Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP only?

BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

I heard this game has open PvP, but is it PvP only?  I'm not a PvP fan, so that will really affect my decision of this game.

Comments

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

It's a hybrid MMO, 3 continents.  2 Southern continents home to the 2 different factions.  The third continent is FFA and used as territory control for guilds.

If you want to avoid FFA pvp it is certainly possible.  There will most likely be factional pvp zones and battlegrounds for the southern continents for people who do not want to experience the FFA style pvp seen on the northern continent.

Although, the northern continent will be the place to get the best stuff in the game and will certainly be a desired destination at some point in your gaming.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Nope.  PVE too.  Apparently a good amount with storylines and quests and dungeons and some type of adventure system plus a huge crafting/housing aspect to the game as well.  This game is going to be a hybrid, themepark + sandbox.  FINALLY!  ;D

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

I guess I should have been more specific.  I was wondering if you could play the game freely, experiencing all the content without ever having to get involved in PvP.  I'm thinking, from your answers, you cannot.  Eventually you'll engage in PvP unless you "stay home".

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Boge

I guess I should have been more specific.  I was wondering if you could play the game freely, experiencing all the content without ever having to get involved in PvP.  I'm thinking, from your answers, you cannot.  Eventually you'll engage in PvP unless you "stay home".

Yes you will be able to avoid PVP. Contrary to beliefs ArcheAge is not Darkfall 2.2,it's a mmorpg that is PVE and well as PVP it's not a specifically PVP game at all.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Boge

Stay away from the opposing faction or the northern continent. In your home continent (the continent of your faction) there'll be ample of PvE-content like quests, and dungeons.

Oh... and should some player decide to go to an opposing factions continent, then there'll be NPC-guards around, so you shouldn't see too many of those either.

So if you don't actively agree to PvP by leaving your factions continent (the only continent where there's all the PvE-content you have access to) you can play the game without ever seeing any PvP.

• ReltiusReltius Member Posts: 9

New to the game.. just curious, what incentives are there for PvP on the north continent other than bragging rights?

Are there prebuilt castles you take over like in Lineage 2? Then if you have control you get to tax the surrounding land?

How often does your land become vulnerable to attack where you and your guild/allies are forced to defend?

Are there any other mechanics other than sieging during these periods of vulnerability that encourages open PvP?

Are there camps of mobs that drop more powerful items there that people will want to farm and defend or is your day to day activity at the "end game" just going to be more instanced PvE and PvP like WoW (boring)?

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Reltius
    New to the game.. just curious, what incentives are there for PvP on the north continent other than bragging rights?

Are there prebuilt castles you take over like in Lineage 2? Then if you have control you get to tax the surrounding land?
    How often does your land become vulnerable to attack where you and your guild/allies are forced to defend?
    Are there any other mechanics other than sieging during these periods of vulnerability that encourages open PvP?
    Are there camps of mobs that drop more powerful items there that people will want to farm and defend or is your day to day activity at the "end game" just going to be more instanced PvE and PvP like WoW (boring)?

It's not 100% clear how it'll work in the final version so far, but we allready got to know that there'll be siegetimers and taxes on the northern continent.
    The northern continent will also be suspect to FFA PvP and playerlooting, but again, we don't know any specifics yet.

In four days CBT3 starts and then we'll see most of those PvP-questions being answered in full extend... hopefully.

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

We also know that the northern continent will not have prebuilt structures.  It is unclear if there will be designated build points as there are on the southern continents, but any castles or settlements will be 100% player built.

Will you be able to enjoy the game as 100% PVE, absolutely.  The size of the game world is huge, it's bigger than WoW's entire landmass including all the expansions.  PVE content will be plentiful, and you will still be able to be involved with the endgame goings on by contributing to the market.

Much like in EVE, there are some people who stick to high security space and only do mining or mission running and trying their best to avoid all pvp, but in EVE people can suicide gank.  In AA it will be tougher if not impossible to do so.  They did state they will have different server types.  Thus allowing people who wish to not be involved in pvp to steer clear of it.  But even then there is a justice system in place (unclear of how it really works) that will throw people in Jail for wronging you.  Being thrown in jail enough will cause you to become a pirate and the 2 factions will be red to you.

Personal sidenote:  Don't be afraid of pvp.  This whole world is about interacting with other people both in a good way and a bad way.  AA offers a fantastic mix of all play types and to really take that risk of venturing into the unknown, not knowing if there are enemy players lurking can give you quite a good adrenaline rush and has the potential to reward you with some of your most memorable gaming experiences.  I always remember the times when I've been able to fend off ganks, or creating KoS lists of people that've tried to grief me and then coming back when I was more powerful only to lose to them again.  This expands into guild rivalries and really gives you a reason to log in and fight your nemesis.  AA is going to be a great game, I can tell.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• AstoranAstoran Member Posts: 27

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that AA is using a similar idea for pvp as GW2. In GW2 open pvp takes place in a separate zone from pve called the Mists, which is large with many different pvp objectives. The Mists is also populated by 3 different servers DAoC style to give the pvp more balance. AA has its own continent intended for open pvp aswell. I really hope this is the future of pvp in MMOs as it allows people to enjoy the game how they want to.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by Astoran

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that AA is using a similar idea for pvp as GW2. In GW2 open pvp takes place in a separate zone from pve called the Mists, which is large with many different pvp objectives. The Mists is also populated by 3 different servers DAoC style to give the pvp more balance. AA has its own continent intended for open pvp aswell. I really hope this is the future of pvp in MMOs as it allows people to enjoy the game how they want to.

Yes and no.  The Northern "PvP" Continent (NC) is separate from the other two "PvE" continents but it's not in another zone.  You can sail from one to the other with no cut-away.  The instanced PvP in AA will be seen in CBT3 and maybe that could share a grouping of servers, who knows.

There could be a way to "phase" into the NC from your own server to a combined space but I don't think XLGames would do that.  Not unless the populations for PvP are too low.  One thing to keep in mind is the surroundings on the NC are changed by the players just like the PvE islands.  Houses, castles, landscape are all defined by the players and having that area shared by too many people would be bad.

I agree otherwise.  PvP is a lot more fun when there are more to "talk" to.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• SethDroneSethDrone Member Posts: 5

Have they said anything about full loot or partial loot in pvp? 

• termsytermsy Member Posts: 100

There's a lot of misinformaton in this thread, so I'll clear some of it up.PvP wll not be unavoidable unless they make a PVE only server, which I don't see happening given the way the games designed.

The two starting continents will be home to the two starting factions, where there will be limited amount of places you can build. You are able to kill your own faction and become a pirate, which means you're an enemy to everyone and are limited to the places you are allowed to go. There's also the risk of getting caught and sent off to jail. You can also travel to the other starting continent and kill the enemy faction The third continent is home to no faction, and is able to be completley built up by the players allowing them to control territory and constuct cities and homes. Player created factions can also be created, similar to corps in EVE. The PVP rules on the third continent are yet to be detemined, but it will most likely be the same as the other continents. As in killing your own faction has it's consequences.

The battlegrounds aren't like the battlegrounds from previous MMO's. They are more of a simulated siege. They train you on how to lay a real siege to player cities on the third continent.

As far as playing looting goes, it hasn't been decided yet. Jake Song has mentioned having two different servers. One with full loot, one without player looting. In my opinion, it will be one server type with partial loot.

Originally posted by termsy

There's a lot of misinformaton in this thread, so I'll clear some of it up.PvP wll not be unavoidable unless they make a PVE only server, which I don't see happening given the way the games designed.

The two starting continents will be home to the two starting factions, where there will be limited amount of places you can build. You are able to kill your own faction and become a pirate, which means you're an enemy to everyone and are limited to the places you are allowed to go. There's also the risk of getting caught and sent off to jail. You can also travel to the other starting continent and kill the enemy faction The third continent is home to no faction, and is able to be completley built up by the players allowing them to control territory and constuct cities and homes. Player created factions can also be created, similar to corps in EVE. The PVP rules on the third continent are yet to be detemined, but it will most likely be the same as the other continents. As in killing your own faction has it's consequences.

The battlegrounds aren't like the battlegrounds from previous MMO's. They are more of a simulated siege. They train you on how to lay a real siege to player cities on the third continent.

As far as playing looting goes, it hasn't been decided yet. Jake Song has mentioned having two different servers. One with full loot, one without player looting. In my opinion, it will be one server type with partial loot.

Do you have any sources on looting? I know there was talk of having seperate servers but it was based on who you could kill, not loot rights.  It was the "PvP" server only that would allow you to PK your own side.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

Originally posted by elocke

Nope.  PVE too.  Apparently a good amount with storylines and quests and dungeons and some type of adventure system plus a huge crafting/housing aspect to the game as well.  This game is going to be a hybrid, themepark + sandbox.  FINALLY!  ;D

Seriously count me in on this game.  I just came across the press videos on you tube. Seriously will play this a ton with all of you. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Arent there 3 starting factions? Humans, Elves, and those cat people?
    Originally posted by Foomerang

There will be two preset factions but there will be eight races total. The three you mention are the only ones available during CBT3. Here is our best guess at the eight races:

http://aaportal.net/en/news/39-interesting-articles-archeage/173-prologue-archeage-world-view.html

Seems to be a Fae, Demon and undead type in there.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Deron_Barak
    Originally posted by FoomerangOriginally posted by termsy

There will be two preset factions but there will be eight races total. The three you mention are the only ones available during CBT3. Here is our best guess at the eight races:

http://aaportal.net/en/news/39-interesting-articles-archeage/173-prologue-archeage-world-view.html

oh sweet! i had no idea there were gonna be more races.
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Originally posted by Deron_Barak
    Originally posted by FoomerangOriginally posted by termsy

oh sweet! i had no idea there were gonna be more races.

Please note that the "factions" are more like nations. They are not fixed. They are not permanent. Racial allegiances are not permanent. And its entirely up with players on if let's say, some nation splits or some place of nation you are in allies themselves with opponents. It STARTS as two-way faction stuff. However it can eventually become three-way,ten-way,x-way faction stuff and those "nations" can make alliances, truces, conquer places, etc.

IMO, it has one of the deepest political systems available in the current gaming world.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• BallistaBallista Member UncommonPosts: 120

http://forums.goha.ru/showthread.php?t=598919

This thread has pvp/pk videos.

For those saying you can certainly avoid pvp/pk JUST because there is a third more dedicated pvp continent - you are misinforming everyone. A lot of PK'ing happens when the safer area gets left behind at 20-25 (just like Aion) and you are free game after that for PK or faction pvp (forced).

To clarify for everyone: you can be PK'ed on all continents.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Ughhh.... Faction PvP :(

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• BallistaBallista Member UncommonPosts: 120

No it's worse than that.. it's free for all. But Jake Song said his team is still deciding if they want to differentiate servers (some free for all; some east continent vs. west continent only).

But from the current beta client.. free for all past safe zone levels (which ends around 20-25).

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by mrcalhou

Ughhh.... Faction PvP :(

Don't worry it's free for all.

http://www.aaportal.net/en/component/kunena/43-questions-and-answers/1302-xl-games-answered-goharu.html

Here is a decent Q&A on factions, guilds and expeditionary forces.  Seems some details are up in the air, at least at the time of this Q&A, but gives an idea about what XLGames is thinking.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by Ballista

No it's worse than that.. it's free for all.

I actually prefer free for all over faction-based with the caveat that there are a few safesones that are safe for everyone. I'm a huge Eve fan and I think that Eve managed to make PvP right. Didn't matter what your race is. If you are in high security space, and not at war with someone, then you were effectively safe (sure you could be attacked, but with asset destruction the penalty, and assets actually costing something to acquire, it's an extremely rare occurance for most players). But if you were in Low security space you were pretty much a free target.

I'd want to hope that Archeage has a pvp system similiar to this, as opposed to one similar to Darkfall where it's PvP everywhere and the penalty for attacking someone is so tiny that there might as well be no penalty at all.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

This game looks so much better than GW2