Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

King of MMO Devs

2»

Comments

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Well to use the correct acronyms, correct if wrong:

MMO = That's a bunch of games (many  the umbrella for below)

MMOG = eg LoL that don't fit the rpg but have lots of players interacting.

MMORPG = massively with the rpg (eg wow, war, Order&Chaos Online)

CORPG = cooperative with the rpg (eg GW, Vindictus, Pocket Legends)

multiplayer = only ever a few ppl in game 1UP, 2UP etc..

The problem lies in calling CORPG's a subgenre of MMO's. MMO stands for massive multiplayer online game. GW1 is massive only in towns/outposts but not in the rest of the world and not in pvp. In those cases you are only with a small team of 8 (or in a few cases 12).

In addition some people refuse to call games which are instanced in most area's MMO's, which is wrong of course but still.

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

A few of my favorite devs:

-Richard Garriott for seeing the potential and, of course, for Ultima

-Raph Koster for giving virtual worlds life (UO, SWG Pre-NGE)

-Matt Firor for pulling off DAOC and showing how PVP can be done RIGHT

-Sanya Thomas, not a dev, but the greatest community liason ever. I wish she'd have my babies.

There are many others whose work I admire, but these are the standouts in my mind. A dream team, if you will. If these folks were heading up a game together I would have to pinch myself because I know I'd be dreaming.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Diovidius

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

-snip-

CORPG = cooperative with the rpg (eg GW, Vindictus, Pocket Legends)

The problem lies in calling CORPG's a subgenre of MMO's. MMO stands for massive multiplayer online game. GW1 is massive only in towns/outposts but not in the rest of the world and not in pvp. In those cases you are only with a small team of 8 (or in a few cases 12).

In addition some people refuse to call games which are instanced in most area's MMO's, which is wrong of course but still.

That's perfectly true tbh. Guess it's the perils of taxonomy... it's definitely at the lower end of the mmo spectrum : ) Being pedantic just for the sake of exploring this evergreen topic you could argue plenty of mmorpgs are not very effective at massively eg quests or on the other hand corpgs allow as much chat and social interaction almost as mmorpgs and variety of players/playerbase that interacts? Perhaps a scale 1-10 corpg is a 3/4 instead of a discrete 1,0 to join the mmo club?! image

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Who gonne reply with a honest and objective opinion about who are best devs, i know answer already do you OP:p

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Who gonne reply with a honest and objective opinion about who are best devs, i know answer already do you OP:p

I already gave my opinion.   I call Funcom the Kings.

When I originally put this out there I meant Dev Teams, but Im actually very interested to read about all the individual devs people are pointing out....learning quite a bit myself from this thread :)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by thebigchin11

It is Blizzard, there is no debate...

Actually there is.

If you're talking about Blizzard at the time of the 90s until WoW's release, then yes, I'd agree.

But if you're talking about a company's current state:  Blizzard?  No way.  The people that made it the way it is are no longer there.  The company has the luxury on resting on the laurels of success of some very talented people, that in the past made it happen.  With their current crop of people, I dunno.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

1. Blizzard

2. CCP

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

Valve Corporation

Generation P

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

SOE...LOL!

Hmmm, idk really, not particularly impressed with anything on the market atm.

I don't think any of the original creators are still with SWG or UO. So... no one is king, it's anarchy!

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

Blizzard takes credit just for great marketing for WoW. Not a making realy good game (expect vanilla WoW - rest is.. peace of crap imo).

I can see why you like Funcom, I havent played AO yet but AoC has most fun combat system out there, amazing dungeons, etc. Shame Age of Conan doesnt have bigger player base, its one of the best MMOs. I think also Turbine for Lotro could get some points because I dont think there is better PvE game (not sure how it is after going "F2P" but before that there was a lot of teamplay in PvE). And NCsoft (I'm not sure about developing they mostly only "support" developers with money but they tried some different games like Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, shame those games doesnt exist anymore).

But for me it always be Anet or CCP. Anet is probably second with Funcom for me and CCP definitely 1st. They are doing it right way imo, making one game and improve it as time goes. They seems to care a lot about theirs fans, they try to improve the game to amazing piece of art. Some people say its not even an MMO, its a simulation of life in space.

Definitely CCP.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

CCP for the simple fact they've done the best job creating a MMORPG according to their personal vision and more or less sticking with it regardless if other design choices would have resulted in the game being more popular at the expense of the player base that made them great.

Too many Dev's forget this (even Anet modified GW's strong PVP focus from the initial releases and focused far more on PVE in later expansions, while PVP sort of stagnated according to some)

Blizzard, good group, but c'mon, this is the original sellouts for cash, as any player who enjoyed vanilla WOW vs what its become today.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Quizzical

Guild Wars is NOT a MMO

its a Diablo cloney. Not MMO.

It is funny how people get worked up about this.

Arenanet makes everyone else look bad.

Arenanet also brings in less revenue each month than City of Heroes, making it NCsoft's least profitable product in their library.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

ccp - only company that listens, hires support that is support and not copy paste go read faq replies even if game server is at fault. Fixing stuff ultra quick.

arena.net - for doing things diffrently.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Becouse a game have 10million subs dont mean the devs who made it are the kings lol.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Omali

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Quizzical

Guild Wars is NOT a MMO

its a Diablo cloney. Not MMO.

It is funny how people get worked up about this.

Arenanet makes everyone else look bad.

Arenanet also brings in less revenue each month than City of Heroes, making it NCsoft's least profitable product in their library.

True but that's because they make the most profit by selling boxes and not from a subscription so the revenue is not clearly visible in later years. Besides, Guild Wars is still one of the best selling PC games ever.