Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old EQ vet

2»

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Pawn01

Can someone tell me more about the subscription packages? I own EQ,EQ2, and SWG, I don't think I have any more Sony MMO's if their are any. But I have a friend of mine interested in revisting the old days of EQ1 and I always liked EQ2 also. We would be looking at the time locked servers. How often does an expansion release on those?

Thanks ahead for the info!

Same pricing on all their major games, I think: $14.99 a month, with a progressive discount if you subscribe in 3-month, 6-month, or annual blocks. A lot of people don't trust SOE enough to go longer than one month at a time. There is also the Station Pass, which is only available monthly: costs about the same as two subs, but covers every MMO that SOE has; you still have to buy the games. (Though I think SOE will give you Vanguard if you want to subscribe to it, don't know anything about Planetside.) Station Pass also has some perks, like more character slots in EQ and EQ2 and Gold access on EQ2X.

EQ and EQ2 seem to be running about 1 expansion per year.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Can someone tell me more about the subscription packages? I own EQ,EQ2, and SWG, I don't think I have any more Sony MMO's if their are any. But I have a friend of mine interested in revisting the old days of EQ1 and I always liked EQ2 also. We would be looking at the time locked servers. How often does an expansion release on those?

Timelocked progression servers go by whenever an expansion's objectives have been killed, then a grace period kicks in, then once the grace period is over a vote comes up for everybody on the server above lvl 30 to vote whether they want the next expansion to open or not.  The players get to choose how fast/slow these servers advance.

So for the classic era content we're on right now, people have killed all the raid mobs and completed the objectives for the unlock.  A 90 day grace period kicked in, we were in the middle of that when the whole hack thing happened.  When 90 days is up, for Fippy it'll be in June, for Vulak it'll be about a week or two after that, the vote will come up.  If majority votes "yes" to advance to Kunark, then Kunark will open within a week of voting.  If not, then kunark will not open and another vote will come up in a week.

For expansions after kunark, the grace period will be 60 days instead of 90 days.  So nobody knows how often an expansion will release on the timelocked progression servers.  We just know at what minimum they'll go by.  So for the classic content, it'l be at a minimum of 90 days plus a week for voting.  For Kunark and all expansions after, they'll be at a minimum of 60 days of grace period plus a week of voting.  This isn't counting the time it takes for guilds to defeat expansion raid objectives, and this will vary depending on the expansion of course.

Hope that helps.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• Pawn01Pawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Same pricing on all their major games, I think: $14.99 a month, with a progressive discount if you subscribe in 3-month, 6-month, or annual blocks. A lot of people don't trust SOE enough to go longer than one month at a time. There is also the Station Pass, which is only available monthly: costs about the same as two subs, but covers every MMO that SOE has; you still have to buy the games. (Though I think SOE will give you Vanguard if you want to subscribe to it, don't know anything about Planetside.) Station Pass also has some perks, like more character slots in EQ and EQ2 and Gold access on EQ2X.

Perfect that's exactly what I was looking for on the pricing info! I appreciate it! Also, thank you Mardy, thats pretty much what I was curious about. So in your opinon it would not be too late to start on say, Fippy? And do you guys know, if I already own EQ1 through ... well I am not sure, I have a lot of the exp. but not nearly all. Is there a package that picks up the rest of them or a majority of them? I don't mind rebuying some of them if its cheaper, but obviously with SOE down I am having a hard time finding their pricing. (looking to purchase DLC versions rather than run out and buy a hard copy).

Thank you again for the info guys! I am hoping to find a server that has the same feel to it as Mithaniel Marr did so long ago!

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Perfect that's exactly what I was looking for on the pricing info! I appreciate it! Also, thank you Mardy, thats pretty much what I was curious about. So in your opinon it would not be too late to start on say, Fippy? And do you guys know, if I already own EQ1 through ... well I am not sure, I have a lot of the exp. but not nearly all. Is there a package that picks up the rest of them or a majority of them? I don't mind rebuying some of them if its cheaper, but obviously with SOE down I am having a hard time finding their pricing. (looking to purchase DLC versions rather than run out and buy a hard copy).

Thank you again for the info guys! I am hoping to find a server that has the same feel to it as Mithaniel Marr did so long ago!

To answer your question about progression server expansion releases, they will be voted on every 3 months. Fippy server was the most populated and there has to be a majority vote for the next expansion to come out.

As of before the network went down, Kunark was to be voted on sometime mid May.

Work hard Play Harder

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I like EQ2 better myself, but I might be leaving SOE because of all the recent issues, and the fact I found their support rude anyway even before. I love the EQ-EQ2 community, but SOE support is some of the worst in mmorpgs imo.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Definitely not too late to start on Fippy or Vulak, both servers were populated before the SOE services went down.  It's really too bad, because people have been waiting for timelocked progression servers for many years.  And now we finally have them, and the countdown to Kunark vote was only a month away, and bam SOE got hacked.  So no, it's not too late to start especially since everybody is still between level 1-50, and only have access to classic era zones.  This makes for easier grouping, easier to bump into people, crowded cities, crowded dungeons, etc..  It'll be interesting to see how the servers will be when services go back up.  I do predict people will slowly come back if anything, it's to utilize the free 30-60 days we'll be getting due to this outtage.

As for what expansion pack you need, on the progression servers, you only need the expansion pack that the servers have progressed up to.  So since it's still at classic, all you really need is classic or EQ trilogy to play.  You don't need to buy the latest or have any specific expansions yet.  When Kunark opens, you would of course need to have Kunark flagged on your account.

One thing of note is that Amazon has the latest expansion House of Thule for sale at $19.95.  So if you think about monthly subscription being $14.99 already, you can get a brand new SOE account setup with House of Thule, and get the first 30 day free.  In many ways it's cheaper doing it that way.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

I'm not sure when SOE started doing it, but it's been going since at least Seeds of Destruction in EverQuest, but all EQ and EQ2 expansions are now all-in-one. Buy the latest expansion and you have all previous ones. EQ's latest House of Thule is cheapest as a download from Amazon or D2D; SOE still wants $39.99 at their Station Store.

• ManticorpsManticorps Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by Mardy

Definitely not too late to start on Fippy or Vulak, both servers were populated before the SOE services went down.  It's really too bad, because people have been waiting for timelocked progression servers for many years.  And now we finally have them, and the countdown to Kunark vote was only a month away, and bam SOE got hacked.  So no, it's not too late to start especially since everybody is still between level 1-50, and only have access to classic era zones.  This makes for easier grouping, easier to bump into people, crowded cities, crowded dungeons, etc..  It'll be interesting to see how the servers will be when services go back up.  I do predict people will slowly come back if anything, it's to utilize the free 30-60 days we'll be getting due to this outtage.

As for what expansion pack you need, on the progression servers, you only need the expansion pack that the servers have progressed up to.  So since it's still at classic, all you really need is classic or EQ trilogy to play.  You don't need to buy the latest or have any specific expansions yet.  When Kunark opens, you would of course need to have Kunark flagged on your account.

One thing of note is that Amazon has the latest expansion House of Thule for sale at $19.95.  So if you think about monthly subscription being $14.99 already, you can get a brand new SOE account setup with House of Thule, and get the first 30 day free.  In many ways it's cheaper doing it that way.

I almost resubbed for the new progression server when they went live,  but got side tracked by a shiny, new game that was released at about the same time. I have been searching for a replacement for EQ for years, and nothing has come close. I generally like the SOE games, Everquest, Everquest II and Vanguard far better than anything else out there, mostly due to the people playing them.

I'm strongly considering resubscribing for one of the new Everquest progression servers after they get everything back up. I just hope that I'm not too far behind or there is a large enough population to level up with. From your post, it looks like it might indeed be viable to still start and have a good experience on the progression servers. Hopefully SOE hasn't alienated enough people to kill the servers.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Originally posted by Ladenian

How's the game now-a-days? How is the population holding up?  Have the graphics/game mechanics changed much?

Character models haven't changed. Mob and world graphics gets better for each expansion, so zones that come with newer expansions look better, but old ones are the same.. except for the hated revamp of old world zones.

Basic game mechanics are the same in the big picture, but there are alot of details changed, that does make the game experience different (read dumbed down or easier). Especially the last expansions made eq turn away from its core ideas, with for example mercenaries and silly fast xp'ing etc.

So people went for the new progression servers, which are a good deal like the old everquest.

Don't expect the game to be the same as it was back in year xxxx, the game has changed/evolved and SOE don't run the old code but the current, just with some stuff turned off (zones, gear, quests, npcs, spells, etc).

I can not return to the current everquest, in my opinion the last 5 years SOE have slowly made the game something I don't like ... however, I am playing the progression servers up till the expansions that I think took eq in a wrong direction.

I am not a hater but I am not blind either - In my opinion everquest is still the best mmorpg, but SOE are working hard to change that. Yes I play the progression servers.