Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im interested in trying EVE Online

13»

Comments

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by CactusJack

multiple 5% increases in various skills are an advantage...which is equalized by having friends. You want an extra 5% to your 1400mm T2 arty? Bring a friend in a tempest or a typhoon. You want 5% more armor repping, bring a friend with a remote repper or armor repping drones. No one ship or pilot is bigger than the math in EvE. No one. I don't care how many sp you got..put Dr. Caymus in a titan or any ship with max skills, faction gear, maxed everything. Give me two or three knowledgable pilots with a few ships, and we will bring him down. It's that simple.

When I first started, I sorta looked at like many new peeps do...'wow, i'm never gonna get that many", but fortunately I got with vets that made me understand that with alot of sp comes more expensive clones. People that never leave hisec and rarely lose ships or only ever engage their guns on a NPC target, don't get that. No ship is invulnerable, nor is any pilot so great that it takes tons of others to bring him down.

You know how I learned that? One of my first times I got caught in a bubble..i was in a vexor, heavily plated with good drone skills. Three dipshit pilots could barely kill me, but i got one of them before I went down. I learned a lesson..bring a scout and pilot skill will always matter more than sp.

A good way to learn this get in a group of 20-30 or so t1 frigates, and go for a lo sec run. Great times...I love watching ratting battleships fall to 25 frigates....nobody can stand up to numbers. Slight edges only matter when you are engaged in 1 vs 1...which is so rare it isn't even worth mentioning.

I'd be fine with buying skillpoints if it has some limit at some point and I have over 80mil sp. The reason for it is exactly what CactusJack said. First time I got my carrier out i lost it because I was overconfident of its abilities. I paid for my overconfidence with my carrier. With the number of stories of people losing everything to something stupid that they did and then ragequiting, I'm not sure giving them the chance to lose even more expensive stuff would increase the number of new players any. How many of them would of had my experience and understanding to lose thier first carrier to a mistake within the first week of getting it and then come back for more.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Selling skillpoints seems like a way of scamming dumb people who think that the way to win EVE is to have big numbers on your character sheet.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Malcanis

Selling skillpoints seems like a way of scamming dumb people who think that the way to win EVE is to have big numbers on your character sheet.

Yeah, you are right.  Maybe they should just not allow new players to get any skill points at all since they are so meaningless.  Having a gimped ride with gimped fittings, a feeble capacitor, paper thin armour, and no combat bonuses is the true key to success in EVE.  LOL.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Yeah, you are right.  Maybe they should just not allow new players to get any skill points at all since they are so meaningless.  Having a gimped ride with gimped fittings, a feeble capacitor, paper thin armour, and no combat bonuses is the true key to success in EVE.  LOL.

Do you post the killmails when you slay those strawmen?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

post an EvEMon skillplan that supports your theory that it takes "X" amount of sp to be competitive in pvp. I am on record as saying I support buying sp to whomever wants to buy it. Stop posting nonsense. You are intentionally posting inflammatory posts that have no relevance. Post a link to this fabled amount of sp needed. I'm anxious to see it.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by CactusJack

post an EvEMon skillplan that supports your theory that it takes "X" amount of sp to be competitive in pvp. I am on record as saying I support buying sp to whomever wants to buy it. Stop posting nonsense. You are intentionally posting inflammatory posts that have no relevance. Post a link to this fabled amount of sp needed. I'm anxious to see it.

Look, I understand you disagree with me, but no need to be so personal and accuse me of intentionally being inflammatory.  These forums are for all perspectives, not just cheerleaders for the game in question.  I post here to give my perspective as a former EVE player on the importance of skill points and the fact that as a new player you will never even the playing field with the veterans (or at least not within the first year or even 18 months for that matter).  I post in threads where the OP asks what it would be like to join EVE now, given that it has been out for so many years now.  You are giving the perspective that it doesn't matter and I disagree, but you have the right to your opinion.

I do not have EVEmon since I don't play EVE anymore so I cannot post what you are asking for.  So I'll turn it back on you.  Please post the EVEmon training plan for a new player to optimally fly, for instance, the best heavy assault cruiser or best battleship with all relevant skills maxed to 5 and all relevant support skills maxed to 5.  This is what the long-time veterans will have:  all relevant skills maxed to 5 and a T2 setup (not to mention that veterans have other advantages as well, such as ISK funded alts)

This means all relevant drone skills, all relevant electronics skills, all relevant engineering skills, all relevant gunnery skills, all relevant command skills, etc. all to level 5.  If they are not at level 5 then you will be at least 5% inferior in some way to the veteran.  And if you have multiple that aren't at 5 you will be even further behind the veteran.  It adds up to an advantage that is surprisingly large very quickly and there are a ton of skills that have at least a small impact on your ability to survive and/or do damage.

And I'll add as I always do, that despite this I encourage the new player to give EVE a try and you most likely will enjoy the experience.  You don't need to "win" at EVE to have fun.  But also they shouldn't be ignorant of the playing field they are stepping on when joining a single instanced game with 7 year veterans and a game philosophy that includes time-based skill point increases with no skill point cap.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• d0nch1ch1od0nch1ch1o Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by Spyder911

I've been playing MMO's for a long time like WoW, Darkfall, Warhammer Online, Rift, and many more. I was interested in getting EVE Online but I was looking for some information on the game. I been reading things off their website for a while now but I still cant seem to understand most of the things they're talking about. It would be cool if anybody could try and convince me to play EVE. Just list some things you like about the game and compare it to some other MMO's if you can please. I have read the other similar threads but I would like some different answers, thanks!

Thanks in advance!

Do the free trial, why wouldn't you?

It isn't that hard to get into, despite its reputation, and can be a blast:  just don't expect to be able to compete against the long-term vets for at least 2 years, although many of them will claim otherwise (but they are oversimplifying in my opinion:  many 5% advantages add up to a 100% advantage real fast).  But you can avoid them for the most part if you are smart or you can catch them with a scissor fitting to your rock fitting and you can beat them.  I'd actually avoid a big corp at first, unless you enjoy listening to some british guy on vent giving you basic tackling orders during some BLOB fight or while camping a gate.

Probably your best bet early on is to gang up with a couple other noobs and try to find a poor sap in lowsec off guard somewhere.  Or you can run missions, which gets boring fast, or you can be an explorer, which is more like random missions and also gets boring fast.  If you are a builder type you will have a blast with industry/market stuff. with maybe some mining to supplement.  I actually think even a noob builder can have a blast even today, but the PVP is veteran centric these days unfortunately.

Don't be scared off by the initial confusion you will have at the fighting and fitting concepts.  It really isn't that difficult.  You are the ship (in actuality it operates more like a sub), and you have ships that can equip various fittings (similar to armor/weapons/gear in a standard fantasy MMO).  You can have some fun balancing the fittings you can use as you run out of power or CPU quick if you are a noob.  At first you will be confusted by your options but there really aren't that many when you break it down.  Lots of meta levels for very similar items, or variances in what resistances they provide for example.  You probably need to understand about 20 different fitting types and you've pretty much got it figured out.

As many Eve veterans will tell you (I am an ex-EVE veteran), this game isn't about short-term goals.  And nowadays short-term is anything less than 18 months to be honest.  Remember that the veterans have a 7+ year skill point advantage on you that you will never make any headway on.  A permanent advantage for vets.

I personally would have very very highly recommended playing it a few years ago, but nowadays I think the veteran/noob gap is completely insurmountable.  Unless you have a couple hundred bucks to buy a character with several milliion skill points:  they are readily available on the market and is sanctioned by the developer (not a cheat).

Note that their subscription numbers have been growing recently, but probably more than half of those are ISK funded alts of the veterans.  Almost every veteran has at least one alt account and many have multiple these days.  A couple of my friends still play and they are really enjoying this advantage they have.  Not only a permanent skill point gap in their main, but the ability to fund alt accounts with ISK to assist with other aspects of the game (e.g., stealth camping, or salvage ambulance chaser to their main, generating ISK, etc.)

This truly is a game for the veterans and almost all aspects of it are set up that way.

But, the trial is free so find out for yourself...

True that may be that you will never get more SP than a vet, but there are only so many skills for a particular fitting/ship and the 5% adding up everywhere, thats more like 2% adding up to the relevant fit your in since people usually train a skill to lvl 4 at least.

• BetaCylonBetaCylon Member Posts: 2

Eve Online offers many things to do for new players and veterans alike.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Spyder911

I've been playing MMO's for a long time like WoW, Darkfall, Warhammer Online, Rift, and many more. I was interested in getting EVE Online but I was looking for some information on the game. I been reading things off their website for a while now but I still cant seem to understand most of the things they're talking about. It would be cool if anybody could try and convince me to play EVE. Just list some things you like about the game and compare it to some other MMO's if you can please. I have read the other similar threads but I would like some different answers, thanks!

Thanks in advance!

when thinking of trying eve remember one thing, sado masochism is frowned upon, that is all.

• Charlie247Charlie247 Member Posts: 1

Read this thread and want to give Eve a try. Been playing WoW for 5 years now and am pretty much burned out with it, tried others like Rift but not really grabbed by it. Always wanted to try Eve and feel the time is right as I'm not playing much else. I used to play the hell out of Freelancer and still give it a run every now and again!

Can someone send me a code for the Buddy Program, that way I get 21 days to try it and you also get something as well :)

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* Code received, see you in game! :)