Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall for the hard of reading.

NecrotikzNecrotikz Member Posts: 25

As with any game with a lot of hype around it, there come a swath of naysayers lurking out of their caves to cut down other peoples hopes and sew their seed of confusion.

Here are a few simple facts for those not willing to read up on the information available.

• Firefall will be a F2P game with a Microtransaction business model for cosmetic items ONLY.

• Firefall is first and foremost an ACTION SHOOTER, with MMO elements infused to promote a sense of community.

• Firefall is an Open World with several zones where players can roam around in, with the main focus of it being the fight against the enemy NPC faction known as 'The Chosen' - this includes attacks on cities/social hubs by the Chosen where players will need to band together to protect these hubs or risk losing it where upon players will then again need to band together to retake them.

• Firefall's PvP will most likely be prodominantly instanced for the sake of fairness as well as feature a ranking system for individual players as well as Armies (Firefall's Clan/Guild system) with the posibility of regular tournaments.

• Firefall's development team includes a number of ex-blizzard and ex-tribes people, so they have the skills to make a great game.

Now thats just the tip of the iceberg, and while there are many unknowns still to be revealed about Firefall I for one believe the hype behind this game is justified. And for those screaming bloody murder about their proposed business model, there are a lot of games who have done it wrong but if the game is good, the gameplay is fun then people will want to support it and keep it alive and I would feel a lot better knowing my money 'counts' when it comes to creating new content for a game I love, the fact that it will give me some cosmetic items is an added bonus.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

Comments

• Shredder420Shredder420 Member Posts: 4

"Firefall's development team includes a number of ex-blizzard and ex-tribes people, so they have the skills to make a great game."

According to their website, there seems to be only 2 people at the company who worked at Blizzard...Mark Kern-CEO and some guy who worked for Blizzard QA. There is also only 1 Tribes guy, the lead designer! Which makes sense since it looks very Tribes-y.

What's weird is I remember reading about a lot of other ex-Blizzard employees working there but they don't seem to be on the "Tribe" section any more. Wasn't the Art Director of WoW one of the founders? Where did he go?

• KrizzModeathKrizzModeath Member Posts: 14

I haven't read much about the PvP stuff, but in that demo they shot that was pretty awesome where they had a random attack on the city at which they were turning their quest in at.  So if you think about it it seems like some open world PvP would be pretty smooth if you have one faction trying to gain control of a city or w/e by force if they make it necessary for whatever reason.  So I hope that the PvP isn't only instanced because it would take away some of the excitement of the MMO aspects.  Looks like a great game top 3 of the year on my list along with GWars 2 for number 1 and I'll try Star Wars with everyone else I guess.

• NecrotikzNecrotikz Member Posts: 25

I am sure there is the potential for great Open World PvP in a setting like Firefall, except Firefall has no factions per say, as the focus of the 'campaign' is against the Chosen & creatures from the Melding with the Survivors (You, the player) defending against their incursion into the protected zones.

One possible scenario for Open World PvP in Firefall would be the fight for resources, while players can do their usual Thumper resource collection there can be certain areas where rich deposits spawn and players could fight for the right to extract it.

I dont actually mind if PvP is only restricted to 5v5, 10v10, etc. instanced battles as it would keep the chance of victory fair and skill based, where as in Open World PvP you would probably get Armies Zerging eachother in a war of attrition, which can be fun if done right but usually favours the one with a larger force.

As for people's concerns with the F2P business model inviting any and all to play... Is it really that bad for a game to have it be accesible to those want to play it without forcing them to pay monthly for the right to do so?

If you compare Firefall to FPS games, theyre F2P also, minus the intial cost of the box if youre talking about mainstream games with a Multiplayer mode, but if youre talking about pure F2P FPS's go look at Wolfenstein's Enemy Territory and how succesful that game was.

In my honest opinion the success of any game is in its gameplay and its ACCESSABILITY to the masses.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

its a wild wild west frontier theme. there's only the good, the bad, and the ugly.

who needs factions when you can make your own army.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Originally posted by Necrotikz

As for people's concerns with the F2P business model inviting any and all to play... Is it really that bad for a game to have it be accesible to those want to play it without forcing them to pay monthly for the right to do so?

If you compare Firefall to FPS games, theyre F2P also, minus the intial cost of the box if youre talking about mainstream games with a Multiplayer mode, but if youre talking about pure F2P FPS's go look at Wolfenstein's Enemy Territory and how succesful that game was.

In my honest opinion the success of any game is in its gameplay and its ACCESSABILITY to the masses.

And look how many dumbass 12 year olds play Call of Duty. I simply don't play FPS games anymore, due to the infestation of complete morons. The last thing I want to do is play a game with young children screaming and cussing in the microphone all night.

This is a concern of mine, because it will pull in these poor, underage gamers into the game more so than a subscription based game, or game you actually had to pay for to begin with. They say they want to create a gaming community, but the gaming community will be made up of people I would probably want nothing to do with anyways.

When 70% of the world is retarded, opening your game up to the masses is a huge turn off for me. Nothing about the gameplay looks bad, it is the business model, and the kind of people that are going to be playing it that could make it a bad experience. Who knows, maybe it will have an awesome community? I just doubt it. It is like saying Runescape has an awesome community.

They key for me is in finding a good army/clan and sticking with them. That would be fun, as long as you don't have to listen to any kids while I am playing. Tribes was an amazing game, and I played it competitively. If this can go down that route, it will be pretty awesome. I know I can't wait to try it.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by MattVid

Originally posted by Necrotikz

And look how many dumbass 12 year olds play Call of Duty. I simply don't play FPS games anymore, due to the infestation of complete morons. The last thing I want to do is play a game with young children screaming and cussing in the microphone all night.

This is a concern of mine, because it will pull in these poor, underage gamers into the game more so than a subscription based game, or game you actually had to pay for to begin with. They say they want to create a gaming community, but the gaming community will be made up of people I would probably want nothing to do with anyways.

When 70% of the world is retarded, opening your game up to the masses is a huge turn off for me. Nothing about the gameplay looks bad, it is the business model, and the kind of people that are going to be playing it that could make it a bad experience. Who knows, maybe it will have an awesome community? I just doubt it. It is like saying Runescape has an awesome community.

They key for me is in finding a good army/clan and sticking with them. That would be fun, as long as you don't have to listen to any kids while I am playing. Tribes was an amazing game, and I played it competitively. If this can go down that route, it will be pretty awesome. I know I can't wait to try it.

I would give this comment a thumbs up if i could.

I typically avoid f2p like the plague, however, since rift burned me out on anything fantasy mmorpg, ive dipped into the murky world of MMOFPS.

World of tanks, while a good game at its heart, and a huge following from history buffs (as the tanks in that game are spot on realistic at least in looks) its a game that requires a good amount of cooperation, teamwork, and fufilling your role.  However, being f2p, its jam packed with (cant think of a non insulting word) children.  Try to help one of these players with little or no concept of teamwork or his role in the match, and watch the fireworks fly, usually in capslocks.  Bottom line, i cant play that game, for all that i like it, since 90% of the matches i cringe as a scout tries to engage a heavy tank (rather than just scouting) hoping to get, what this games community is fixated on representing how good you are, the last shot kill, because it keeps track during the game.  Its a mad rush for the last shot, no cares about the objective or what role your tank is.,  The community that FPS/MMO hybrids draws when its free is basically kids who are use to the most kills = the best player, and it ruins a game that requires teamwork.

Global Agenda, another free MMOFPS, with less focus on team really than WoT and less adults due to the lack of a historical setting.  PVE instances are nearly unplayable pas the easy setting, as the players will queue up for these with their mindset that the build that gets them the most kills in pvp is best.  So the tank cant tank, hes sniping rockets, the medic cant heal, hes poisioning, the recon is 3 rooms ahead getting killed trying to stun and snipe on his own, and when your deam gets 4 deaths you lose a bonus, which means at least one person quits the match.  Even with a team of players properly built for pve, 90% of them fail to execute due to lack of teamwork, arguments, and rage quitting.  PvP is no better, while the good agencies work like clockwork, the mixed bag mercs can be seen outside of the objective, with 3 mercs chasing down one half dead player ignoring the fact they you win by capping the point.

This is just a snippet of the horror stories of a F2P MMOFPS that requires teamwork. And good luck getting into a guild or clan of good players, they usualy dont recruit as to keep their ranks pure of this type of player, very difficult to get into one even if your not one of these "types"

So my suggestion is that the game be dumbed down to where a bunch of solo players together can fight a bunch of solo players together, because that is what your going to get in this game anyway.

I should also point out that chat in both of the above mentioned games is juvenile beyond your wildest dreams, not that it bothers me, except for global agenda, with its built in automatic VOIP system, you can enjoy hearing "FAP" sound effects, screaming (no joke screaming for no reason) and other fun things, sure you can turn it off but its kind of important and you cant block a single jackass from talking to you.  The arguments on this make you cringe.

So this is what you should expect in Firefall, as....guess what...i heard about this game in both the games i just talked about, that community is comming, but wont pay a dime for it.

Be warned.

edit: i was actually looking forward to the game, but the reason i left WoT, and the reason ill probably leave GA is that the community is incapable as a whole functioning as a team in any way.  Most of the bad players are in fact free players, who even bitch daily about global agenda permanat elite status costing $10 with the cupon code, thats $10 for elite forever.  Please create a paywall of some sort to keep these people out.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I think a large majority of people who are excited about this game are measuring it as the same sort of Mmofps Planetside was,  what most are missing is that this game is PvE ... with instanced pvp matchs. Therefor I won't be getting excited over this ... I don't play Fps's to kill mobs, I don't play Mmo's to be limited in the amount of people I play with. I applaud the blend of fps and mmo elements when it holds firm to the open world rules. The second I read instanced matchs ... I lost all interest in this title.

For those of you who like Fps's  vs npcs  ...  I hope its enjoyable for you.