Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the catch?

drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

This game seems to good to be true...free 2 play, sandbox features yet still a game I can play casually, interesting skill system, etc. So why is it not more publicised? Or is it just not big on this site.

Does it have some glarring problem like horrible combat/no content? I'm downloading now but I was just amazed that I've never heard of this game before.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i love its anime style, but gameplay is not really....... fun ?

edit: idk as of today, but when i played it the user interface was terrible also

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Last time I tried it (several years ago, in fact) combat was just... bad. Really, really bad. Based more on luck than anything else. Also, there's something where you need a cash shop item to 'rebirth' your character every so often... like I said before, it's been years. Hopefully someone else with a bit more recent experience/knowledge will reply.

The game is free though. All you'll lose from trying it is time.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

It's a great game but it's cell shaded custom drawn art style doesn't really appeal to a large audience. Also it's just a different type of mmo, it's more social in a second life kind of way while keeping some rpg elements. Again I don't think that style appeals to that many players though. Either way it's a great game for what it's supposed to be.

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

The UI is incredible....I'm sick of seeing everyone say it's not, especially when it's one of the 3 games I've ever played that actually requires skill <.<

Nobody who said otherwise got far in the game. Their rock-sack brains didn't understand why every attack made an enemy flinch and what that just might mean. 

They were right about the grind a few years ago, though. Mainstream quests were for P2P customers only, but every single one of them is free now, and reborns are free too(reborns reset your level but let you keep your skill ranks....and skill ranks are infinitely more important than levels in this game).

The combat at level one is boring when you're fighting 1 on 1 but there's multi aggro in every single dungeon after Alby dungeon, and it's only simple at level one so you can get used to the combat. I can hardly believe how many newbies I see getting pwned by wolves 1 on 1, but it does happen, and they wouldn't stand any chance at all in Ciar dungeon solo if they can't kill a wolf.....

NOOBS keep saying that melee is the only effective build, but they're very, very wrong. In fact I think pure melee is the least effective build if you're anything other than a giant. Higher skill ranks make skills load faster....making them way more powerful.

If you don't want to sit around and watch your character fight, this is the game for you. 

Get to Ciar Dungeon once you've got every single one of your basic melee and magic skills, or every single basic archery skill, and go through it before you decide whether or not this game is worth your time. 

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by Feverfew

Nobody who said otherwise got far in the game. Their rock-sack brains didn't understand why every attack ...

Let's not insult people please.

• SeinaruSeinaru Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 109

People that say that the combat system sucks have only played the game for a few minutes. There's a learning curve. Combat is incredibly skill based. Granted combat is pretty dull in the beginning but it's a lot funner when you get to more challenging places.

And yeah rebirthing is free now, once every 3 weeks, but you can pay to rebirth once every week. Still, I don't consider the game to be very pay to win.

The thing that makes it so bad though is the grind. There's a grind in pretty much everything in the game. The entire dungeoning system gets excrutiatingly boring after a while because there are really only a few different room types. Leveling crafting ("life") skills consists of getting thousands of materials (think spending hours on end picking up spiderwebs in the graveyard or shearing sheep or walking along a beach picking up ores) and making hundreds of items from those. In fact life skills are typically money drains that are just used for stat boosts. Also, the graphics are really outdated. And once you get past a certain level each lifetime it feels like it's not worth leveling. It takes like a week to get to around this point. That leaves you sitting around not doing much of anything the other two weeks of the lifetime.

Well anyways I'd still highly recommend it. I love the game but you get really tired of it after a while. It makes a good casual game.

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Yeah, I don't get it. This game has a lot of the features that people say they want, but its largely ignored. It has, active skill based combat, randomized dungeons, sandbox elements and social aspects. It's one of the few games that make you feel like you're living a life in it.
    The one issue I had with the game is that you pretty much have to buy a horse (cash shop) otherwise you'll spend hours going from place to place. And they aren't cheap. It's a big world (or maybe it seems big when you don't have a hose)
    Great game though. I'd play it if it were P2P
  • DrognakDrognak Member Posts: 4

The game's UI is just as good/bad as EVE's UI, but slightly toned down.

The combat is not random. If you have clear mind leveled, you can see what an enemies preparing and have a few seconds to counter.

I wanted to get those across before saying what's the "catch" of Mabinogi.

The catch is there are no free mounts in the game. To have fun, and not take a quarter of your gametime running to and fro, you need to buy a mount ($10-15). If you explore the newer areas, a flying mount would cut time down even more (another $10-15). But once you get your mounts, you can play Mabinogi just as any other P2P MMO and have no content locked from you (besides making your own guild).

There is a monthly sub option ($11 a month), but it's only benefits are being able to make your own guild, receive an accessory each week, and double bank space. But if you have a land and air mount, there inventory space is more than the extra bank space.

The game, IMO, is a perfect mix of themepark and sandbox. It has dungeons, field bosses, etc. But it also has in depth crafting, social features (housing, clothing, etc), and land control.

If your looking for an MMO that's more structured than sandboxes such as EVE or Wurm, but want guidance when you feel like following a storyline or dungeons, then give Mabinogi a try.

I've been playing for a over a year on the Mari server. In game name's Drognak if you want any help starting off.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Last time I tried it (several years ago, in fact) combat was just... bad. Really, really bad. Based more on luck than anything else. Also, there's something where you need a cash shop item to 'rebirth' your character every so often... like I said before, it's been years. Hopefully someone else with a bit more recent experience/knowledge will reply.

Then you didn't even know how to perform combat. Combat relies heavily on skills.

Most noobs make a mistake of using the normal attack.. if enemy is also using it, there's 1/3 chance of enemy striking you, 1/3 of you striking enemy and 1/3 of both striking each other. No one, besides noobs who have played less than 3 days, use it.

You don't need cash shop to rebirth. You can do 1 free rebirth once every 3 weeks.

See? Both of your arguments were caused by ignorance.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Drognak

The combat is not random. If you have clear mind leveled, you can see what an enemies preparing and have a few seconds to counter.

Just like to add to this point, you don't need Clear Mind. In fact, North America and Europe are the only server that has Clear Mind. It's actually not necessary at all.  Each monsters have their patterns/AI settings, the trick is to figure out the patterns and fight accordingly.

For exemple, (Blue) Rat Man's pattern can be read by reading what they say (they have chat bubbles). Wisps use a system of "!" "!!" "!!!" "!!!!" and "!!!!!" which represents Normal Attack, Defense, Lightning Bolt, Smash, and Counterattack. Kobold and Goblins will often use Smash but walk (instead of running) as if they were using Defense and run after a few seconds, etc. List goes on like that.

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

I downloaded and run the game just to find that I can't play , says that my region ' UK ' isn't served ! Is there a way so I can play and give it a try ?

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Originally posted by Masa1

Then you didn't even know how to perform combat. Combat relies heavily on skills.

Most noobs make a mistake of using the normal attack.. if enemy is also using it, there's 1/3 chance of enemy striking you, 1/3 of you striking enemy and 1/3 of both striking each other. No one, besides noobs who have played less than 3 days, use it.

You don't need cash shop to rebirth. You can do 1 free rebirth once every 3 weeks.

He wasn't ignorant, he said it has been years and someone who has played more recently may be able to give more accurate information. Fun fact, most noobs don't read entire posts or miss the meaning.

Originally posted by angerbeaver

Originally posted by Masa1

He wasn't ignorant, he said it has been years and someone who has played more recently may be able to give more accurate information. Fun fact, most noobs don't read entire posts or miss the meaning.

The part of the combat system I talked about has always been there. Even when the game was in beta. So he is ignorant.

Originally posted by Fehd

I downloaded and run the game just to find that I can't play , says that my region ' UK ' isn't served ! Is there a way so I can play and give it a try ?

Did you try MabinogiUSA or MabinogiEU? I'm fairly certain that EU server allows UK players in...

The bad news is that I just recently tried the EU server and it's empty. You are going to have a hard time to get anyone to play with you.

• FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64

I think I downloaded the USA game , thought it would work for EU but it didn't . I will look at the the EU site .. thanks .