Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Happened? Just returned from vacation

2»

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Zeal77

Exactly. If the original press release or whoever is making the Twitter updates would have said: "Hey guys this is gonna take about 3 weeks to a month." Instead of saying they are working 'round the clock to get the games back up as soon as possible, making it sound like a matter of days. Meanwhile, you got people camping the EQ Facebook page waiting for that daily: not today, when they could be doing something else, or getting started in another game.

Hmm, yesss... I wonder if SOE considered that when they decided on this approach...

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Yeah merely a business decision.  If it was your business, you'd want people to keep coming back and checking.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by Mardy

Originally posted by svann

Its kind of like if you had a front door with no lock and a burglar walked in one day while you were gone, took your tv and left a note saying "Dude, you should get a lock lol".  You can blame the burglar for taking your tv but the fact that you have to wait 5 hours for a locksmith to come out is your own fault.

Not a good analogy, there's nothing that indicates SOE had its doors wide open.  The correct analogy would be SOE had a standard home-style door with the standard locks on them.  But hackers found a way to pick the lock and got in fairly easily.  What people want SOE to do is to install bank-style metal security doors.  To be fair, people have the rights to demand it.  But to say SOE left the doors wide open is wrong.

Whether it was a weak lock or no lock is irrelevant to the analogy.  The burglar did not break the lock, it functions just as well now as it did before the burglary.  The fact that it was weak and needed to be replaced is the owners fault.  The delay is strictly Sony's responsibility.  They should have done this work years ago.  From what Im reading from reuters it seems like they muddled about for weeks even after the incident thinking they could do a quick and dirty fix, until they were informed by a concerned 3rd party that it was still pathetically vulnerable.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/13/us-sony-idUSTRE74C70420110513

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

Originally posted by Mardy

Its kind of like if you had a front door with no lock and a burglar walked in one day while you were gone, took your tv and left a note saying "Dude, you should get a lock lol".  You can blame the burglar for taking your tv but the fact that you have to wait 5 hours for a locksmith to come out is your own fault.

Not a good analogy, there's nothing that indicates SOE had its doors wide open.  The correct analogy would be SOE had a standard home-style door with the standard locks on them.  But hackers found a way to pick the lock and got in fairly easily.  What people want SOE to do is to install bank-style metal security doors.  To be fair, people have the rights to demand it.  But to say SOE left the doors wide open is wrong.

Whether it was a weak lock or no lock is irrelevant to the analogy.  The burglar did not break the lock, it functions just as well now as it did before the burglary.  The fact that it was weak and needed to be replaced is the owners fault.  The delay is strictly Sony's responsibility.  They should have done this work years ago.  From what Im reading from reuters it seems like they muddled about for weeks even after the incident thinking they could do a quick and dirty fix, until they were informed by a concerned 3rd party that it was still pathetically vulnerable.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/13/us-sony-idUSTRE74C70420110513

I lol'd - Sony is so retarded. Granted they have some great products but they are always seemingly missing in major sectors. This time it's security, the biggest of them all. SOE indeed leave the doors wide open.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Personally, I'm not all that worried about credit card info and such as it can be recovered and repaired and I would imagine eventually the perpetrators will be caught and dealt with. What I don't appreciate is the lack of info/ communication from SOE. The only info we have gotten is a daily Twitter saying: not today, not today, not today. I wish they would say: not this week, or not this month instead of stringing us along.

Well, My card got hacked. Now I can't say that it is sonys fault, I do purchase other stuff online, but I have been purchasing from these places for a long while without incident. Even if it was sonys fault, I have had a pretty good run of close to 20 years purchasing stuff on the internet and not getting hacked. I am actually more upset that I can't get into my game lol.

• ManticorpsManticorps Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Personally, I'm not all that worried about credit card info and such as it can be recovered and repaired and I would imagine eventually the perpetrators will be caught and dealt with. What I don't appreciate is the lack of info/ communication from SOE. The only info we have gotten is a daily Twitter saying: not today, not today, not today. I wish they would say: not this week, or not this month instead of stringing us along.

Well, My card got hacked. Now I can't say that it is sonys fault, I do purchase other stuff online, but I have been purchasing from these places for a long while without incident. Even if it was sonys fault, I have had a pretty good run of close to 20 years purchasing stuff on the internet and not getting hacked. I am actually more upset that I can't get into my game lol.

I had a CC # stolen a few months ago with some fraudulent charges. Luckily my card issuers fraud protection caught the fraud early and froze the card. Everything worked out in the end, and didn't cost me anything, other than some inconvience. Talking to the bank, they said the card was at risk everytime you used it. The woman at the bank claimed it was more likely that the CCnumber was obtained locally than online. Not sure how much veracity I would put in that statement, but anytime you use, or hand the card to someone, the card i information is available to them.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by Manticorps

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

I had a CC # stolen a few months ago with some fraudulent charges. Luckily my card issuers fraud protection caught the fraud early and froze the card. Everything worked out in the end, and didn't cost me anything, other than some inconvience. Talking to the bank, they said the card was at risk everytime you used it. The woman at the bank claimed it was more likely that the CCnumber was obtained locally than online. Not sure how much veracity I would put in that statement, but anytime you use, or hand the card to someone, the card i information is available to them.

See I was laughing at that. a couple months ago I bought some MS points on the xbox. The next day I got a call from the fraud department questioning the $75 purchase. Yet, when my card was hacked, almost $1600 worth of purchases was put on it, just over a matter of 4 days. My buying history would not have shown me buying juniors clothes or cosmetics, yet the fraud department just let those purchases through without ever asking. I am now waiting for the paperwork so I can sign it and dispute the charges. Considering that I work from home (meaning I rarely have to go anywhere) and there is only around 4 places locally that I use my card, I am pretty sure that locally is not where it was obtained.

In case you didnt know, you dont even have to pull your card out and it can be compromised. There are scammers out there that can simply get close enough to you and can read your card without it ever leaving your person or you even knowing about it.