Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

:Time for a Vanguard Renessaince?

2»

Comments

• trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33

I hadn't played in almost 2 years and popped back in last night. Vanguard really does have a "secret sauce" or something that just makes it special in some way. It may not be as slick as popular MMO's, but it's way more immersive IMO. It was actually sad though to see most chunks empty. Trial Isle was full though. I know i'd be back in a second, and this would be my MMO if they made it FTP as I think that is the only way the game could get a real population. Best classes out of any MMO also ... all of em.

FTP for the win SOE.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by trouser03

I hadn't played in almost 2 years and popped back in last night. Vanguard really does have a "secret sauce" or something that just makes it special in some way. It may not be as slick as popular MMO's, but it's way more immersive IMO. It was actually sad though to see most chunks empty. Trial Isle was full though. I know i'd be back in a second, and this would be my MMO if they made it FTP as I think that is the only way the game could get a real population. Best classes out of any MMO also ... all of em.

FTP for the win SOE.

I agree, at this point going FTP really can't hurt the game. I don't think Vanguard is pulling in much of a profit.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i really wish sony would give this game to some other company, it wouldnt take much to make it a really good game with a "rerelease".

i wont touch sony with a 10 meter pole though :[

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by ray12k

I don't know much about this game but isn't this A game with no pvp??? And no I dont think its worth looking up on my own haha

There used to be a pvp server but the population became too low.

as it stands there is pvp but probably not what you are looking for.

mostly duels and the like. I heard there was some sort of arena but have yet to find it.

Their is an Arena but you wont be going their until around level 45-50 because it's in a dangerous Arena or chunk called Tehatamani which is based on African Egyptian theme.

The PVP Arena is floating above the arena so you can port up their or fly to it but you will only be able to get their if you hitch a ride on someones ship.

Look at this map of Qalia and it's in the SW CORNER TO THE SOUTH OF STIRHAD.

It's not marked on this old map.

http://vanguard.gamepressure.com/qalia_map.asp

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by Rohn

The ultimate problem, however, is that SOE has illustrated very clearly over the last 4 years that they do not care at all for this title.  With EQ Next in development, I believe SOE will not support VG any more than they have in the past.  It's almost impossible to generate any long lasting excitement for a game that has very little hope of future support from the parent company.

That's true, but you know, the vibe on the VG forum is very much to the tume of "well, SOE isn't supporting it, but the game's in very good shape right now, really, and if they aren't supporting it they really can't screw anything up."

In a sense, all Vanguard really needs, given where it's at right now, is a higher population.  Other than quibbles, that's all that's really wrong with it. More support from SOE, while it would be nice, would be gravy.  And even then - and someone pointed out here in another thread - even with the population as it is, you can still get groups.  You just have to use the social tool and send tells out, and it'll happen.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Soe's launchpad will d'l automatically if you have a pre existing account. http://launcher.station.sony.com/

^This is the best, and fastest, method in my opinion

Originally posted by Emeraq

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Soe's launchpad will d'l automatically if you have a pre existing account. http://launcher.station.sony.com/

^This is the best, and fastest, method in my opinion

I made a halfheated attempt to dig out a standalone installer when I reinstalled today, but ended up going with the Station launcher instead.  It's the easiest way, and by the time I woke up for work it was all installed and updated.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Guess I'll do a little re-download tonight.  I have several character in the 10-20 level range.  I tried the game twice before, but each time I felt alone.  Being new to the world, such a huge world, and not seeing many people was what kept me from playing.  Who knows maybe we will get a little influx this time around.  I think I have a disciple, psionist, bard, and druid.  Hmm, what to play.  Guess I'll have to give them each a go.  Been too long.

• neobamboomneobamboom Member Posts: 50

Didn't the developers stop working on this game months ago? 

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

Downloading right now. Hope to see some of you ingame.

• devilnursouldevilnursoul Member Posts: 49

If you only had a trial, yes, the game is opened up with all content for you for 45 days. F-R-E-E MMO for 45 days.

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=8

Here's a link for the full download with out the Station Launcher.  Hope this helps, see you in game.

• GreenKnight1776GreenKnight1776 Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by neobamboom

Didn't the developers stop working on this game months ago? 

The last significant update was last year. The last significant message from a developer was in December of 2009. Since then, there has been zero communication from SOE on any plans for VG, other than a recent post from a community manager or producer after the hacking fiasco stating they "have no plans to sunset VG at this time." I think they consider whatever the current population to be at an acceptable level "as long as there is interest."

I'll probably download and see if my old characters are still there, just to adventure in Telon one last time. Otherwise, @OP: yes, future content development for VG is entirely dead, what you see now is all there is ever going to be. It's still quite a lot, but this game is a walking corpse. Maybe one people still enjoy, but it's entering it's twilight phase. :-)

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149

My problem with the game is the animations. I literally like every other part of this game but whenever I'm in combat the animations bug me steadily more and more with every minute. If they fixed them it would improve the game so much imo.

MUNDO!!

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

I'm updating the game as we speak and will be playing the next 45 days to check it out again. I hope it has improved.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

As sovrath has stated it's hard for me to gather interest in this title.  Somply because of the catch 22.

What if I play it and I love it, then it sunsets in a year or so because of population issues, which no doubt are directly related to the absence of developers entirely.

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149

Originally posted by gauge2k3

As sovrath has stated it's hard for me to gather interest in this title.  Somply because of the catch 22.

What if I play it and I love it, then it sunsets in a year or so because of population issues, which no doubt are directly related to the absence of developers entirely.

You accept that you had a great year of gaming, and move on imo.

MUNDO!!

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

You have lost connection to the Chat Server...

You have lost connection to the World Server...

Ahh yes -- seems it still happens all too often -- especially with a bard running at bard speed across chunks.

I was amazed I remembered /reloadui

As for the double exp for a couple more days -- they could keep it perpetually.  The game could use it.

I was unhappy to see I couldnt use ranger arrows anymore but happy to see the AH still has stuff on it -- I expected it to be more or less empty but it is not.

I will have to look up where I way'd to -- it was some elven place -- to get the civic buffs that were necessary for my bards survival.  I did have max diplomat even if I didnt hit nearly max level outside the beta(where I was a lot more advanced).

I have always liked diplomacy more than the rest of the game even though a lot of the cards these days are kind of silly.  I liked the old days where the cards were underpowered.

Originally posted by gauge2k3

Then you had fun for a year.  This is a great opportunity for VG loyalists to get more folks playing thegame, and not just for the 45 days.  It may be the last such opportunity.  I hesitate to call it a chance at a "turn around," since that seems more dramatic than anything that'll actually happen, but just a couple of motivated folks evangelizing Vanguard right now could extend the game's lifespan, maybe by years. Vanguard is a great game that deserves better than it's getting.