Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: The #1 Reason You are Going to Play Guild Wars 2

InkRavenInkRaven Member Posts: 26

Guild Wars 2 has a lot of selling points - what is your personal #1 reason to play Guild Wars 2?

I didn't put an "I can't decide" or "everything" option because I know everyone is probably going to pick those. Don't think too hard, just pick one! :)

Comments

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Their really can't be any #1 reason, there is always a combination of reasons that weigh equally.

• InkRavenInkRaven Member Posts: 26

There's always a #1. Always...

• x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

Its made by ArenaNet.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I picked WvW. I missed out on DAoC in it's heyday and have always regretted it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by x0eclipse

Its made by ArenaNet.

Amen Brother, Amen!

• InkRavenInkRaven Member Posts: 26

Lol, I should've put that.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I think it's a comnbination of all the neat things the game is going to bring. When it really comes down to it though, if it wasn't free each month I'm not convinced I would be buying it. If it blows me away though? I might just cancel jumping into some new pay to play game in the future.

• OberonnOberonn Member Posts: 59

Hard question, because there are so many reasons that go into a decision like playing an MMO for a long period of tie, but I chose No Monthly fee since that is why I still play GW1 after so much time.

Oberon

• gundamwinggundamwing Member Posts: 49

Its made by ArenaNet.

This ^

But that is not the only reason. I love the lore in GW and also enjoyed playing the different professions. The new ones in Guild Wars 2 look great and I will be playing a lot of alts. I also like the races and will have at least one of each race, though my main and first character will be a Female Norn ranger or Engineer. World vs World looks great, I enjoyed the PvP in GW so I should enjoy GW2 PvP even more.

There are other things that I like about GW2 such as the mini games that they will be adding in the capital city that you can compete against other players for high scores. There is just too much to list on the things that I like in GW2 but I think that the number one reason is that it is made by ArenaNet.

Games playing: Lotro,Fallen Earth,Star Trek Online.
    Games playing casually: CoX,Guild Wars,FFXIV,Champions Online,DDO.
    Games Played: WoW,DR,L2,RoM,FFXI,Earthrise,EQ2,DAoC,WAR,Rift,Alganon,EVE,G&H Rome Rising.
    Waiting for: Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    PC Specs: Intel i7 990x 3.5ghz, 6gb ddr3 Ram,EVGA GTX 570 SC FTW,EVGA x58 Classified 4-way SLI MB, 2TB HDD 7200rpm, 60GB Intel SSD: OS Drive, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Westinghouse 21 in. 1680x1050.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

none of the above. Going to play so I can come to these boards and troll the fans of gwII, and know what I am talking about imageok  j/king aside, I am probably going to play because it wont have a sub and I can pick it up every now and then, kind of a suplement game to a subscription based mmo.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

It's the subvert damn near everything attitude that got me into Guild Wars 2, ArenaNet are doing that a lot, so much so that I'm not even convinced at all that the dragons are the bad guys of the piece (they are in a way, but it's more the end justifies the means), I'll share my theories on that some time if anyone's interested. But they like to subvert things, over and over.

• Tribal? - Normally native american, subverted with nodic elements and celtic warrior hero overtones.

• Beast Race? - Normally barely sapient, not at all intelligent, subverted by having them be the most technologically advanced race on the planet.

• Gnomes? - Normally the techno-tinkers, subverted by having them use a form of alchemical science-magic which is well researched rather than just all being crazy techno contraptions.

• Dryads? - Normally just these people who're in tune with nature, subverted by being of nature but not being quite so in tune with it, and having a hivemind.

• Steampunk? - No, clockpunk. I still love that.

• The Good Gaiz! - Normally a bunch of races who can do no evil, subverted by every race having shades of grey and questionable ethics. MMORPGs are usually so black & white.

• The Bad Gaiz! - Normally a static, faceless foe. More shades of grey in Guild Wars 2, sides could switch at any moment. See: Centaurs, Skritt, Hylek, Grawl, and so on.

• Of Yore. - Many fantasy games tend to go with medieval England as a setting for their humans, something that even Dragon Age suffers terribly with, but here it's Renaissance Italy. Renaissance Italy is cool.

• The Enemy of my Enemy. - Again, normally things are black & white, but they seem much more political in GW2.

• Ents are Fantasy Robots. - Normally this is true, but in Guild Wars 2 you actually have robots (albeit partly magical) in the form of effigies and golems. And goodness knows what this charr-looking thing is.

Not to mention the subversions of mechanics. E.G.: Every MMORPG needs quests. It's like they just wanted to upend as much of the whole fantasy thing in regards to MMORPGs and games in general as they could. The only thing that really disappoints me is that the professions are so familiar, that is a bit sad, because really they could've dropped a few of the more common ones in favour of stuff that's much more inventive and uncommon. But I can understand why they did that, they have to have some sort of hook for the mainstream.

But yeah, I'm drawn to how fresh and interesting it all feels... the emphasis on exploration, and how you can be rewarded for that, which is something that I'ev never really seen an MMORPG really do before either (every MMORPG I've played that isn't a sandbox MMORPG tends to be a very linear A-to-B affair, less so GW2), so that's also awesome.

Then there's the whole - no forced profession grouping thing (YAY~), no mounts (hooray!), and whatnot.

It's just this... challenge everything (:p) kind of attitude they have. Unlike EA, they want to change it all. That's what I find so refreshing, they just want to turn everything on its head, everything. The lore many gamers expect, the mechanics, the sort of world... everything. They just want to say, well, right, here's what you expect... boom! Gone. Now here's what we're offering. And it's really cool. I don't see anyone else actually doing that in the MMORPG field.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

No Sub duh, I will pay the price of a single player game and get more from it (I hope,something is horribly wrong if not), so I see no reason not to try it.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

The MAIN reason.....world vs world conflict.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

if I am honest with myself it's the fact that is it's going to be a f2P MT nor is going to be a themepark game that demands more then it's worth.  I would probably play if it was P2P but I wouldn't play it as long.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

My main reason would have to be World v World

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Its made by ArenaNet.

this and because of the implementation of all the things that are going into this game.  It is not a matter of a feature being in the game, but rather a feature's implementation.

For example:

it is not the fact that there is crafting or dynamic events or action combat, but that they are being implemented in a way such that they are complementary to the other parts of the game, all seeking to fulfill a single goal...an MMO based on cooperation, not competition.  Even WvWvW PvP is about cooperation on a casual level (as opposed to a stressfully intense level) as well as competition.

THAT is why I will play GW2

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• myheartspitsmyheartspits Member Posts: 7

Skill-based combat. That's my number one reason... aside from the fact that I'm nearly 100% sure it'll be a great game on nearly all fronts.

• StinglockStinglock Member Posts: 5

There is only one simple reason why I am playing GW2, and strangely enough it was the same reason why I played GW in the first place and it's something that not many MMO's have so I'm kind of confused why it was left off the list of reasons....

Skill Based Combat/PVP

8 skills in combat was awesome, re-rolling pvp toons was awesome, I also hear they are sticking with the limited skills but adding a few extra slots in per character, this is a great idea!

I guess you can't have played GW 1 if you left this off the list, it's what sets this game apart imho. Not the art, lore, professions or music.

EDIT: Myheartsplits clearly has played GW1, the rest in this thread, not so much.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Well, I love all those reasons, but the number one for me has to be Dynamic Events. I have had quite enough ot people standing around, patiently waiting for me to kill the monsters, thank you.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

The Art, Lore, Personal Story, Music, Dynamic Events, and active combat....I really am looking forward to my first "fight to survive" downed situation...stupid, I know.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by InkRaven

There's always a #1. Always...

Well, basically there is.....

But my number one reason is : Because the complete package feels innovating enough to give me a fresh player experience...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

2 reasons only for me and thats spell combo's and the enginering   class thats really it.  I just hope the PVP is team based like early GW.

• OszyOszy Member UncommonPosts: 87

i played DAoC so i want my end game to be W vs W vs W.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Community.  Based on my experience with GuildWars, there's fewer antagonists than any other game I've played.

I'm hoping for the same with GW2.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DoktaduckDoktaduck Member UncommonPosts: 6

The reason would be , "I played and loved GW1"

Yes everything looks pretty good at the moment, but the core reason I'll play it is above :)