Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My newly built rig won't read the o/s. Please Help!

JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Hi guys, I recently built a new rig and the darn thing won't read the operating system.  I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate and the installation freezes on the very first screen.  It doesn't finish downloading the initial install files.  I've tried using 2 different W7 ultimate discs and 2 different hard drives so I know it's not my discs and hard drives.  I then used the rig I'm on now to install the o/s on the HD and it was successful.  

I then put the HD back in the new rig and an error message appears saying something like there was an error trying to boot the o/s.  It gives me an option to repair the o/s installation or reboot.  When I choose repair, it freezes and when I choose reboot I get the same error message.  Bottom line is my rig is not reading Windows 7 Ultimate for some reason.  Has anyone had this problem or know what I need to do to fix this problem?  Did I miss a setting in the Bios somewhere?  

p.s. the motherboard seems to be working fine... the bios seems to be working great and I was able to overclock the cpu.  I did return the cpu to original state before trying to install the o/s.

motherboard - MSI AM3 AMD 870-G45

cpu - AMD Phenom II x2 545

RAM - 2 x DDR3 2GB PC3-10600 1333MHZ 

HD - White Label 750g Sata 300 HD 5400RPM 8MB Buffer

Video - EVGA GeForce GTX460 SE

optical drive - Pioneer DVD/CD Writable

psu - Blue Star 650W 20+4-pin w/Blue LED Fan

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Make sure you go into bios and select "default" settings,  then go back into the bios and make sure the settings are correct for your ram, cpu.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• gotcha89gotcha89 Member UncommonPosts: 34

Hello,

I think you also bought a new motherboard? If that is right you need to reinstall your computer. When using a other motherboard with a different chipset. The Installation OS will corrupt.

edit: erase your harddrive completely. Otherwice try a bios reset

Gotcha

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The way it reads to me is you installed an operating system to the hard drive on one system and then moved the hard drive to a second system and now you are trying to update the second system. Now the second system won't boot up.

Unless the first system has the same motherboard and cpu as the second one, it's working as intended. Repairing it won't work. You need a fresh install to the hard drive while it is in the system it will be used in.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

I think he tried to troubleshoot his discs by installing in on the HD from a different machine, yet it still won't work on his new hardware.  Check the bios settings and various jumpers on your drives.  It's most likely a bios setting or something you've installed incorrectly hardware wise.

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by chrisleko

I think he tried to troubleshoot his discs by installing in on the HD from a different machine, yet it still won't work on his new hardware.  Check the bios settings and various jumpers on your drives.  It's most likely a bios setting or something you've installed incorrectly hardware wise.

Correct.  I was troubleshooting the discs by installing on the HD with my current (very old) rig.  I wanted to make sure the problems wasn't the discs or HD.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them when I get home.

• pirateshakepirateshake Member Posts: 43

make sure the data cable on your dvd drive is plugged in properly. Ive had issues before where the cable comes out but the power is still in. So you think its reading but its not. also make sure your using the right x64 or x86 disk. Try diffrent sata ports? maybe one your using on your board is bad?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

It appears the HDD is being read or else you wouldn't be getting an error to repair it.   Its unlikely the disk is a problem, but is it possible the disc drive might be an issue?

Memory clock speed could also be a problem,  but its doubtful honestly.... 

How long have you let it sit before you decide it isn't working?

• XenuriXenuri Member Posts: 1

Hi,

JohnnyMotrin, you can move a HDD from one PC to another by using sysprep. Sysprep will reset the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) heres what you need to do:

1. put the HDD back in the computer where you installed and sucessfully booted windows

2. in command prompt goto c:windowssystem32sysprep

3. type sysprep /generalize

4. when prompted with the sysprep window tick Generalize and select Shutdown as the shutdown option

5. after windows has done its thing and the computer has shutdown move the HDD to your new rig and start, because the HAL has been reset windows will treat the boot as a first time boot and detect ALL new hardware.

good luck :)

Originally posted by maskedweasel

It appears the HDD is being read or else you wouldn't be getting an error to repair it.   Its unlikely the disk is a problem, but is it possible the disc drive might be an issue?

Memory clock speed could also be a problem,  but its doubtful honestly.... 

How long have you let it sit before you decide it isn't working?

I noticed it wasn't working since the first time I tried to install the o/s.

Originally posted by Xenuri

Hi,

JohnnyMotrin, you can move a HDD from one PC to another by using sysprep. Sysprep will reset the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) heres what you need to do:

1. put the HDD back in the computer where you installed and sucessfully booted windows

4. when prompted with the sysprep window tick Generalize and select Shutdown as the shutdown option

5. after windows has done its thing and the computer has shutdown move the HDD to your new rig and start, because the HAL has been reset windows will treat the boot as a first time boot and detect ALL new hardware.

Awesome!  I'll give that a try!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

Originally posted by Xenuri

Hi,

Awesome!  I'll give that a try!

Sysprep will likely do the job,  but if it doesn't for some reason,  I know its going to suck,  but let the installation run -- overnight even, if you have to.  Its likely its not getting stuck, it just might be taking a while.  If that doesn't work or you've let it run an entire night,  we can try installing Windows 7 through a USB drive and see if that helps.

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

In case you bought new memory modules you might want to run a scan on those to make sure they are not faulty. I've ran into some very weird things that ended up being caused by errors in memory modules. I'm using the memcheck option of Linux bootloader (grub) but you can probably find alternatives from the web if you need.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Exactly why I gave up building my own rigs years ago and just purchase them these days.

I'm too old for all this high -tech stuff.

Good luck figuring that all ouy, reminds me of the days of interpreting beep codes which used to come furiously off my motherboards whenever I was dabbling around inside.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Kyleran

Exactly why I gave up building my own rigs years ago and just purchase them these days.

I'm too old for all this high -tech stuff.

Good luck figuring that all ouy, reminds me of the days of interpreting beep codes which used to come furiously off my motherboards whenever I was dabbling around inside.

And without a second computer to search the internet for the answer. Paper still serves a purpose.

A:

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Sounds like bad RAM. Download the iso for memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/

Burn to CD and test your memory. You can try the system out with 1 stick only then the other stick and see if one of them works.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Take one memory module out test if you can install, if not try the other module you took out instead. If none that works or you can't test the memory then make sure you do optimized bios settings and save then try install, maybe you got some kind of storage setting enabled on bios that is causing it. See if AHCI is enabled, sometimes it will not allow install windows if it's enabled on newer hdd's. Disable that and make sure native is on. Also don't have any overclocks or any settings in bios that improve performance on when you do fresh installs, always have the optimized defaults on except for auto check to make sure memory is at it's rated speed if not set correctly. Those are some things I can think of off top my head. Otherwise the last thing I can think of is a bad drive.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

What is a "White Label 750g Sata 300 HD 5400RPM 8MB Buffer" and "Blue Star 650W 20+4-pin w/Blue LED Fan"?  Ecos Consulting is unaware of any power supply company named Blue Star.

• PsycsPsycs Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Quizzical

What is a "White Label 750g Sata 300 HD 5400RPM 8MB Buffer" and "Blue Star 650W 20+4-pin w/Blue LED Fan"?  Ecos Consulting is unaware of any power supply company named Blue Star.

I was getting ready to ask the exact same thing. What on earth is a White Label hard drive? I don't believe thats a brand name of a hard drive.

White label is most likely a WD drive or Maxtor, this company who buys these old outdated drives from WD or Maxtor and they liquidate them for resale to these companies who sell them cheap or put into new pc builds with a cheap couple months warranty or half year. I suspect the drive is bad, it might be a WD drive but still if it's purchased by the company who puts white label on it then you know the drive is old and outdated.

Blue star is a generic PSU usually they come in PC cases you buy that have a free PSU with it, really bad PSU.

Originally posted by Psycs

I was getting ready to ask the exact same thing. What on earth is a White Label hard drive? I don't believe thats a brand name of a hard drive.

It is a brand name HD, basically WD or Maxtor brands are white label, the company that puts the white label on buys them in bulk from WD or Maxtor in liquidation sales. WD and some other HD companies try liquidate sell to these companies their drives that are out dated or no longer warranty protected. So these companies buy them and take off the WD or whoever label and put their own generic on. Most are put into new PC builds for the cheap stuff, like people who can't afford a new PC and buys one off the infomercials who give you a printer screen and all that for monthly payments. Cheap stuff.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

Judging by your description, I think it may be the RAM, or maybe a loose SATA connection.  Try to see if one of your sticks work, or try using sticks from a different PC. 

Make sure you reformat your hard drive before trying to install the OS.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Sounds like a dud or hdd error.