Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would you play SWTOR in the long term?

Comments

• obeloviper95obeloviper95 Member Posts: 84

There is not A thing i have heard about this game that i dont like.

And i HOPE the endgame is minor enough to keep those away who run to end game and totally  miss what the game is about just to be the "first" to do somthing in a VIDEO GAME...

I cant wait for this game that finally seems to be made for the average type gamer who is lucky to play maybe 5 hours a week and wants to feel immersed in the universe quickly and everytime they log in for that hour or 2 at a time... which SWTOR sounds like to me.

Just the wait to form large groups to do anything in any mmo these days takes longer then the time i have to even play the game in a day. so the more of the oversized over kill fluff that is not present is awesome.

AND ALL OF THIS  IS MORE THEN ENOUGH TO KEEP ME PLAYING. FOR GOOD.

• obeloviper95obeloviper95 Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Why would you play any MMO in the long term? You're gonna exhaust / get tired of content anyway, so why bother?

There is no logic in such statements. You get into a game because you like what content it has (in each case, what you think it has) at launch.

MMO's continuously add content and there are things like world PvP (most likely objective based) in TOR as well.

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree. Many MMO players I know these days, including myself, aren't in these games for the long haul anymore. We buy them, play them until we get bored, then quit, at least until the next expansion comes out. Gone are the days when a large part of the community are players who are active for years (or even months) at a time.

This is a wide spread trend among players and companies know this. In fact it is starting to effect MMO production. Take a look at Cryptics games and SOEs DCUO. Neither company bothered to even attempt to add enough content to keep players playing indefinitley, just enough to get them hooked and then promised to add more to the game as time went by. A promise neither company has shown themselves to be able to keep very well.

As to what Bioware plans for players, I really think it is too early to tell. From what I've seen it does seem that they are focusing less on the end game grind fest and more on making leveling a new character an entertaining experiance. Sort of a"Tired of your Bounty Hunter? Why not go see how the Smuggler storyline quests pan out." kind of a thing.

I  have to disagree with you completely.

My mmo circle was with SWG from launch day until they destroyed that game. And now most of us have been with LOTRO since launch and have lifetime subs.

And im sure we will absolutly have the same group move to SWTOR. and i know i plan on geting a lifetime sub if they make it available. jsut because u and ur friends like to jump ship regularly dont think thats the norm.

and if u think a 4 year commitment isnt the long haul then, please, tell me what is?

and i still wont leave lotro since im a lifer. ill follow that game till im attacking mordor.

as for SWG i was there for nearly 4 years... i stayed on that ship till it, unfortunatly hit the ocean floor where it lies to this day...

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

For me the answer is No they will not keep me long term even if I like the game a lot. If Bioware would of made 5 single player sequels to KOTOR I would of spent around $300U.S. (5*$60 per game). Since they decided to make a MMO to get more money out of me I could easily spend $500U.S.! With that I would be getting the same story they would have given me with their single player games just at a higher price.  My personal opinion (and you do not have to agree with me) is that I was not put on this earth to make Bioware and EA rich while I rent a video game from them, that at one time I could of just purchased.

Of course if they do a life time sub so I do not have a constant leach to my assets for playing a game (which to me is a hobby and not my life), then yes I will play it for as long as possible to see every story. If the only option is a subscription then I will wait to do a trial, then if I like it enough I will buy the game. I will then play through one story arc just to see what the game is like and then it will do into the never to be played again pile (with all the other subscription based MMOs I have bought).

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by Greymoor

You reach endgame, the story is suddenly very short...

You can PvP in battlegrounds that are static and repetitive

You can beat the couple of raids in existance to get the shiny gear.

Then you realise you could have this exact gameplay but more polished, fluent and more timely in the release of new content in WoW.

Then after reading another thread here you don't see new instances coming out terribly quick because of VO acting OR the they drop that and just throw in a few pages storyline attatched within the patch notes and leave you to get the new shiny gear.

So far they've bigged up every feature and class they have, videos, interviews yet we don't see them bigging up the end game. I smell trouble folks.

How many new MMOs talk about ENDGAME before launch? Bioware has made it a point to say that they arent only focusing on endgame, they dont want people to burn through all the content and hit max levle asap JUST for endgame.

You are missing the point, unlike the past MMOs, which boasted endgame, Bioware is saying, Our game is worth playing, our game is worth taking your time and enjoying, our game isnt weak like rift, where level 1 to 49 dont mean a damn thing, and all you are doing is trying to hit 50 as soon as possible so you can start farming your plaques of achievement.

Bioware is boasting a solid gameplay experience from level 1 right to level 50, that is why they arent trumpeting endgame, They have said one quote and is more then sufficent for endgame, "Everything you expect to find Endgame, will be there." Meaning you want to raid, you can, want to pvp you can, want to grind instances, craft, wahtever the hell you do end game, you can. What more do you want them to say? Do you want them to start giving you end game raid guides?

Games that only focus on end game are shallow, that is why they only focus on end game.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

The only major concern i have is that there will be lots of players playing the game 10 hours a day and when they hit the lvl cap and find nothing else to do are going to bash Bioware for it..

For me, i only tend to play it casually so i don't find myself burned out too soon. As for the question why: I'm looking for a game with a huge following and a setting which appeals to me. SWTOR brings me both

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

A community that works together, and game mechanics that help bring players together instead of trying to segregate them. Also, I'm not paying a monthly subscription for KotoR 3.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Battlegrounds?

Raid instances?

Think I've seen them before... probably done better too from the looks of the BG preview.

I'm fairly sure flashpoints will eaither all be done within the first few months or get boring and easy.

Space combat looks fun but it can't compensate for an entire end-game.

Looks like SWTOR could become a victim of pure themepark gameplay, not having the content nor the ability to churn out the content fast enough to keep it's players entertained. I'll deal with the poor static animations etc for a good story line and questing system but with no endgame it's a no go for many people.

Hi, I'm from the future.

Before I took my "backstep" I had been happily playing SW:TOR for the last 50 years. The launch looked a bit shaky and the endgame really needed tweaking. Then, guess what happened? Aliens invade Earth! So there we were, hiding out in the ruins of Warrington and someone manages to get the servers back up. Turns out that Bioware made the game with a special code that disables all the alien ships when you typed "MOAR POWA!!!!" into the chat screen. Alien ship were going down all over the world and it was a good day. Since Bioware had the only network that was still functioning, TOR became the only MMO to exist in the future. Fast forward 49 years and I'm now teaching a class on Mouse Mastery at the TOR university on the south face of Mons Olympus on Mars. The endgame now consists of piloting combat drones through a wormhole and doing bombing runs on the alien homeworld.

So, why would you play SWTOR in the longterm? Because, simply, this game will save the world.

/thread

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Leethe

Battlegrounds?

Raid instances?

Think I've seen them before... probably done better too from the looks of the BG preview.

I'm fairly sure flashpoints will eaither all be done within the first few months or get boring and easy.

Looks like SWTOR could become a victim of pure themepark gameplay, not having the content nor the ability to churn out the content fast enough to keep it's players entertained. I'll deal with the poor static animations etc for a good story line and questing system but with no endgame it's a no go for many people.

Hi, I'm from the future.

Before I took my "backstep" I had been happily playing SW:TOR for the last 50 years. The launch looked a bit shaky and the endgame really needed tweaking. Then, guess what happened? Aliens invade Earth! So there we were, hiding out in the ruins of Warrington and someone manages to get the servers back up. Turns out that Bioware made the game with a special code that disables all the alien ships when you typed "MOAR POWA!!!!" into the chat screen. Alien ship were going down all over the world and it was a good day. Since Bioware had the only network that was still functioning, TOR became the only MMO to exist in the future. Fast forward 49 years and I'm now teaching a class on Mouse Mastery at the TOR university on the south face of Mons Olympus on Mars. The endgame now consists of piloting combat drones through a wormhole and doing bombing runs on the alien homeworld.

So, why would you play SWTOR in the longterm? Because, simply, this game will save the world.

/thread

Awesome :)

I also heard that Swtor will herald Jezus' second coming (no internet in heaven, He's really hyped about it and He doesn't fancy swimming anyway), can you confirm this?

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Leethe

Battlegrounds?

Raid instances?

Hi, I'm from the future.

/thread

Possible the worst story I have ever heard

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Battlegrounds?

Raid instances?

Why would anyone play ANY game in the long term? There are so many games out there that there is no need to do so.

Developers said there will be content as much as 7 KOTOR in TOR. Assuming that is true, we are talking about 700 hours of gameplay. Even if you play "full-time', it will take like 6 months to "finish" all the content. That is a heck longer than any SP game.

The beauty of this is that i don't have to care. I just play the game, when teh content is done, i am gone. Whether it will be 3 month .. or 6 .. makes no difference, as long as those months are fun.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by nariusseldon 

Why would anyone play ANY game in the long term? There are so many games out there that there is no need to do so.

Developers said there will be content as much as 7 KOTOR in TOR. Assuming that is true, we are talking about 700 hours of gameplay. Even if you play "full-time', it will take like 6 months to "finish" all the content. That is a heck longer than any SP game.

The beauty of this is that i don't have to care. I just play the game, when teh content is done, i am gone. Whether it will be 3 month .. or 6 .. makes no difference, as long as those months are fun.

Believe it or not some of us are looking to invest much more time in an mmorpg. If it's a really great title I can easily play it for years. There are plenty of other gaming genres that supply quick short term thrills, why does the mmorpg genre need to be assimilated into that collective?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

I lol'd when someone claimed the game will have over 700hours of gameplay. I'd be supprised if this was even remotely true and then astonished if 50% of it was interesting non repetitive gameplay.

You can have your companions play the game for you, gather, do missions, craft. That's all those aspects of the gameplay cut out for the sake of being lazy. Probably because they didn't have time to introduce a good crafting system too.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

How could we know if we havent played it yet? Can we talk about Diablo 6 insted?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I lol'd when someone claimed the game will have over 700hours of gameplay. I'd be supprised if this was even remotely true and then astonished if 50% of it was interesting non repetitive gameplay.

You can have your companions play the game for you, gather, do missions, craft. That's all those aspects of the gameplay cut out for the sake of being lazy. Probably because they didn't have time to introduce a good crafting system too.

SWTOR isn't the game you're looking for. Move along *waves hand*

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

SWTOR isn't the game you're looking for. Move along *waves hand*

Good point Maverick! :)

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

I might play TOR for 2-3 months tops, but the WoW-style structure is getting really old.

Also, the WoW-style MMO model is unsustainable long-term. How many Western MMOs since WoW have been able to use that structure, including payment structure, and been able to even maintain their initial playerbase?

TOR will sell over a million copies at launch then subscriptions will drop like a rock for the first six months to under 250,000 with under 200,000 after the first year. A steady decline will take place every month after that.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

I might play TOR for 2-3 months tops, but the WoW-style structure is getting really old.

Also, the WoW-style MMO model is unsustainable long-term. How many Western MMOs since WoW have been able to use that structure, including payment structure, and been able to even maintain their initial playerbase?

TOR will sell over a million copies at launch then subscriptions will drop like a rock for the first six months to under 250,000 with under 200,000 after the first year. A steady decline will take place every month after that.

I agree with the sub numbers falling but personally i think they will level out at between 200-250k and stay a constant.

I also will play this game from launch and really take it from there, I will sub for as long as it keeps me entertained, once it stops entertaining me and I feel forced into logging on to use my sub, that's when i will cancel my sub.  I think SWTOR will probably be the last mmo i subscribe to as well, can't seem to find any others on the horizon that interest me apart from SWTOR. 

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Although I agree (more or less) with the highlighted text, I fail to see where SWTOR is another wow clone. It looks like KOTOR Online to me.....and isn't that what it was supposed to be anyway???

Honestly, I think that from all that I have seen and read about this game, including the vast amount of content and polish it will feature....this may well be a game that I can settle into for a few years.

I personally think that people are too quick to paint a game as a "wow clone", simply because they may see some common features that are likely to be common in just about ANY MMORPG.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Although I agree (more or less) with the highlighted text, I fail to see where SWTOR is another wow clone. It looks like KOTOR Online to me.....and isn't that what it was supposed to be anyway???

Honestly, I think that from all that I have seen and read about this game, including the vast amount of content and polish it will feature....this may well be a game that I can settle into for a few years.

I personally think that people are too quick to paint a game as a "wow clone", simply because they may see some common features that are likely to be common in just about ANY MMORPG.

Even Greg Zeschuk, co-founder of Bioware, stated "It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

And TOR didn't have to be a WoW-style linear themepark with the 'holy trinity'. Even some sort of hybrid of themepark/sandpark would have at least been different. The path they chose for TOR may have looked great backin 2006 when they first started working on TOR, but it doesn't look like such a great long-term model now.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Even Greg Zeschuk, co-founder of Bioware, stated "It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

And TOR didn't have to be a WoW-style linear themepark with the 'holy trinity'. Even some sort of hybrid of themepark/sandpark would have at least been different. The path they chose for TOR may have looked great backin 2006 when they first started working on TOR, but it doesn't look like such a great long-term model now.

I am well aware of the quote in question.....in fact I believe it was posted in the first couple of months after TOR's initial announcement.

I am also aware of the fact that he is not the project leader, and as far as I know has nothing to do with the game's development.

You are looking at the game from the wrong perspective.....and trying to force it into one of the categories that are so casually thrown around this site these days.

Go play KOTOR, then watch some of that footage again. Look familiar??

KOTOR + new features + multiplayer = SWTOR.

I for one can appreciate that for what it is, and what it means.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

In short, the only thing that would make me play ANY mmo long term would be a good guild/community.  Without that, boredom sets in after a month or two, doesn't matter what game it is.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Endless repeative raids for gear just isnt my up of tea. So that wont keep me as a long time subscriber of any game.

What will make me stay for a longer period of time would be: Community, PvP, exploring, player driven economy and if player actions will have changing impact of the game.

That beeing said, community is really important. Cool and fun people to share your experience with will make most games fun...

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

This is a nonsensical argument. I mean, let's be objective, how many non-themepark MMO's besides EVE have been able to be very successful using a different structure?

Fact is that so far MMO's that stayed close to the WoW/themepark structure have thrived best among all the MMO's when it comes to revenue and when it comes to subs.

Originally posted by Hauken

That beeing said, community is really important. Cool and fun people to share your experience with will make most games fun...

Now THIS is a core truth when it comes to MMO gaming, one that many tend to forget. It isn't just an MMO design that makes the MMORPG fun but also its community, and despite how much sandbox or oldschool fans may say otherwise, a community can be great and interesting too in themepark MMO's.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

This is a nonsensical argument. I mean, let's be objective, how many non-themepark MMO's besides EVE have been able to be very successful using a different structure?

Fact is that so far MMO's that stayed close to the WoW/themepark structure have thrived best among all the MMO's when it comes to revenue and when it comes to subs.

Originally posted by Hauken

Now THIS is a core truth when it comes to MMO gaming, one that many tend to forget. It isn't just an MMO design that makes the MMORPG fun but also its community, and despite how much sandbox or oldschool fans may say otherwise, a community can be great and interesting too in themepark MMO's.

i'd say those numbers were too conservative... i do expect SW:TOR to have significant box sales.. .. but after the first 3 months i wouldnt expect the game to drop below 300k.. if anything it would be closer to 500k....  although personally i don't see any reason for me to buy it or play it.. at least i can see there will be quite a few that will.. .. i mean.. there is no way this game will be as bad as STO!!! ... image

I am well aware of the quote in question.....in fact I believe it was posted in the first couple of months after TOR's initial announcement.

I am also aware of the fact that he is not the project leader, and as far as I know has nothing to do with the game's development.

You are looking at the game from the wrong perspective.....and trying to force it into one of the categories that are so casually thrown around this site these days.

Go play KOTOR, then watch some of that footage again. Look familiar??

KOTOR + new features + multiplayer = SWTOR.

I for one can appreciate that for what it is, and what it means.

That quote is from Feb. 2011.