Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runes of Magic: 2011 Re-Review

2»

Comments

• blackst0rmblackst0rm Member CommonPosts: 19

Being a former end game player... it takes, yes, alot of irl money and time to keep up with the best. With some of the mid 2010 patches came an easy slide to endgame called "pearl events" by most. These events have you work as a group to kill mobs in a time period and the boss to gain "pearls" which can them be exchanged for "mementos" to buy stats and gear which also can be obtained from instances..

So in other words, people would sit at these events all day, build up their gear and know absolutely shit all about the instance, but still think their badass with all this gear they earned sitting around. People who like to pve(like me) did actual raiding to get my own gear and stats.. This is single handedly what changed the game in a big way..

Before this, it took many many many instance runs to get the perfect stats and gear to become a decent player, but now its just afk, get gear/stats from events, know nothing in instances, but have all the endgame gear and not put it to good use... lame and sad.

Final thing is... you can get to lvl cap in like 2-3 days if u spend a shitload of $$$ and become better geared then some endgamers which is pathetic. Yes i know this game is free, but once u really decide to get into this game you'll end up dishing out, it takes wayy to damn long to get endgame if you decide to stay f2p your whole time on RoM.. so ya, uninstalled and glad its gone!!!

• chung93chung93 Member Posts: 1

i going to try the game out what's ur in game name?

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Re-Review:

Pros: You choose.

Cons:

Endgame will cost $$$.

Huge advantage of p2p players over f2p.

Instances (engame dungeons) are very hard, almost undoable if you are not imba geared ( geared = spent $$$ in cash shop or use hacks, bots, exploits to make gold/diamonds).

Totally class unbalanced game - scouts are overpower class, mages are dead. Last 2 introduced instances Kawak's Tomb and Raksha temple are in 90% done with scouts, knight and priest.

In EU, there are no bans for bots, goldsellers, scammers and hackers.

No GM's on EU forums.

Poor or almost non-exist support.

Thousands and thousands hacked accounts.

Some cash shop items are "scam", like jewels to upgrade equipment. 

+ more and more really bad things.

• nonpersonnonperson Member Posts: 8

As far as the review goes, it's lacking and shallow.  Honestly if you guys are going to do re-reviews really dig into a game, otherwise whats the point?

Anyway as for my thoughts on this particular title, I'll start by saying RoM had potential.  However what potential it had has since been squandered away with little hope of it seeing the light of day ever again.

Frankly IMO RoM simply exists to make other decent F2P games look bad IMO.  I played the game from beta till summer of 2010 and finally just had to call it quits.  The community at the time was toixic.  Huge amounts of content was simply broken, from quest to instances etc.  The investment needed to really play the game was absured.  Class balance, while never a strong suite for online games in general, was so perversely bad it it was nearly unbearable.  Yet despite all that was wrong what did their dev's do, kept rolling out more broken content instead of fixing any of what came before it.

If someone asked me to recommend a good F2P game I'd prob direct them to any of Nexon's titles, PWE's Forsaken World, DDO, LotRO, EQ2X, or even Allods.  RoM wouldn't even be a consideration, which is sad considering I did truely used to enjoy the game before it started to spiral downhill.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

i would say...RoM tried it, but it didnt go as planned but they had to bring it out on the market because they needed the money....feels like that to me

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

You aren't forced to go to the Allods boutique but you can get gPotatoes for free which enables you to enjoy the game even further. So far, I haven't needed to grind. In fact I think there are t o many quests but they aren't all "Go kill 100 folves" but are more exciting and have engaging storyline that you actually want to read and so far whilst playing, I haven't met a spammer or troll. Allods was review to early.

I played RoM for about 2 week then got bored because I could find anything to do. For the 6 hour download and the 1 hour patching time, it's so not worth it.

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by cappytoi

Originally posted by nonperson

As far as the review goes, it's lacking and shallow.  Honestly if you guys are going to do re-reviews really dig into a game, otherwise whats the point?

{mod edit}

If you have any questions or concerns about how mmorpg.com conducts its reviews or advertises games then please feel free to contact MikeB.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

if I was inclined to go back to a fantasy MMO Runes of Magic would be where I went. I played RoM on a pvP server for about 8 months and stopped playing shortly after the Chapter 2 Elven Legacy expansion came out.

Its very good and I guite liked the multiclassing, the cash shop is also mainly full of convenience items with a couple of things that might give you a minor edge in PvP if you rolled on a PvP server.

Good game, good community & interesting world with loads of content & areas to explore. Whats not to like ?

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

I dumped this game after support could give a poo less about screwing up the look (unplayable and un wareable error) of the armour I paid for from the cash shop. Never playing this peice of doggy duty again.

• blackst0rmblackst0rm Member CommonPosts: 19

Originally posted by Alx_Starfire

I dumped this game after support could give a poo less about screwing up the look (unplayable and un wareable error) of the armour I paid for from the cash shop. Never playing this peice of doggy duty again.

yep, u pay out the ass using irl $$ to be good for a month or two before rom decides to make a new patch withb etter stats and ull have to remake ur entire gear.. This game is just a major money grabber nowadays, and btw on the pvp servers u can drop gear u spent hundreds of irl dollars on and sell the money go down the drain... really stupid

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Gregross111

Screw allods and runes of magic , Everyone should check out Realms Online, its the re release of regnum online in north america , but NGD isnt the ones running the show its a new dev called Game samba they have awsome customer support, good GMs , population is steadily growing on a brand new server called raven, RVR is already kicking off , good PVE sandbox feel until the RVR starts , its a great game and  its 100% free heres the nice part, it has an item shop but the items you can purchase from it give you absolutely no edge over anyone in combat, you cannot buy "I want to be leet" potions , its all just cosmetic and stuff to make the game easier to reach end lvl , mounts etc, nothing like raid gear u can buy with real money or anything like that, if you never want to spend a dime you will have the same gear as the ppl spending money its that simple check it out we could use some more peeps on the new NA server raven! ,

it doesnt matter who runs realms / regnum online.... the game is still bad.... even king of kings 3 is more fun

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Originally posted by Soliloquy

{mod edit}

If you have any questions or concerns about how mmorpg.com conducts its reviews or advertises games then please feel free to contact MikeB.

Wait, did we get 1 of them to admit this is just an advertismenet for the game?!

Could it be?!!!

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

This was a fun game to me for quite a while, but beware like others have said the end game is expensive if you are going to fully enjoy it..

And their mall is enticing with daily and weekly sales added to 50% to 125% free diamonds that are occasionally on sale will cause a buying fury!

In the end i was easily spending 25 bucks a month on this game and sometimes more..

However if you dont mind endlessly grinding for gold and being under equipped at times then this game can be played even into the endgame totally for free..

Playing GW2..

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by zellmer

Originally posted by Soliloquy

{mod edit}

Wait, did we get 1 of them to admit this is just an advertismenet for the game?!

Could it be?!!!

No

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

Made it to level 31. Then I started paying attention to my secondary class, and well... the fact that you have to redo quests to level it made me turn away from the game. I don't think ill be going back.

• Ken66Ken66 Member Posts: 1

ROM customer service is basically not operational. I paid some real money to up my gears. However, my gear bonus spec is not added to my toon. I reported that problem and send some reminders for 8 months without seeing any resolutions.

It is also true that the support loves to close the ticket without resolving the problem. I suspect that the customer service is meassured against how quickly they can close the ticket.

It also seems that ROM can't really balance the characters very well. After I have invested more than a thousand US dollars into this game, ROM made my character totally irrelevant. A lot of players in the game either quit or rebuild a more powerful class. After they have spent many months building up that class, ROM makes that class irrelevant again.

Honestly, I think ROM is too desperate for money. It doesn't focus on player's experience. As long as they think you will pay, they are happy. Personally, I stop paying for this game. I guess it is alright game if you keep to your discipline and play it for free. Just remember not to be tempted to pay.

Just my 2 cents advice.

• DaduHulkDaduHulk Member UncommonPosts: 28

It is funny to see that the comments run from one extreme to another, but mostly I see "they didn't do what I want so it sucks"... humm... I take it this way : If I get to play for free for two years and find it entertaining (I play 99% PvE), then I got my money's worth, no?? He he, sent nothing, had fun for a couple of years, not bad.

Well, spent something. After two years, 4 chars (8 classes, and no, you do NOT have to repeat quests to level up your secondary), I spent $20 and got permanent mounts. But again, $20 over thoussands of play hours... not bad at all.

Community : I came from GW, pay for the game, no monthly. And for the life of me I see no difference. I found helpfull people, some less helpfull. Guild aster that think they became GOD, scammers, etc. So to me there is no difference. You see the same gambit of cool players and idiots.

I think RoM is a good fun value for the money, as a PvE player. Lots of quests and areas to explore and the game items DO keep you outfitted enough to deal with the game content. I Do not like PvP so I don't plan to spend $$$ to beat some other idiot with more $$$ than me. That becomes not a game but who has more $$$ to waste. Whats the point of that?

I would be good to learn on your comments that the game was not designed to please YOU. It was designed to please a large audience, and thus, there are compromises. Yes, GW has prettier graphics, but unfortunately not all games can look the same or be the same.

Cons : yes, the install sucks. I decided to download the files and do it myself (not using the downloader). I have never had so many crashes on a game as in RoM, which is why I am on break now trying something else. Slowly the fix them as they go. Oh well.

If you like the two class, with the latest release now you can have three!! :-O

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

you have obviously never played DDO or LOTRO for any length of time.

• Oldgamer69Oldgamer69 Member Posts: 1

ROM is going downhill fast with too much poor quality content.  GMS are rude and inappropr iate.  Tickets go unanswered and comments on the official US Facebook page or the ROM forums that are uncomplimentary are routinely deleted.  Users have been banned from posting, and in some cases accounts have been banned from the game for 30 days if the content is not :nice:.  We've created a facebook page www.facebook.com/GameIsRuined for users to freely discuss the games problems without fear of having their posts deleted