Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help - Comp issues.

RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808

I'm honestly not sure what's wrong with my computer right now. I've tried a lot of different things and nothing has worked. I'm getting some serious frame rate/stuttering issues when playing games. Almost a week ago I was able to run Crysis 2 on ultra settings with no issue. Constant 50-60 fps and around 30-45 fps when running FRAPS. However after playing New Vegas for a few days, I noticed that when I went to use the V.A.T system it would take an unreal amount of time to go through, and it'd lag pretty hard. Ever since then I've been having issues with every single game I've played. Lag, frame rate issues, I can't play Crysis 2 or the Witcher 2 anymore for that matter. A game I just bought.

If anybody can offer help, please give me some advice. I've done a memory test to check my ram, I've installed the newest drivers for my video card, and I've made sure that my DirectX is up to date. I've even tried to change out my video cards, but it's still giving me the same issue.

My system:

Processor: Intel i7 960 3.20GHz

Ram: 6gig Corsair

Video Cards: GTX 275x2 (SLI)

DirectX 11

I like to complain about games.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Run Task Manager and find out what is taking up cpu cycles and/or network bandwidth, especially upload bandwidth.  Look for application updaters, punkbuster and other unncessary processes that are running. Use MS's Process Explorer to find out what is running behind svshost.exe instances. Look for Akamai or other hidden uploaders in them.  Run a disk defragmenter and a  sweep for viruses, malware and key loggers.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by grunty

Run Task Manager and find out what is taking up cpu cycles and/or network bandwidth, especially upload bandwidth.  Look for application updaters, punkbuster and other unncessary processes that are running. Use MS's Process Explorer to find out what is running behind svshost.exe instances. Look for Akamai or other hidden uploaders in them.  Run a disk defragmenter and a  sweep for viruses, malware and key loggers.

I concur with Grunty's advice. Sounds like you've picked up something new that is taking up CPU cycles in the background in 'stealth' mode. MS Process explorer is a great tool for finding stuff like this. You can get it by downloading the Sysinternals suite of tools. Do a google search for 'Sysinternals' and the link to the MS page where you can download the package should be in the top 5 hits. The name of the actual program is 'procexp.exe'. It's like Task Manager but a whole lot more in depth. Also I could recommend The free version of MalwareBytes (Again, Google is your friend) to get rid of any Virus/Malware/Adware you may have picked up.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }