innovation, yet shunning anything with it.

That's what I see all the time. People want innovation but they want certain things to be exactly the same or it's too unfamiliar and confusing. Problem is people pick and choose different aspects they want to keep or forgo. For some it might be simple things like UI and controls, for others they want as much handholding as possible (questlogs with detailed instructions, arrows, !, ?, highlighted glowing stuff that says kill this guy here!), some want auctions houses, some don't, I think you get the point. So if we as consumers can't even agree on small arbitrary things like this how would we ever agree on gigantic sweeping changes that everyone seems to want but if they ever got probably wouldn't like because it would be to confusing or unfamiliar.

Originally posted by Cecropia

It's amazing how content and settled so many are who enjoy mmorpgs. Perfect little consumers, really ;)

People need to realize that change is a good thing and this genre is going to need it sooner than later if it hopes to have anything resembling a future. Something's gotta give.

Change is like most things in life. Bad when absent but even worse when there's too much of it.

But as far as this genre goes right now definitely sooner rather then later. We've had a period of stagnation so it's time for new things ( which are coming, just look at GW2, TSW and ArcheAge ) before another period of stagnation.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

What games and innovations did so many people shun?

See you in the dream..

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by k11keeper

That's what I see all the time. People want innovation but they want certain things to be exactly the same or it's too unfamiliar and confusing. Problem is people pick and choose different aspects they want to keep or forgo. For some it might be simple things like UI and controls, for others they want as much handholding as possible (questlogs with detailed instructions, arrows, !, ?, highlighted glowing stuff that says kill this guy here!), some want auctions houses, some don't, I think you get the point. So if we as consumers can't even agree on small arbitrary things like this how would we ever agree on gigantic sweeping changes that everyone seems to want but if they ever got probably wouldn't like because it would be to confusing or unfamiliar.

BINGO!

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

I don't believe it is innovation or anything else people are really looking for. I think people are trying to recapture the grandure and epic feeling when they stepped into their first mmorpg. For some it was a fantasy world and for others it was a more sci fi one.

I also truthfully believe that no matter how many tools the players have at their disposel to make their own content, eventually people will ask for more content and that will lead to the devs stepping in and the game will take on more themepark aspects and the cycle would start over again.

Really, EVE, SWG, those games had and still have the tools to let people make their own content and you don't see people by the millions playing them, why is that. Is it because they are old games or is it because the majority of mmo gamers really don't want to have to make their own content. I really don't think there's an easy answer.

If innovation is what people want i believe that will come as technology gets smarter and faster. I can envision 3d virtual worlds that gamers will be able to step into and feel like they are actually part of the gaming world, where you are your own avatar. Sort of getting jacked into the gaming world. Now that would be innovation wouldn't it.

Could you imagine stepping into a world where you are in the game, bradishing different weapons, talking to AI and actually being part of that game world. What you have now is the same stuff being tweaked and repackaged and really that is all technology at this point can deliver.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by musicmann

I don't believe it is innovation or anything else people are really looking for. I think people are trying to recapture the grandure and epic feeling when they stepped into their first mmorpg. For some it was a fantasy world and for others it was a more sci fi one.

This is absolutely true for many.  But again, it wont happen since we, as consumers, have engaged in the product and what was first experienced can never be regained.  Its a matter of accepting evolutionary steps, for me at least, from one game to the next and enjoy the journey to end-game or max-level cap, and drop it.  Drop it, since every end-game mmorpg is nothing more than being locked into grinding the same dungeon over and over or locked into grinding the same shoe-box third-person shooter minimap over and over again.

If only I wasn't "locked" into a game-play environment that was so inorganic and flat.  But then again, that's open to opinion.

• IfeedtrollsIfeedtrolls Member Posts: 122

Well I guess we would go to the old ones we liked or just hope they come out with something better.