Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mesmer Confirmed

sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Indirectly. Not a surprise to anyone, but here it is from Wartower interview:

Jon Peters: There is one left, so hold on...

DeBussy: Yes, there will be. So listen to me carefully, CAREFULLY!... With only one profession left to be revealed you only have one remaining possibility *clears throat* to 'change my 'MIND'' again.

Eric Flannum: *laughs* Well, we’ll see. We may be able to "change your MIND".

Comments

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by sonoggi

Indirectly. Not a surprise to anyone, but here it is from Wartower interview:

Jon Peters: There is one left, so hold on...

DeBussy: Yes, there will be. So listen to me carefully, CAREFULLY!... With only one profession left to be revealed you only have one remaining possibility *clears throat* to 'change my 'MIND'' again.

Eric Flannum: *laughs* Well, we’ll see. We may be able to "change your MIND".

OH MY GOD! Jedi mind trick, SWEET, JEDI last class I knew it

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

some sort of mentalist anyway =P

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

It'd be highly entertaining if they actually renamed it to Mentalist or Hypnotist.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

If it is not mesmer, I will probably lose it a little bit. I may come partially unhinged.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

This is obviously another Mesmer hint. However Arenanet could be just a bunch of sick masochists and reveal the Monk profession next. :P

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

Originally posted by Master10K

This is obviously another Mesmer hint. However Arenanet could be just a bunch of sick masochists and reveal the Monk profession next. :P

Then I would have to call my assassin squad :/

On topic: I don't think Anet will risk revealing a non-mesmer type proffesion when they know how many people there are that is waiting for that class :P If they do. There would be 9 classes^^

scribble scribble scribble

• plubplub Member Posts: 2

I don´t know, im realy curious about this case. You know, why would they give us so many informations about Mesmer and tried so hard to not let Engineer be so clear.. So... If Mesmer its so obvious, why they didnt reveal it today and let us all thinking hard about the last class (eng).??

Why would they reveal the non-so-obvious Eng and creating anymore doubts about the last class?? I think its gonna be some kind of Mind Controler, but a diferent class, with diferent name...

Edit: I have joined MMORPG.com in 2006, and this is my first post in the forums, just a game like Guild Wars to make me do this.. normaly I just read the posts and log off =P

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by plub

I don´t know, im realy curious about this case. You know, why would they give us so many informations about Mesmer and tried so hard to not let Engineer be so clear.. So... If Mesmer its so obvious, why they didnt reveal it today and let us all thinking hard about the last class (eng).??

Why would they reveal the non-so-obvious Eng and creating anymore doubts about the last class?? I think its gonna be some kind of Mind Controler, but a diferent class, with diferent name...

Edit: I have joined MMORPG.com in 2006, and this is my first post in the forums, just a game like Guild Wars to make me do this.. normaly I just read the posts and log off =P

Several reasons why to wait the Mesmer for last and released engineer now.

Build up more hype

More fine tuning of Mesmer

Mesmer was pretty much assumed and practically known it will be in GW2

Let the dust settle of the Engineer profession for the gaming convention this summer.  There are a lot of mixed feelings about it.

If they are showing off the last and final profession at the gaming convention this year they can show if off the best there in a live demo and not some ability clips off their website.  Mesmer being so highly anticipated and drooled over prolly deserves an unveiling like that.

Mesmer is a truely a unique and cornerstone class/profession belonging to GW, them not including it in GW2 is like WoW not making the Orc race a playable race.

• DarVashielDarVashiel Member UncommonPosts: 80

Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day.

Follow the Guide and you will never go wrong...

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

yknow, i would pledge allegiance to anet if they did not have a mesmer prof. it would amuse me to see the nerd rage from that.

• NaturTalentNaturTalent Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by Foomerang

yknow, i would pledge allegiance to anet if they did not have a mesmer prof. it would amuse me to see the nerd rage from that.

If Anet did such a visios act, there would probably be a new terror network in the world. Nerds agianst hyping?

My son. The day you were born the very staff of Blizzard whispered the name, profit.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Originally posted by darlok6666

Several reasons why to wait the Mesmer for last and released engineer now.

Build up more hype

More fine tuning of Mesmer

Mesmer was pretty much assumed and practically known it will be in GW2

Let the dust settle of the Engineer profession for the gaming convention this summer.  There are a lot of mixed feelings about it.

If they are showing off the last and final profession at the gaming convention this year they can show if off the best there in a live demo and not some ability clips off their website.  Mesmer being so highly anticipated and drooled over prolly deserves an unveiling like that.

Mesmer is a truely a unique and cornerstone class/profession belonging to GW, them not including it in GW2 is like WoW not making the Orc race a playable race.

Yeah I feel the same way...mesmer is so iconic for GW that revealing it at a convention and as a last proffesion(Im guessing shortly before beta announcement or release announcement) would create so much hype the hype bar gonna explode

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

This was a very smart way of managing information by ANet. Instead of giving the players the class many "wanted" to hear, they introduced a brand new class (engineer) that generates a lot of buzz yet may somewhat polorize the playerbase as not everyone will love the concept. Meanwhile, they all but confirm the Mesmer, keeping players hopeful on hearing the good news in the future and will release that information leading up into beta to generate new and powerful buzz for the game.

Make no mistake, ArenaNet is playing the heart strings of the playerbase like a master musician. I'm impressed by their communication strategy, but moreso by the game itself from what I've seen to date!

• Grigor_BronGrigor_Bron Member Posts: 129

How exactly is this confirmation?

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

Originally posted by Grigor_Bron

Well, it's not really a confirmation. It's an indication. However, there has been quite a few of these subtle hints (no, I'm not going to dig up the sources), so I guess people have just assumed that there'll be a class called something mesmer-ish. And Queen Jennah of the humans is a mesmer. Source: The second novel, "Edge of Destiny"

scribble scribble scribble

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

all 7 of the images of this style are confirmed professions(no such image was shown for the engineer AFAIK). the class was also seen briefly in the races of tyria trailer(before the naysayers chime in remeber that female charr in the same video turned out to be a thief after all).

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

You thought swg fans nerd raged at the NGE, this would make that look like a hissy fit.image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

Originally posted by NaturTalent

If Anet did such a visios act, there would probably be a new terror network in the world. Nerds agianst hyping?

What hyping? They haven't "hyped" the class. "Hype" reqiures, in the very least, a confirmation of the profession's existence in the game. And there is nothing vicious about introducing a class other than the Mesmer. The Mesmer is no more of an "iconic" or unique profession than any others in the original Guild Wars. Sure, there's a huge fan base out there who view it as the bestest and most signature profession out there, but that is not itself a sufficient reason for its inclusion. 

Originally posted by Tyrxz

Well, it's not really a confirmation. It's an indication. However, there has been quite a few of these subtle hints (no, I'm not going to dig up the sources), so I guess people have just assumed that there'll be a class called something mesmer-ish. And Queen Jennah of the humans is a mesmer. Source: The second novel, "Edge of Destiny"

I'd say the indication is entirely on the part of the interviewer. The response from Jon does not amount to an affirmation of the interviewer's implication. As a matter of fact, reading it carefully, you could construe his response as a denial of the inclusion of the Mesmer ("change your MIND").

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

If it is not mesmer, I will probably lose it a little bit. I may come partially unhinged.

Never do things halfway! Full blown, riot-in-the-streets insanity is really your moral obligation.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

IF there's no mesmer I am not playing the game just to make a point. You don't fuck with your one and ONLY unique class that is iconic to the Guild Wars series. Can't imagine GvG without mesmers really would be soooo boring.

Originally posted by NaturTalent

The Mesmer is no more of an "iconic" or unique profession than any others in the original Guild Wars. 

Are you kidding me? Which one was unique to Guild Wars then? Elementalist? Nope. Necro? Nope. Ranger? Nope. Monk? Naaah. Warrior? Rofl.

Mesmer is the most unique class in Guild Wars 1. Not sure about Dervish and Paragon though :) They are also quite unique but we are not getting any of the Cantha and Elona professions for obvious lore reasons.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

i didn't play a lot GW1 .. and i really don't know what so awesome about mesmer. someone can explain to me what so important with mesmer?

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by Master10K

I'd gladly give up the mesmer for a Monk!!!!

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

It was said and confirmed that one of the last two classes would be named the same as a previous class in Guild Wars. So, all signs point to mesmer, especially after the end of that interview. Not to mention all the mesmer name dropping in the books.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by fony

all 7 of the images of this style are confirmed professions(no such image was shown for the engineer AFAIK). the class was also seen briefly in the races of tyria trailer(before the naysayers chime in remeber that female charr in the same video turned out to be a thief after all).

How do yo uknow that his is not a ritualist that might look like a Mesmer ? The paper fan that she is holding did not come into play until the Factions campaign was released, not to mention she does like kinda Canthan-ish don't ya think ? :)