Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead Servers (?)

Comments

• SchockeySchockey Member UncommonPosts: 58

Brandywine is fine. You are not in the right channel. /joinchannel glff that is where the people are talking.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

Since the OP was only level 8 it makes me think he might still be in the instanced tutorial part of the game where you cannot interact with the general populations of the server.   Get up to lvl 10 + and out of the tutorial instance and you should come across plenty of players.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I am sure it is probably a lot quieter now that the majority of older players moved on to get away from the F2P catastrophy.

What? The way people were raving just a few months ago, I got the impression that the F2P switch was nothing short of a roaring success. Perhaps altering the payment plan is only a temporary fix that breathes in a little new life but ultimately won't save the day.

I guess the sponge is fully squeezed ;)

Two pages of posts indicating the servers are doing well. One post of speculation both at server pop and why they mighr be that way. That one post is the one that you choose to take as truth.  Both psots, yours and Whar's, are fascinating in their special ways. :)

what's really facinating is the large guilds that moved to AoC and other games as a result of the F2P switch. Some of them I was once a member in and have kept in touch with.

"doing well" is OK, I guess, but I remember when they were "doing great" image

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

I am sure it is probably a lot quieter now that the majority of older players moved on to get away from the F2P catastrophy.

What? The way people were raving just a few months ago, I got the impression that the F2P switch was nothing short of a roaring success. Perhaps altering the payment plan is only a temporary fix that breathes in a little new life but ultimately won't save the day.

Two pages of posts indicating the servers are doing well. One post of speculation both at server pop and why they mighr be that way. That one post is the one that you choose to take as truth.  Both psots, yours and Whar's, are fascinating in their special ways. :)

what's really facinating is the large guilds that moved to AoC and other games as a result of the F2P switch. Some of them I was once a member in and have kept in touch with.

On the contrary, LotRO was never doing better or had more active Servers ever before. Coming June 1st it will clock at 28 servers and support 3 languages with Turbine going from being just another small US publisher(2006) to operating a internationally successfully global service. The game, and indeed Turbine itself, is quite obviously growing steadily. 

Also as someone who played before and after F2P, really nothing much has changed, certainly nothing that would make whole clans/guilds leave the game. If your playing the content draught angel, yes that was annoying but as far as i can see every game goes through that. 

• ShukanoShukano Member UncommonPosts: 57

F2P catastrophe? I played since beta and I see no catastrophe. The game is the same. I love how all these clans yelled doom and moved on to other games (AoC? really? that was the home they decided to go to? AoC is in way worse shape than Lotro right now).

Lets face it. For every 1 clan member that left Lotro, they probably gained about 3 new members. I'm on Elendilmir and I constantly see it populated. Try /joinchannel glff   and you'll see how populated the game is....

Not to mention for every clan that left, 2 more sprang into existance. The game is doing better than they could have ever hoped and gets updates at a surprisingly fast rate. You want to see a crap F2P system then go check out Champions online....

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

You have to join the unofficial global channel to speak with most folks.  Can vary per server but if you try:

/joinchannel lff

or

/joinchannel glff

Pretty sure regardless the server the global chat will be on one of those.  That's where everyone basically chats these days.  Zone chat besides around hub points is and always has been basically dead.  Not the servers themselves.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

LOTRO is still kicking? /sigh

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Originally posted by axerin

Hi all, 

Are the servers dead? 

I made 4 toons on 4 different servers and leveled them to ~lvl8( Ele, Brandy, Silver and Fire) and they all seem DEAD. I said Hello in ooc, trade & regional channels, asked questions such as "hi,  how is everyone ?", "how is the population on this server ?", "am i the only one playing here ?", "can anyone read this message ?" , " how can i check the population of players here ?" and on all servers was the same answer = NO REPLY 8( no one replied, not even a single word across 3 channels on 4 servers 8(

Is LOTRO dead?  to me it seems like it is, what a shame because I was really keen to play it.

truely disapointed,

Axerin

dont let that stop you from playing , it's normal in a sense is that players dont really speak in that channel and dont hang out in the starter zones .

In Bree you might have some talk in Advice and LFF from time to time .but server wise folks talk in GLFF a player made channel .

Plus most high levels hang out in 21st hall in Moria because that where alot of the raids are and it's convinient .

The game is far from dead trust me 

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

EU servers are very much alive, cant say for NA but I suspect its same-ish. EU-laurelin had some 1500 players online primetime last time I did a /who =P

Also, arent you in an instanced noobie zone when you first start out? Maybe you skipped that part... anyways, game is hardly dead. I dont think its ever been more alive player wise.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

if servers where dead...could i go to bree, take out my lute, play 3 songs and get gold from 23 people because they like it? XD

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

Originally posted by Rocketeer

On the contrary, LotRO was never doing better or had more active Servers ever before. Coming June 1st it will clock at 28 servers and support 3 languages with Turbine going from being just another small US publisher(2006) to operating a internationally successfully global service. The game, and indeed Turbine itself, is quite obviously growing steadily. 

Also as someone who played before and after F2P, really nothing much has changed, certainly nothing that would make whole clans/guilds leave the game. If your playing the content draught angel, yes that was annoying but as far as i can see every game goes through that. 

yeah, I played LOTRO as one of my main games from release 'till the F2P was announced. My entire guild quit, and many guilds that I had friends in quit as well.

I find it amusing that people always try to claim that a sinking ship is doing fine. Even current SWG players are always trying to convince people that the game is bustling, and doing better than ever.

It's a load of image, and it's not fooling anyone.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

yeah, I played LOTRO as one of my main games from release 'till the F2P was announced. My entire guild quit, and many guilds that I had friends in quit as well.

I find it amusing that people always try to claim that a sinking ship is doing fine. Even current SWG players are always trying to convince people that the game is bustling, and doing better than ever.

By your own admission you don't play anymore, and have not played in over 6 months...therefore, you are no where near qualified to offer any sort of opinion on the server status :D!

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I have characters across 5 servers and I always see OOC, LFF, Advice, Regional, and all the others being used in all zones. Was it like this before F2P no not as much but has gotten allot of use sense then. Most areas such as Bree and the Shire are always busy with chat the other starting area for Elves and Dwarfs not so much. But for those saying that whole kinships quit at F2P half my main one left and over more then all have returned all my other kins I am in no one has really quit but took breaks till something new comes along in game to bring them back.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Originally posted by Eliandal

By your own admission you don't play anymore, and have not played in over 6 months...therefore, you are no where near qualified to offer any sort of opinion on the server status :D!

I'm sure the servers are just jam packed with people...in the free areas, playing the free content.

The rest of us left.

It's like someone opening up a methadone clinic, a needle exchange, and a homeless shelter on our doorstep. Yeah, we could continue to live there.....but who would want to? image

We paid good money for prime real estate, not to live in the slums.

Noooooooo thank you.

Edit: and on that note, I shall go away. I don't play the game anymore, and there's no point in bashing it. It was a great game once.

Have fun in what's left of it.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

I wanted to play but evidently they are giving up on Landroval as an RP server and not intending to support RP until the EU server merge next month. I may look at it then.

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Warzod

I wanted to play but evidently they are giving up on Landroval as an RP server and not intending to support RP until the EU server merge next month. I may look at it then.

IIRC, Landroval is only an 'unofficial' RP server.  There isn't any less support for RP than in any other MMO.  I see people RPing all the time.  It's (normally)  not my thing, but I appreciate having them around since it adds to the atmosphere.  Ask around in Bree, there's plenty of regular and one-off events.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

/shrug

You can believe what you want but what the other poster said is true.  People come and go all the time with these games.  You're simply kidding yourself if you think this game was doing better when it was in its p2p phase especially towards the latter stages of it.

So what if you and your guild quit?  A lot of others ended up coming back to this game because of the change.  Not to mention how many finally gave the game a look that never considered giving the game a chance beforehand.

Hell, you can actually play on servers besides Elendilmr, Brandywine, and Lanroval and find people to group and chat with on a regular basis now.  Which is a fucking miracle within itself considering how it used to be on the lesser populated servers.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Actually, in my 3+ years in the game, the only time I ever talked to anyone in game was in the "nub" areas.

Though then again, I started playing when the game was relatively new (1 year old) and there were actually people in the starting areas.

This game is pretty unusual in that almost no one ever talks or interacts without people outside of their guild (kinship). Most stuck up community ever.

I haven't been so active lately, I logged in yesterday. I never noticed what you said. You mean, no interaction? on what server did you play? I always found the community in lotro one of the most friendliest I ever came across. I've always seen a lot of interaction between players. Or the community must have changed alot the past few months.

Also, I can't say something about the NA servers but the EU servers seems to have a healthy population. If you don't get anny answer I would say, go to bree and shout over there. I bet you get reaction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

Not just the free areas are full, Moria is crowded aswell. 21st hall is usually layered because its so crowded in the evenings and you always see people running around there doing quests even in remote areas. And thats middle game, neither endgame nor early free game. To be quite honest, i see alot more people in moria than i ever saw in Outland well after northrend came out in WoW.

I would say the population is more fluid in LotRO than in other (P2P)games, in games like WoW 95% are maxlevel or have a main that is. In LotRO we have alot more population in the 1-64 level range that are actually new players instead of just twinks. Obviously because more people are ready to give it a try, and yes also because more people at maxlevel get fed up and leave.

But to say the population is shrinking compared to P2P is nuts. I played back then and some days it was impossible to get a group going for a quest/instance below max level, nowadays i can get a group any time of the day for every kind of content at every level i please.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

I was playing LotRO a little while before it went f2p and quite enjoyed it. It was just far too solo oriented at the time. I actually meant to look it back up when it went f2p in the hopes that it would become busier.

Is there much grouping in the journey to max level or does it all start when you reach the endgame? I wanted to do dungeons before but got so fed up waiting for groups all the time.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I do find the community friendly in LoTRO, I do however have trouble getting groups in the lower levels. Never have much luck putting one together and basically only see people shouting for high level groups. Wish it was easier to get a low level dungeon group. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears.

Originally posted by eayes

I do find the community friendly in LoTRO, I do however have trouble getting groups in the lower levels. Never have much luck putting one together and basically only see people shouting for high level groups. Wish it was easier to get a low level dungeon group. If anyone has any tips I'm all ears.

This is a bit of a problem truth be told. The only starter dungeon is level 20-25 Barrow downs instances, and since LFF chat is region bound you will never reach all people this concerns as they are approximitely scattered over like 5 different regions at that levelrange.

Obviously there IS a global LFF channel, though most new players around that level do not know, so you won't reach them their either. Catch 22.

The only reliable way is to take the time to message indivicual people and ask them if they are interested. You can easily narrow it down in the who panel to show you only Wardens/Guardians between 20-25 if searching for a tank or something like that.

But really, early grouping is quite horrible imho so your not missing much. Its a bad mix of lacking essential skills, wrong mindset, lacking class understanding and being in to much of a damn hurry that will make you experience many "fun" situations. 

Also combat is quick early on, normal combat that is. Elite in dungeons can pretty much oneshot many classes, they just lack the later multistat gear that makes sure they have their primary attributes plus vitality and common defense.

That being said, don't insist on the "proper" Tank/4xDPS/Healer built when looking for a group. Instead insist on proper gameplay, running an instance without a dedicated tank or healer is perfectly reasonable if people actually use their CC and debuffs aswell as making proper use of FMs.

only levels i find hard to gather good groups is 40-50...below that there are enough GB and GA instances and above that the moria instances begin (at snowbourn eu at least)

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by Eliandal

I'm sure the servers are just jam packed with people...in the free areas, playing the free content.

The rest of us left.

You left, your choice, but don't  speak for the rest of the community. You are the classic example of the player who quit and try to persuade himself that because you quit, everyone will.

Guess what, lots of old timers are still around, plenty of people in endgaming, But how would you know? For you own admission you haven't played in 6 months.

It is your right not to approve the F2P move. I know a few people myself who left, but many other came. In MMOs, people come and go, nothing unusual here.

still..once its gone codemasters -> turbine...lotro will get more crowded i think :D