Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What allot of gamers are saying now "because I am totally bored of traditional gameplay."

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

RIFT just came out and allot of people agree it is the best polished release in years. People complain about having to deal with broken, rush, release MMORPG to the point the dev's spend all there time fixing the problems instead of adding content etc. Trion made sure to release a nearly bug free MMORPG but allot of players that complain about dealing with broken release MMORPG are now complaining again, they wanted a clean release and it was granted but people still are leaving RIFT because they want something different....

I do not know if people are sick of fantasy,scifi, type MMORPG.... tell us what you want to see different because  I do not know what to add.

RIFT just came out and allot of people agree it is the best polish release in years. People complain about having to deal with broken, rush, release MMORPG to the point the dev's spend all there time fixing the problems instead of adding content etc. Trion made sure to release a nearly bug free MMORPG but allot of players that complain about dealing with broken release MMORPG are now complaining again, they wanted a clean release and it was granted but people still are leaving RIFT because they want something different....

I do not know if people are sick of fantasy,scifi, type MMORPG.... tell us what you want to see different because  I do not know what to add.

RIFT just came out and allot of people agree it is the best polish release in years. People complain about having to deal with broken, rush, release MMORPG to the point the dev's spend all there time fixing the problems instead of adding content etc. Trion made sure to release a nearly bug free MMORPG but allot of players that complain about dealing with broken release MMORPG are now complaining again, they wanted a clean release and it was granted but people still are leaving RIFT because they want something different....

I do not know if people are sick of fantasy,scifi, type MMORPG.... tell us what you want to see different because  I do not know what to add.RIFT just came out and allot of people agree it is the best polish release in years. People complain about having to deal with broken, rush, release MMORPG to the point the dev's spend all there time fixing the problems instead of adding content etc. Trion made sure to release a nearly bug free MMORPG but allot of players that complain about dealing with broken release MMORPG are now complaining again, they wanted a clean release and it was granted but people still are leaving RIFT because they want something different....

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

It's very, very true, for those of us who have been playing the genre for years.

It doesn't matter if your game is polished beyond belief. If it is more of the same but with new shininess, it's not going to grab attention. Take the Zelda games, for example: same basic premise, genre, characters, etc, yet every game brings with it new gameplay elements that keep it from becoming stale. Yet, MMO developers have basically tried to find what they perceive as the 'magic forumula' and then not deviate from that at all.

<3

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

A lot of the people who post on these forums have the attitude of being tired of traditional MMO gameplay, but this is a tiny minority only and not the attitude of MMO players in general.

That said, what most of the dissatisfied players want to see is as close to a holodeck experience as possible. Fantastic worlds made real through incredible simulation. A complete pipe dream given current technology, but a near certainty in some far flung future.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by OSF8759

A lot of the people who post on these forums have the attitude of being tired of traditional MMO gameplay, but this is a tiny minority only and not the attitude of MMO players in general.

That said, what most of the dissatisfied players want to see is as close to a holodeck experience as possible. Fantastic worlds made real through incredible simulation. A complete pipe dream given current technology, but a near certainty in some far flung future.

LOL some funny stuff.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

a great example of what people want is guild wars 2, TERA and maybe archeage. while people will doubt and hate on them, usually in defense of their prefereed hyped MMO(because the better these are, the worse the other games are seen since they are competition), they are what we want and need now. even people shitting on it and hyping games like RIFT and SWTOR...they'll fold and buy GW2 and become rather silent on the forums. RIFT is a good game, and it is damn sure finsihed and polished, but it is just like WoW at its core, with some other feature sprinkled on. 

the core gameplay is the same, so if you are tired of games like WoW you literally have nowhere to turn except GW2, TERA and archeage. this has to be addressed along with the technical issues. RIFT is a good example of how SWTOR will be regarded after release. hopefully EA doesn't put their dick in it like all the other RPG's and MMO's they have destroyed over the years and makes Bioware put it out before it's ready. all you fans of  SWTOR should thank  people like me who gave them shit 24/7 on Dragon Age 2. SWTOR might have actually been released this spring and been a shitty, unfinished mess.

• menasuremenasure Member Posts: 75

well i'm bored because games nowadays seem to concentrate more on graphics than on the actual gameplay: what i really want is more possibilities in game but on the other hand i can't blame the developers for choosing 'the spectacular route' because whatever shines apparently does sell better ... or at least till the hype is gone.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by menasure

well i'm bored because games nowadays seem to concentrate more on graphics than on the actual gameplay: what i really want is more possibilities in game but on the other hand i can't blame the developers for choosing 'the spectacular route' because whatever shines apparently does sell better.

such a game would seem too hardcore to the crowd of "gamers" that blizzard pulled in. EVE is about it right now.

I think adding what most MMORPG and console games are doing by allowing us the players to have some in game development feature like CoH and Infamous two have to allow us to craft our own levels and quest while we play what the Dev's created for us, that right there is a huge, nearly infinite content.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by OSF8759

I would agree that there are a few players that fall into this category.   Too bad for them it will be a long time before there will be any large advancements in MMOs.  However, it really isn't that people are bored of the traditional gameplay, but it feels like nothing had changed in the last 7 years. Tthe reason for that is that there has been only 2 polished releases (Aion,Rift) and they are so similar to WoW, and there doesn't seem to be much hope for the future.

SWTOR seems to be the only bright spot, but it is giving off some serious multiplayer co-op vibes.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by slim26

RIFT just came out and allot of people agree it is the best polished release in years. People complain about having to deal with broken, rush, release MMORPG to the point the dev's spend all there time fixing the problems instead of adding content etc. Trion made sure to release a nearly bug free MMORPG but allot of players that complain about dealing with broken release MMORPG are now complaining again, they wanted a clean release and it was granted but people still are leaving RIFT because they want something different....

I do not know if people are sick of fantasy,scifi, type MMORPG.... tell us what you want to see different because  I do not know what to add.RIFT just came out and allot of people agree it is the best polish release in years. People complain about having to deal with broken, rush, release MMORPG to the point the dev's spend all there time fixing the problems instead of adding content etc. Trion made sure to release a nearly bug free MMORPG but allot of players that complain about dealing with broken release MMORPG are now complaining again, they wanted a clean release and it was granted but people still are leaving RIFT because they want something different....

Fun

Community

Challenge

Character

Everything that is missing from all MMOs released after WoW

Yeah Archage "the winner" and TERA seems to be on it, GW2 is abit behind vs the other two but also have next gen features. So yes the three will be the next new fresh of air. RIFT came on polished, great! RIFT is also fun but I see what others mean about the same old stuff. I was shocked to see another new MMORPG with no player housing, we are all the world savers but we are all living on the streets like street rats, everyone else in the game world have Forts, private dungeons, camps, city's, castle, houses etc, we have nothing, we sleep on the city streets, bath in city streams, eat on the ground in all epic luxury gear.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Before I start reading this thread is it another, "People are tired of WoW like games with the holy trinity even though well over 70% of the MMO market are currently playing a wow like game"?

People are not bored of traditional type MMO mechanics any more then they are of traditional FPS mechanics, to say other wise would be stupid. Its even more idiotic to assume that F2P/B2P games like Archage and GW2 will "save the genre" anymore then games like Rift or TOR will.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I refuse to play any more games that neglect to give the players housing.  It's totally idiotic, in my opinion, to work and live in a world but yet be expected to believe that we do that with absolutely no home of which to speak.  If I wanted to play a homeless person, I would. They should just make it a class if they're not going to provide any housing.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Earlier today I wrote:

Sadly I cancelled after a few weeks, because I am totally bored of traditional gameplay. Same thing happened when I tried WoW, Lotro and Vanguard again recently.
    And I guess it is going to happen with TOR, too.
    I didn´t want to flame Trion with my statement. In fact I am looking forward to play their next game "EoN".
    It is just that if you eat cake every day for many years, there will be one day where you´ll be sick of cake.
    For people who still like this kind of cake Rift is a rock-solid MMO.
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

I know I'm bored to death with the WoW-style MMO craze. That's why I'm so interested in ArcheAge and even an Xbox 360 MMO like Undead Labs' open-world zombie survival MMO. And my interest in TOR, another WoW-style MMO, keeps diminishing (even though I'm a hardcare Star Wars nut).

Originally posted by Herodes

Earlier today I wrote:

Sadly I cancelled after a few weeks, because I am totally bored of traditional gameplay. Same thing happened when I tried WoW, Lotro and Vanguard again recently.

And I guess it is going to happen with TOR, too.

It is just that if you eat cake every day for many years, there will be one day where you´ll be sick of cake.

For people who still like this kind of cake Rift is a rock-solid MMO.

Thats fine (and a good anology) but the thing I hate is that when it comes go games like GW2 Archage  you are still eating cake, only its  different flavor and you're trying to pass it off for a danish.

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

I know I'm bored to death with the WoW-style MMO craze. That's why I'm so interested in ArcheAge and even an Xbox 360 MMO like Undead Labs' open-world zombie survival MMO. And my interest in TOR, another WoW-style MMO, keeps diminishing (even though I'm a hardcare Star Wars nut).

From someone who actually played the game I can tell you than TOR combat is about as similar to WoW as GW2 is to GW1, they may look the same but they feel extremly different.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

From someone who actually played the game I can tell you than TOR combat is about as similar to WoW as GW2 is to GW1, they may look the same but they feel extremly different.

I wasn't even really talking about combat mechanics more than the linear-themepark 'holy' trinity element. I'm simply bored death with it. TOR will hold my attention for maybe 3 months due to its WoW-like structure (which is sad because I really am a big Star Wars fan).

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

For me the genre doesn't matter. A wow-clone could be made in a setting of the movie Idiocracy if someone was determined to do it.

FFXI and WoW weren't terribly different genres (much of both games were about killing dragons and demigods and such) but they took totally different approaches.

All that I mean is that a new contender could find a new approach, and it starts with the combat systems and UI for me. If I feel like I'm staring through 'Warcraft's cockpit', it doesn't matter what I see. It still feels like Warcraft.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by just1opinion

I refuse to play any more games that neglect to give the players housing.  It's totally idiotic, in my opinion, to work and live in a world but yet be expected to believe that we do that with absolutely no home of which to speak.  If I wanted to play a homeless person, I would. They should just make it a class if they're not going to provide any housing.

I agree.

One should at least be able to build a campsite in order to rest and recuperate from travel or battles. I would rather have this option more than being able to hearth back to a city.

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Archeage. Going to be awesome. (For whoever said it's F2P/P2W it's not).

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Thats fine (and a good anology) but the thing I hate is that when it comes go games like GW2 Archage  you are still eating cake, only its  different flavor and you're trying to pass it off for a danish.

That is a good point.
    I don´t know much about ArcheAge yet - it reminds me a bit of Vanguard. As for Guild Wars 2 I hope there will be many different minigames, because in case of PvE Rift gave me an idea, how the events in GW2 will feel like - of course it will be fun in the beginning...
  • doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Indeed, I'm somewaht bored of the same ol' same ol'. What I want to see different? I don't know for certain either. Though it's a broad statement, I simply want something that breaks away from the usual mmorpg mold. Essentially, something that has me calling it a breath of fresh air. I understand there are certain aspects of an mmorpg that will always be part of it's foundation. I simply wish for some innovation, whether it be building on ideas that already exist, or finding new ways to go about certain things. I don't want essentially the same game painted a different color.

This reasoning of mine is partly why I'm somewhat interested in Arche Age at the moment. It seems to be a MMORPG that'll be somewhat out of the box when it comes to gameplay.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i think its erroneous to suggest that people are bored of 'traditional' gameplay.. given that all evidence indicates the contrary.. the most popular games are, lets be quite frank about this.. those games that epitomise 'traditional' gameplay features.. im not even sure its true to say that players are even bored.. given that so many actually do play. ... surely its not simply a case of inertia.. players will inevitably vote with their wallets when it comes to whether a game is fun or not.. and no matter how vociferous a vocal minority might be that denies this is the case..  until the majority become unhappy with games that utilise 'traditional' elements in their gameplay.. i doubt whether things will change.. i think it will always be a case of supply and demand.. for the most part there are niche games that probably supply those gameplay elements that mainstream players neglect.. which is why their niche image

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 507

the same posters that complained that they where tired of unfinished releases, who are now complaining they are tired of the same ol thing, will be the same ones complaining if a company does try something new... some people just complain.

Godz of War I call Thee

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by Phry

i think its erroneous to suggest that people are bored of 'traditional' gameplay.. given that all evidence indicates the contrary.. the most popular games are, lets be quite frank about this.. those games that epitomise 'traditional' gameplay features.. im not even sure its true to say that players are even bored.. given that so many actually do play. ... surely its not simply a case of inertia.. players will inevitably vote with their wallets when it comes to whether a game is fun or not.. and no matter how vociferous a vocal minority might be that denies this is the case..  until the majority become unhappy with games that utilise 'traditional' elements in their gameplay.. i doubt whether things will change.. i think it will always be a case of supply and demand.. for the most part there are niche games that probably supply those gameplay elements that mainstream players neglect.. which is why their niche image

I think MMO's are kind of an addiction. And the fact that there are no high quality "niche" games for them to switch to means they stay where they have already joined a community, and are comfortable. I think for a LOT of players logging on is similar to logging into a chatroom back in the AOL days. The games weren't stale when they came out, but after so many years the gamer is now faced with the decision of playing the now stale game with people they know, or admiting they just spend a ton of money on a game with no real life rewards. I personally have stopped playing until something worthwhile comes out because I'm just tired of the same old thing. If I could still enjoy leveling in WoW I would play it, but I made it from 1-85 in less than 3 weeks. 

Anyway....people keep playing because it's what they know. (short version)