Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was I really hacked/banned? (email included)

Biotic67Biotic67 Member Posts: 1

Hey guys... so I haven't had my WoW account active for roughly 18 months.  I let my funding run out so my account was frozen.  Oddly enough I was thinking the other day how I'd like to get back into it.  So today I get this email:  (I edited a few things for protection)

{mod edit}

So my question... is this legit?  And do I just call blizzard or should I go through the email process?  

Thanks everyone,

Biotic

*hugs*

Comments

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Without using the links provided, log into your account and check on its status.  Otherwise, call Blizzard.

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

Originally posted by Beezerbeez

Without using the links provided, log into your account and check on its status.  Otherwise, call Blizzard.

image Don't use the links provided in the email. If this is a scam, they'll just make stuff even more effed up. Good luck :)

scribble scribble scribble

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409

Short Answer is yes....

But check the battle.net without using any links... but that was the same email I got when my account was banned after it had been hacked. I called Blizzard and got it all sorted out, they are actually pretty good at customer service. If you can get a hold of them.

Averros

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

One good thing you can do is set up a separate email account that you ONLY use for your WoW account. I did this and have never received a phishing email on that address. It makes it pretty easy to separate the fakes that way.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I haven't played WoW in years and still get e-mails like this all the time.

You may have been hacked and this could be an official e-mail, but do as suggested and do NOT click any of the links but go to the actual battlenet website through your own typing it in and check.

Also, you can (contact them) and send an e-mail asking about the situation.

I did this (e-mail) and theye e-mailed me back rather quickly, letting me know that the e-mail in question was indeed a bogus e-mail and my account is not frozen or in any trouble.

(Edit) I am not 100% sure but I would edit those links so they are not clickable, as people may click them and find themselves being keylogged.  I am not sure what MMORPG.com 's stance on that is, but be careful.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• LtmazLtmaz Member Posts: 5

To sort out the spam, check the full header of the email.

From [email protected] Tue Sep 19 01:13:34 2006

X-Apparently-To: **************** via 98.139.210.204; Sun, 08 May 2011 08:12:04 -0700

Return-Path: <******not blizzard******>

X-YahooFilteredBulk: 98.139.53.198

Received-SPF: none (mta1093.mail.sp2.yahoo.com: domain of ********not blizzard******** does not designate permitted sender hosts)

If the Return-Path is from blizzard.com, AND the Received-SPF says it is a permitted sender, then the email is actually from blizzard.

If either or both of these are false, then the email is not from blizzard.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

I get these about once or twice a week and I dont even play wow.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by SteamRanger

One good thing you can do is set up a separate email account that you ONLY use for your WoW account. I did this and have never received a phishing email on that address. It makes it pretty easy to separate the fakes that way.

When they did the whole battle.net change to force your login to be an email account(retarded choice btw...), I created a new email account that I use for absolutely nothing else but battle.net.  Guess what, I get up to 8 spams per day with fake blizzard emails, rift emails, and prescription drug offers.  It's sad really.  Using an email for the login is an amazingly bad idea to begin with, but seeing it's poorly handled as well is pretty silly.

Gmail is pretty good at flagging a lot of them, but it's best to never click any link in any email.  As said above, if you get an email, log in directly not via any link.

They also like to create addresses with Blizzard in them to send you to a page that will resemble a legit Blizzard site.  As much as I dislike the current Blizzard, I still let them know about these addresses so they can get them taken down.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

I get these emails for wow & i havent played for years, i get them for rift & ive never

even played the game, they are just random phishing emails m8

the giveaway is that blizzard never send links, i would just check the battlenet site

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by Ltmaz

To sort out the spam, check the full header of the email.

From [email protected] Tue Sep 19 01:13:34 2006

X-Apparently-To: **************** via 98.139.210.204; Sun, 08 May 2011 08:12:04 -0700

Return-Path: <******not blizzard******>

X-YahooFilteredBulk: 98.139.53.198

Received-SPF: none (mta1093.mail.sp2.yahoo.com: domain of ********not blizzard******** does not designate permitted sender hosts)

If the Return-Path is from blizzard.com, AND the Received-SPF says it is a permitted sender, then the email is actually from blizzard.

If either or both of these are false, then the email is not from blizzard.

Easier method: check the links.

If you mouse over the link, at the bottom left of your screen in your browser, it will show you the ACTUAL link. Phishing emails will tell you to go to a masked link. That is, the link shown is NOT the actual link. If the two links do not match, then it is a fake. If they do match, and it is not an actual Blizzard website, then it is a scam.

Of course, you could always just know that something as obvious as [email protected] is a clear scam.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

However they are morons when it comes to the move to battle net accounts where you have to use your email address as login. This means anyone knowing your email address (which is not hard to get a hold of), can write to blizzard claiming it is their account. Happened to me too, and I was annoyed with Blizzard for just accepting anyone saying it was their account and give it to them (also during a time I didnt play) - Looking at payment history showed someone had used my account for 3 months. Fortunately they have pretty good customer service.

It is also very possible it is just a scam, I mean i get 1-2 each day, but chineese spelling often gives them away :)

• DracheSCDracheSC Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Biotic67

Hey guys... so I haven't had my WoW account active for roughly 18 months.  I let my funding run out so my account was frozen.  Oddly enough I was thinking the other day how I'd like to get back into it.  So today I get this email:  (I edited a few things for protection)

{mod edit}

So my question... is this legit?  And do I just call blizzard or should I go through the email process?  

Thanks everyone,

Biotic

*hugs*

Fake email, imo.

Formatting, grammar etc are all wrong.

True mages don't die. They strategically miscalculate.

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

It's fake. Blizzard will address you by the name on the account in emails as in Dear John Doe not by your email address. That's the first give away.

By all means do not use links.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Your question has been answered, but we have a thread specifically for discussion of account security issues here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/288999/Official-My-account-has-been-compromised-Thread.html so I'm locking this one.

Also, please do not repost phishing emails. At the very least, remove the links.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.