Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so successful?

WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Honestly it blows my mind that a game like this has a much much larger base than several p2p games currently out.

Beyond the graphics and I guess unique side-scroller gameplay, what is it that made this game so successful compared to others?

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

i'm being completely serious by the way :V

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

The answer lies in Mount Doom..

• bubbabluebubbablue Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Honestly it blows my mind that a game like this has a much much larger base than several p2p games currently out.

Beyond the graphics and I guess unique side-scroller gameplay, what is it that made this game so successful compared to others?

B/c its Good And Alot Of UpDates Great Alots Of Worlds And It Makes You Work For What You Do You Don't 

Have Them Do Everything For You

ricky

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I'm curious about this as well. I remember playing and getting bored by the repetitiveness and simple animations. I actually like Wonder King somewhat I guess because I think the animations are way cooler, and I believe it has an auction house and pvp (which MapleStory doesn't have as far as I know) buut I've been thinking about trying Maple Story again, because the main reason I quit was because I forgot my secret ID or whatever. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• anigousanigous Member UncommonPosts: 113

I tried LaTale, etc. etc. I ALWAYS find myself saying, "Damn... my old friends on maplestory were way cooler..." and I come back. The thing of maplestory is that KPQ gives you an influx of friends, and 9/10 I found REALLY cool guys.

I even found one who has good musical tastes. ;)

(Eric Clapton, Blind Faith, etc. etc.)

"i have a lvl 26 maplestory warrior lvl 9 asda story archer and a adventure quest mage lvl 15 and my xfire is my bro's"

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

What makes MS so great? simple , botters are free to bot 24/7/365 (366 every 4 years)

Played this for like a week , and was amazed on how many botters were running loose , I'm not talking about 2-3 botters , i'm talking hundreds if not thousands.

There isn't much to say on maple story. If it were a console game where I can play solo offline I would probably buy it,but online? In some areas you got more botters then mobs, makes leveling a pain in the behind.

Anyways those who enjoys it , that's them. I usually end a post with "Enjoy!" but honestly there isn't much to enjoy on maple story. Not because of the graphics but because it's a game with no depth.I thought MS was Mario bros meets WonderBoy,boy was I ever wrong,  It's more  like Mario Bros meets IMVU.  If I were to pick between 2D MMOs , I'd pick Fairyland hands down , at least in FL bots were rare but then again I could be wrong since I haven't played in like 2 years.

Good luck!  

• DaKutzyDaKutzy Member Posts: 2

Well, GMS is the worst version out there. Try KMS - it's a heaven. New Big Bang patch, resistance classes. KMS was the 1st one so we get the content at first. No hackers, botters - and I realy mean it. I'm happy MS player after switching from GMS to KMS (even if I don't know korean).

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

Botters are way less of an issue now than they use to be and nexon is a huge company and they are sucuessful for a reason i would say botting is a very small issue and if you played for a week you would be really low lvl so why would there be botters there if they are allowed to bot all the time wouldnt they be far ahead of you??? Most people mistake botters for people who just dont want to talk back and some people dont speak english or are talking in party chat.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• TechyRadhikaTechyRadhika Member Posts: 9

What I believe attracts people to play MapleStory is the simplicity, but complexity.

They firstly grab the player with the free to play, which dragged me in, but at the time, there were quite a few people at the school already playing it, which was essentially why I started to play.

Secondly, the simplicity allows you to start and make friends very easily.

Thirdly, the game is very social. There's seriously no need to level. :P You can talk with friends all day, Nexon doesn't care. There are a lot of social people on it, and I think these people pull you back. The community has definitely matured over time, and I must say, I am proud.

-Andheri

• MillergreyMillergrey Member Posts: 5

The good thing playing Maplestory is what it gives. The game is so simple to play even a 5 yo can play it. first they entise you to play the game because it F2P and when you progress further they grap you to pay for their premium item. OT its so succesful because its fun and simplicity is beauty in my opinion.

• kamotehquekamotehque Member Posts: 19

I've long since quit MapleStory, but I still feel it's a worthwhile game, especially as it's (for the majority) free, and not particularly difficult to get into.

Although most MMORPGs require time, this one requires possibly the most of all. It takes hours of grinding and button mashing to procure the shiny green words LEVEL UP above your head. The feeling gained from this is possibly the most wonderful one you can get online. Although it gets tiresome from level 40 onwards, and even more so from level 55, it is fun and gives you a chance to make new friends. To visualise a screen, I'd say put Mario Bros, Pokemon and FFIX together, and you've got it. It's a cutesy MMORPG to say the least, but that doesn't mean it can't enthral players. Basically there are 6 main jobs. Beginner, Warrior, Bowman, Mage, Thief and Pirate. Beginners tend to stray towards Thief, Pirate or Mage, but they are all very useful and worth a shot. Basically, to sum it up - use fancy looking skills to mash carbon copies of the same monster for weeks. Sounds boring? It's not.

Great game, made even more so because it's free! There's several sites devoted to the game, and the community isn't as bad as most (coughcoughRunescapecoughcough). Try it, and if you don't like it, uninstall. It's only a gigabyte or so, which is great, because almost any modern computer can play it. Be prepared for months of devotion - you'll need it. Hitting Green Mushrooms with a Broadsword for several months does get boring. But it's still one of the best MMORPGs on the net. It's a great game, and I applaud Wizet and Nexon for having the guile to come up with an ingenious idea as such. A job well done, and I'd like to see some even better projects in future.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

I don't play MapleStory at all anymore (though I considered going back during the Big Bang, which rebalanced a lot of things; then I remembered that what bored me wasn't balance issues). However, I remember when I did play, I was pretty young. It was one of the first few good F2P games, and the colors were amazing. I swear, it's the colors of the Maple world that really drew me in. And the simplicity. No learning curve at all, really.

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

Because it requires skill to play xD

You can dodge attacks(both melee and ranged), there is a little bit of aiming in there, and enemies flinch when you hit them. It feels like I'm playing a side-scrolling console game; only, unlike most MMOs that require skill, this game still offers a huge amount of exploration, quests, and dungeons(I don't remember if they were instanced or not).

Most MMORPGs don't require skill at all =/ 

Most MMORPGs, like Perfect World, make you feel like you're watching your character do everything. When you or your enemy are hit, they don't flinch or anything...they just keep attacking you. There is no dodging...not even any kiting! (Not that Perfect World doesn't have amazing features[guild wars, factions occupied by guilds, faction bases, flying, pvp servers] but are those features worth enduring the awful fighting system? I understand that it makes you want to form parties....but games that require skill can do that too if it's challenging enough and the rewards are worth it(Mabinogi).

Not that Maplestory's the only game like that.....there's also Mabinogi and Shin Megami, which are both 3D. 

It is really odd, though, that people who do vidoes or reviews on these games don't seem to mention or even notice how unique the fighting is at all for an MMORPG  =/

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

Originally posted by Feverfew

You can dodge attacks(both melee and ranged), there is a little bit of aiming in there, and enemies flinch when you hit them. It feels like I'm playing a side-scrolling console game; only, unlike most MMOs that require skill, this game still offers a huge amount of exploration, quests, and dungeons(I don't remember if they were instanced or not).

Most MMORPGs, like Perfect World, make you feel like you're watching your character do everything. When you or your enemy are hit, they don't flinch or anything...they just keep attacking you. There is no dodging...not even any kiting! (Not that Perfect World doesn't have amazing features[guild wars, factions occupied by guilds, faction bases, flying, pvp servers] but are those features worth enduring the awful fighting system? I understand that it makes you want to form parties....but games that require skill can do that too if it's challenging enough and the rewards are worth it(Mabinogi).

Not that Maplestory's the only game like that.....there's also Mabinogi and Shin Megami, which are both 3D. 

It is really odd, though, that people who do vidoes or reviews on these games don't seem to mention or even notice how unique the fighting is at all for an MMORPG  =/

You really think MapleStory requires skill?

Unless you're half blind and can't see the screen it's ridiculously easy to aim.

Many DDO requires skill because you have to aim 3D while using skills you can't just spam like you can in MapleStory, but don't say that MapleStory requires skill just because you can aim. Are you saying those WoW players who PvP and have to run around hitting hotkeys as fast as Korean Starcraft players aren't skilled?

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by bisurge

Originally posted by Feverfew

You really think MapleStory requires skill?

Unless you're half blind and can't see the screen it's ridiculously easy to aim.

Many DDO requires skill because you have to aim 3D while using skills you can't just spam like you can in MapleStory, but don't say that MapleStory requires skill just because you can aim. Are you saying those WoW players who PvP and have to run around hitting hotkeys as fast as Korean Starcraft players aren't skilled?

DDO requires skill, and I do like DDO, but most games aren't DDO and 90% of DDO is instanced. 

Also, I said "there is a little bit of aiming in there."

Yeah, it's easy to aim, but...."there is a little bit of aiming in there" <.<

And it does require skill. Very little skill 1 on 1, but it's *never* 1 on 1.....

I've never played WoW so I can't say anything about it....so no...I'm not "saying those WoW players who pvp.......aren't skilled."

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64

Well, if I had to guess it's because it was one of the first 'free to play' side scroller games, it has graphics that easily attract any young gamer, it is very easy to play (in 5 minutes you will know all the basic controls), and I think overall, it's a well made game.

• Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Thegoodlol

Well, if I had to guess it's because it was one of the first 'free to play' side scroller games, it has graphics that easily attract any young gamer, it is very easy to play (in 5 minutes you will know all the basic controls), and I think overall, it's a well made game.

That says it all.

Btw check out the Maple Kombat series on youtube

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

I ike the music and hilariousness of everything. I love hat the most powerful being int he Universe is teh Pink Bean and that he jams on his headphones while your fighting him XD And that he's only been beaten twice ever (at last since the last time I read the maple wiki XD) 

It's just goofy and lighthearted and I like the classes. ( I don't play atm, but I always have it installed on my comp just in case I get the urge)