Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lead Designer Interview. Jake Song - 'I'm Ashamed.'

2»

Comments

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

I'm not sure what the first part of the interview was about either.  What does compromising have to do with "next generation" in regards to adding themepark elements to a sandbox game? It's a subjective phrase anyhow.

As far as what is included in the CBT3 I'm not surprised at all.  Testing being the optimal word there are a lot of system heavy features going into AA so why as the developer would you not want small segments to analyze?

Pending a NDA popping up we are going to see exactly where the game is at from a playable perspective.

Edit: Bold

Just not worth my time anymore.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Found this in comments in the said article on AAportal.net: (ROFL)

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by wizyy

Found this in comments in the said article on AAportal.net: (ROFL)

That guy in the OBT is just like "uuh drool MMO BLISS"

That will be us in about a years time ^-^

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

Originally posted by Drakxii

Originally posted by Greymoor

1.) CBT3 isn't a beta of the full game the new content introduced includes 'adventures'*, 'battle fields' and 'instanced dungeons' with previous animations, hit effects and questing improved.

5.) CBT3 will provide us with the small battlegrounds 10v10 in a dummy siege environment. Requires level 15

Bah battlefields...  I hate instance pvp does anyone know if they will pvp loot?  Like crappy themepark games have.

Why can't I find an MMO with pvp that isn't a gear grind or a FFA gank fest...

It appears you don't actually enjoy MMOs, might I direct you to the multiplayer console games.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by shawn01

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by eoweth

Sounds like such a great game, once you remove the PvP. :)

Same for me. Sounds like something I would be interested in sans the PvP.

PvP is the only reason to play mmos. FFA pvp is what sucks. Seperation of pvp and pve is what is needed, but no pvp, or instanced pvp is so boring and stale, bleh.

I know right, I mean how could any game survive for years without PVP...wait LOTR doesn't have PVP does it, seems to be doing well.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by onehunerdper

LOL, just making a joke, no need to get all intellified on me

I'm actually still confused about this post.  Is he ashamed of the game because it isn't going to be revolutionary or different or something.  Can someone explain what the OP was showing?

I think he's ashamed that he hasn't been able to add more innovative features so far into the game. Their culture is much less forgiving than ours, I get the feeling XLGames have other cool features coming up but by not having them in at this stage he's embarrassed to be calling it next gen?

Next Gen to westerners means shiny graphics. To them it probably means a new depth of gameplay.

Hmm, well I can't speak for everyone, but Next Gen for me doesn't just involve graphics (but it is part of it).  Next Gen is bringing in new technology and new mechanics and everything else.  Too many companies are just stripping away complexity and making things extremely easy and calling that Next Gen.  I think if you took TSW, AA, and GW2 you'd have a pretty rocking game, but alas I fear the success, or lack there of, of these games will decide the fate of the near future for MMo's.

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

PvP is the only reason to play mmos. FFA pvp is what sucks. Seperation of pvp and pve is what is needed, but no pvp, or instanced pvp is so boring and stale, bleh.

I know right, I mean how could any game survive for years without PVP...wait LOTR doesn't have PVP does it, seems to be doing well.

Every game isn't meant to appeal to everyone, it's high time we start seperating the MMOs from one another.  Themeparks have their place, Sandboxes have their place.  

When it comes to what kind of PVP is in a game, it's going to all depend on the lore and other gameplay in the MMO.  FFA only works in a system that supports it.  Factional pvp only works when the lore decrees it.

LotRO has it's own unique system of pvp with monster play.  ArcheAge has multiple types of pvp depending on where you are in the world, and it makes sense due to the lore and systems surrounding it.  If you don't like having a mix of factional warfare and FFA pvp (which will vary depending on server type), then don't bother expecting it to be different.

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by UknownAspect

Originally posted by Drakxii

1.) CBT3 isn't a beta of the full game the new content introduced includes 'adventures'*, 'battle fields' and 'instanced dungeons' with previous animations, hit effects and questing improved.

5.) CBT3 will provide us with the small battlegrounds 10v10 in a dummy siege environment. Requires level 15

Bah battlefields...  I hate instance pvp does anyone know if they will pvp loot?  Like crappy themepark games have.

Why can't I find an MMO with pvp that isn't a gear grind or a FFA gank fest...

It appears you don't actually enjoy MMOs, might I direct you to the multiplayer console games.

No I don't enjoy wow generation of themepark MMOs.   I loved SWG, I enjoyed EQ, WoW before battlegrounds and VG till I saw that SOE was clearly never going to improve the game.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

This picture is utterly retarded, WRONG AND MISLEADING!

I do not play any MMO on this list at the moment, and i am no fanboy of either as well, 

i did play LOTRO and WoW, and by looking at those landmaps i can say this picture is not representing facts.

According to the picture the Shire is around the same size as Mount Hyjal,  that tiny little

circle area on the top of Kalimdor, if you'd have been in Mount Hyjal before, you know this is utter bullshit.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Everquest doesn't have any either, it did well too.

Yet in ArcheAge PvP is welcome as long as it has the same system as EvE.

That will work

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Well all that info has put me right off this game!

Level limits on things, instanced PvP.

No thanks!

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Originally posted by ste2000

Everquest doesn't have any either, it did well too.

Yet in ArcheAge PvP is welcome as long as it has the same system as EvE.

That will work

How does EvE pvp work ?

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

What AA shows, in theory, is that having PvE focus, PvP focus, sandbox themes and theme park aspects is possible in one game.  I think that's why so many people are excited about it.  This is freedom.  You want to run instances all day? Fine.  You want to kill every person you come across? Fine.  You want to build a house and cultivate the land around you? Fine.  You want to be a pirate? Fine....who doesn't want to be a pirate?!

I think they can pull it off and for the sake of those excited I hope they do.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• charlionfirecharlionfire Member Posts: 166

Well, you'll have a whole continent that is up for grabs PvP-wise, so a couple of added instanced PvP features probably doesn't ruin the fun of siege-conequer-own-rule.

• OnionsoupOnionsoup Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

What AA shows, in theory, is that having PvE focus, PvP focus, sandbox themes and theme park aspects is possible in one game.  I think that's why so many people are excited about it.  This is freedom.  You want to run instances all day? Fine.  You want to kill every person you come across? Fine.  You want to build a house and cultivate the land around you? Fine.  You want to be a pirate? Fine....who doesn't want to be a pirate?!

I think they can pull it off and for the sake of those excited I hope they do.

totally agree! 

" You are not forced to play new contents with every CBT, for example on the 2nd CBT, there was a guild that focused on planting forests and selling wood. So instead of telling them to go to war, we want to help them play in their own way - to make their own gameplay, instead of telling them where to go and what to do. What's important is to have fun. Every user has his own playing style"

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90

Looking forward to the release tbh, but wish they'd release more English info to keep us up to date