Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2nd Look at STO

RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Just wanted to throw this out there  . Was in STO closed beta then launch , rolled two toon to the end and burned out befor the month was out.  Cool game,  just did it all.   Recently came back to check it out and was fairly impressed (enough to sub for a few months anyway)   ** They added alot but what stood out to me was the difficulty slider.   ** Epic setting can be a challenge and better loot drops and xp. ** And the foundry wich allows you to create your own missions and play others  .**Level cap raised and more endgame content . Lots of cool stuff in the cstore to mess with.  Not tryin to start a debate just sayin take another look might keep your mind bizzy till the next  big thing.  (for me Tera/SWOR)

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Comments

• CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152

glad you are enjoying it all over again

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Funny, for some reason I've recently been thinking of giving this a try because, you know, its Star Trek.

Its that or go back to EVE, starting to need a spaceship fix.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

STO is worth a second look I recently resubbd myself and they have added a lot of cool content and tweaked a great deal, although ground combat is still rubbish. The new episodes are awesome one of the ground missions was so immersive it almost makes you forget how bad the ground combat is.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

In the next  update the ground combat gets revamped like a true fps.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• Mr_CyberpunkMr_Cyberpunk Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Redcor

you're going to be disapointed because I can assure you this won't be the case at all. Its going to be an over the shoulder system and will still be confined to the existing mechanics, the only difference is that now you can actually use your mouse button the target and shoot instead of the Tab key, that's how I understood it anyway, its not going to turn the game into Mass Effect like some people seem to think oddly.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

This is the one thing that had me stop after the beta ended. And I dont mean the combat it self, just that most of the game (almost all of it) was ship combat in space, I was looking for more of the "Landing party on the planet" type stuff. So if they added ALOT more Ground combat and missions and stuff like that, it would get my interest up.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Mr_Cyberpunk

you're going to be disapointed because I can assure you this won't be the case at all. Its going to be an over the shoulder system and will still be confined to the existing mechanics, the only difference is that now you can actually use your mouse button the target and shoot instead of the Tab key, that's how I understood it anyway.

You understood correctly.  

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Originally posted by ShardWarrior

you're going to be disapointed because I can assure you this won't be the case at all. Its going to be an over the shoulder system and will still be confined to the existing mechanics, the only difference is that now you can actually use your mouse button the target and shoot instead of the Tab key, that's how I understood it anyway.

You understood correctly.  

Shard... why are you going to every ST thread to state your disagreements with STO and how you don't like the game, etc, etc, etc?

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

Originally posted by Zolgar

Shard... why are you going to every ST thread to state your disagreements with STO and how you don't like the game, etc, etc, etc?

I don't recall reading in the rules/regs for this site that we are only supposed to post wonderful, glowing recommendations for a game?

I am allowed to post my opinion. 

I don't recall reading in the rules/regs for this site that we are only supposed to post wonderful, glowing recommendations for a game?

I am allowed to post my opinion. 

I never said you couldn't or shouldn't. I asked why.

All your posts, are from today, and are all about how bad STO is. So, it makes me assume you feel Cryptic has "screwed you over" in some way. Did you drop money on STO, not like it, then decide you'd come here?

All your posts, are from today, and are all about how bad STO is. So, it makes me assume you feel Cryptic has "screwed you over" in some way. Did you drop money on STO, not like it, then decide you'd come here?

Your question about my personal preferences and posting habits are not lending anything to the conversation, so I don't see the need to explain myself more than I already have.  Feel free to assume anything you like though.

Your question about my personal preferences and posting habits are not lending anything to the conversation, so I don't see the need to explain myself more than I already have.  Feel free to assume anything you like though.

Fair enough. Like I said, I was just curious.

Anyways I too am enjoying STO. I played about ~1 year ago, and didn't enjoy it too much. Found it recently for $6 on D2D and have been playing it for a few hours every week. It's not "the best ST experience EVAR!!!11!!1!!!" but I find it fun if I play casually. And so far the community has been great, as well as the people in my fleet, so that's always a plus to my gaming experience.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

you're going to be disapointed because I can assure you this won't be the case at all. Its going to be an over the shoulder system and will still be confined to the existing mechanics, the only difference is that now you can actually use your mouse button the target and shoot instead of the Tab key, that's how I understood it anyway, its not going to turn the game into Mass Effect like some people seem to think oddly.

I think Tabula Rasa did a sortlike thing, although it wasn't a true fps still it made TR combat gameplay feel different from the usual run-of-the-mill MMO combat.

The addition of a year's worth of episodes, the intriguing Foundry, a revamp of the ground combat system: I might consider picking up STO as a nice and small inbetween filler MMO, next to EQ and GW that I'm playing. That one or Ryzom or CO, undecided yet.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

From the April Q&A:

Q: deeboboy Are there any intentions of making ground pvp first person shooter like star trek elite force?

A: Elite Force was a great use of the Quake III Arena engine, and while MMOs are much different underneath the hood (dealing with a wealth of additional client to database transactions for starters) there are some first person shooter aesthetics we are considering optional as part of our ground combat updates. For example, players will have the option to switch to a reticle aiming mode, where instead of tab or select targeting an enemy, you can aim your reticle over a target to select it, and then use mouse buttons for primary, secondary, or tertiary firing.

That is only a secondary and optional portion of the ground combat changes. The biggest changes you will notice is the increase in responsiveness when using your weapons. Our goal is to have weapons respond as fast as possible when you click an attack power. This involves various speed improvements such as reducing the frames between when you click a power and when the client registers the input, to reducing frames for various weapon powers to animate, to speeding up FX times for the weapon to draw on screen and then matching audio to this new speed.

The end result is that when you click to fire your weapon, it should feel much more responsive and give you a greater sense of control.

Not that this clears it up any, but I thought I'd throw it in here. I'd say we'll still be 3rd person, but hopefully it won't just be hit 1, wait, 1, wait, 1, wait, ah, now I can hit 2, wait, 1,...................................

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

thanks for that info, its as I thought. Not that its bad or anything I actually like the direction they're taking with it.. but a lot of people have definately blown this feature out of proportion.. A lot of modders experiemented with similar mechanics and we all arrived at a similar conclusion that the game would never really support a truly shooter mechanic, that said though what we saw was a pretty big improvement over the present version- Tab targeting is a really dodgy way to play, its more fun having the cursor target, reminds me a bit of how SWG used to be with its targeting- so I like that. (Even SWG wasn't a 100% shooter).

It's definately the most important feature though definately, since it'll make the ground missions less dull to play, and the ground PvP more fast paced.

• Nomis278Nomis278 Member UncommonPosts: 126

Been thinking about returning to this for a bit, dabbled in Black Prophecy recently but it doesn't quite do it for me.

So how's the foundry then? 

Originally posted by Nomis278

Been thinking about returning to this for a bit, dabbled in Black Prophecy recently but it doesn't quite do it for me.

So how's the foundry then? 

Foundry is an improvment, that said you don't get anything good for doing foundry missions. IF they gave us better incentives then it'd be a better feature so long as it wasn't exploitable.

The new non-linear feature for the foundry will be a big improvement though I think mainly because it'll mean cryptic might actually start making non-linear quests of their own and remastering some of the older quests to at least give us something to do outside of KILL KILL KILLL!!!!!

Right now though you should wait, we're waiting on a lot of new features which will take time to be released. Once they are keep looking at opinions as to if they're successful or not- then if they are, try it out again with a trial account or resub.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

I was recently resubbed for a month, well, I used 10 days of that month tbh.

It was exactly one year since I quit the first time.

There have been a lot of little things added to the game, that I give them. Cutscenesque missions, actual non pupup-window dialogue, a (limited) level editor, explorable (yet ridiculously scaled ship interior, a lot of cash-cow-items in their store and graphical revamps (like starbase 001 is now an actual starbase not something a 10-year-old could forge from a 3d-program in an afternoon). Crafting is kind of there now, and there's a (limited) diplomacy system.

But: The game is still aeons away from capturing the spirit of trek. It's still shoeboxing, clicking and killing. They may have fleshed that out a bit with sprinkles of dialogue, but every bit of combat is hard-nailed linear popup->mobspawn->kill. No choice, no exploration, no mystery solving, no actual puzzles, no trek.

I reconsider my initial score of 25/100 and give it a full 40/100, because they made the repetetive space shooter with trek skin a little less repetetive. It's still a slap in the face for someone who considers A final unity the epitome of star trek pc entertainment.

M

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I played STO about 2 months ago and got bored cause of lact of things to do and the lact of players put me off, but playing again now the past couple days and im really enjoying it, i was so suprised to login to see sector space filled with players, and the foundry makes it so you can recreate the classics of the tv shows XD

Have to give credit to Cryptic, they did a stunning job fixing this game :)

Originally posted by Dragonantis

I played STO about 2 months ago and got bored cause of lact of things to do and the lact of players put me off, but playing again now the past couple days and im really enjoying it, i was so suprised to login to see sector space filled with players, and the foundry makes it so you can recreate the classics of the tv shows XD

Have to give credit to Cryptic, they did a stunning job fixing this game :)

Cryptic have really improved and built up the game over the last 12 months or so, they haven't added masses of content but the stuff they have added is awesome.

The episode missions are entertaining and fun to play and with a total lack of Star Trek on the TV with endless loops of replays the missions almost seem a substitute for the lack of Star Trek. The story lines and game play in the missions are very atmospheric and immerse in places and the story themselves are very cool and fit in with all the TV series. Cryptic have been letting the players know that they would rather make a small amount of excellent content than use the developers time to make loads of hollow fluffy nonsense and personally I think that's the way all games should be developed.

Quality>Quantity

Things like the foundry are the icing on the cake and provide a place for fans to finally get their fan fiction into a medium they can share with fans where they can actually experience it instead of just reading it on a forum and some of the player made missions are superb and provide a healthy does of Trekiness with a personal twist.

Want to fly a Constitution refit (from the movies) and dress your crew in that eras of uniforms? knock yourself out and have fun maybe you might even find a player made mission that is set in that era, or you can fly the Defiant and wear DS9 Uniforms and fight in a battle like the episode "Sacrifice of angels" there are many things you can do and fly your favourite ships so its Star Trek with a tailor made fit.

Sure the game still has its problems and it will never be a huge totally open sandbox some people demand without realising that's pretty much unfeasible because of hardware, software and the nature of today's Internet and all the costs involved in creating something like that and the content is still limited but the stuff that's being added is superb and you have legions of fans using the foundry to exercise their creativity and share it with the rest of the community and it all adds up to a very entertaining game and a good Star Trek fix many of us have been crying out for.

Approach this game with reasonable expectations and get into the Spirit of it and its well worth paying the cheap sub (£9 a month in the UK?!? I pay more than that when I have to grab a lunch on the move and pick up a pack of ciggies, or pay monthly for a smart phone and you could buy 3-4 STO subs it really is cheap)

Currently playing:

Gravity Rush,

Company of Heroes II.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Garkan

Sure the game still has its problems and it will never be a huge totally open sandbox some people demand without realising that's pretty much unfeasible because of hardware, software and the nature of today's Internet and all the costs involved in creating something like that and the content is still limited but the stuff that's being added is superb and you have legions of fans using the foundry to exercise their creativity and share it with the rest of the community and it all adds up to a very entertaining game and a good Star Trek fix many of us have been crying out for.

Most people didn't need it to have been a sandbox experience; what Cryptic originally told everyone they were going to make would have been fine enough. As for your arguments regarding the feasibility of making a sandbox MMO, you have it backwards: it takes more work making a themepark game than a sandbox game, given that sandbox games depend in a large amount upon the players creating their own content. Sandpark games are entirely feasible and viable; look at Eve Online whose population has started to grow again. That being said STO was never billed as, nor meant to be, a sandbox game. It was however billed as a AAA MMO, when instead it is a casual game. Those who treat it as such and limit their time playing the game should be ok with it.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

The context of a Star Trek sandbox would still require huge amounts of content and EVE simply lacks content Star Trek Online already has far more content than EVE, a STO sandbox 1/3 the size of EVE with enough content to fill it so it appears to have as much content as the game does at the moment would be a monumental undertaking.

Otherwise you would have all of the set story missions and then thousands of systems with nothing but a few planets you can barely interact with (and the interaction is pathetic when compared to mobile phone WAP games from 8 years back) some places to dock and a few asteroids you can mine and that have NPCs in them and maybe some stations in certain regions.

Other than that you have the "dynamic" npc content which merely amounts to randomly spawning wormholes/plexes/complexes and missions in certain regions and these generally are much less interesting than STOs patrol missions and generally act as an income source for most and for the people who are not high sec scrubs the entertainment factor comes from overcoming the challenges of working out the logistics, the planning of living or traveling out there and staying alive by avoiding or killing the players who will try to kill them.

EVE took years to get the content it has and most of the NPC stuff has really only been added in the last 3-4 years or so or for the population to grow enough so you do see people about and the last thing STO really needs is thousands of empty systems like EVE has because its the players than create the content and I really don't see many of the STO type players liking that, or the PvP either.

I mean we all saw how the players from the so called PvP faction cried rivers of QQ over the Bridge of Death prank so they would never cope with the difficulties of living in sandbox with player created content,

So while Cryptic struggle to add the content over the next 7 years of development with nothing, no extra hidden NPC encounters you cant get without traveling through masses of empty space, no unexplored worlds apart from a poor quality flash game, no pvp, no point exploring for crafting because it wont be worth your time traveling huge distances to find something because you need to be where the players are to sell it and in a game where logistics are a challenge and take thought and effort that means a lot.

To make a Sandbox 1/3 the size of EVE with enough content to fill it with Episode missions and other Star Trek styled content would cost huge amounts of money, maybe even 70m+ when you look at the development cost of single player games and the flashier MMOs on the market today.

Do you see any publisher willing enough to drop that kind of money when they see how niche sandbox games are at the moment and on an ailing franchise like Star Trek?

Currently playing:

Gravity Rush,

Company of Heroes II.

• IceNekoIceNeko Member Posts: 21

Thx to the Steam Sale I actually played the game past beta here for the first time.

First few hours I was surprised on how much better everything played since beta. Now 8 hours later I am beyond addicted. There's so much to do, so much to see. Everything now seems to be really well polished, except running through doors but ahh we can ignore that. The #1 fun so far was Starbase 24(I  think) in which it was like a 20-30 minute continous battle and damn that was fun. It was basically like a Public Quest and somehow I had gotten 2nd place in score vs everyone else there. The R&D I like a lot on just how its setup though a bit confusing at first, I love it now. The exploring of unknown systems for the first time really feels like you're exploring as opposed to just doing a mission. The game universe seems massive. Before hand it was doing the same few missions over and over again.

The only minor issues I have with the game so far is slow travel time in sector space but I hear that gets better after you level up a bit. Trying to figure out where to go when you have a mission because the symbols above people's heads aren't really clear at all or on the map. Go to people who look like they have a quest just for them to say hi to me. Hi. The white circle to point out people's location doesn't look nice sometimes and hard to notice where it actually is in a crowded map. Ground combat is okay but the swordmaster which if gets on top of you will murder you sometimes instantly and not much you can do about it.

As a person who loves space games(EVE Online <3), I think this one is definitely now worth the buy. If they had this game this polished come to release time I would have ordered.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

When will this happen?

It might not happen in the near future if at all, there's been no concrete info but with Cryptics future uncertain any new updates might be cancelled or reworked if their new owner feels like it.

Currently playing:

Gravity Rush,

Company of Heroes II.