Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not to upgrade Graphics in current SWG

MarushaMarusha Member Posts: 20

I just cant udnerstand, why the cant invest and upgrade Graphics and mechanics in this game. I mean this is one of the things that keep me from playing, I just cant watch on poor quality textures and old game mechanics. Its one of the best Snad Box games still, I even dont mind NGE anymore. I am sure if they would invest in it it could proboly leave for another 5 years and even attract new players. I think TOR is over rated, its just another wow clone, and people will understand this with time.

SOE Invest in this game.

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

TOR is very likely overrated and won't appeal to the masses the way we (I) had all hoped...

but...

That changes nothing for SOE though. They've had plenty of time and a multitude of opportunities to invest in SWG...they haven't. Instead, they cut.

What you have is what you'll get - the good, the bad, the ugly. Either accept it or find a new game. They will "tweak" things from time to time, but the days of big expansions or major overhauls has past.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

They actually downgraded the graphics right before the first CU,  they said at the time to many systems could not run the enhanced graphics.   What makes you think they are going to upgrade the graphics now especially when soe is taking a complete nose dive.

Right now they are loosing money hand over fist due to the down time,  they are not about to start spending more.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

With shadows on I've actually found SWG to be one of the best looking MMO's graphically. I really can't see why people think they are so bad :S

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I have to agree..its not all that bad

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by TUX426

TOR is very likely overrated and won't appeal to the masses the way we (I) had all hoped...

but...

It's certainly not looking like my 'cup of tea', but thats a pretty bold statement you are making for a game that is perhaps a year off release still. You think the 'masses' are put off by not having a day/night cycle or the ability to swim? I doubt it.

As to the OP, you really have to ask? It is also questionable as to whether swg is a sandbox mmo at all anymore, aside from the ability to dump countless houses all over dead servers that is.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

but...

It's certainly not looking like my 'cup of tea', but thats a pretty bold statement you are making for a game that is perhaps a year off release still. You think the 'masses' are put off by not having a day/night cycle or the ability to swim? I doubt it.

Don't get me wrong...I'll own it on day 1, but yes...I think the game is overrated with its lack of basic things like day/night and swimming. And while it will likely be a very successful game, we have no idea what type of "end game" stuff there will be aside from the Devs saying "It'll have all the stuff other MMOs do"...which of course made me doubt it will have any of it since there are no specifics. And I'm a 1 toon player. I have no interest in reading books twice, even the choose your own adventure ones, so the plethora of alts I could make hold little appeal to me.

I will remain hopeful about SWTOR, but I won't pretend it doesn't have some glaring issues.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Don't get me wrong...I'll own it on day 1, but yes...I think the game is overrated with its lack of basic things like day/night and swimming. And while it will likely be a very successful game, we have no idea what type of "end game" stuff there will be aside from the Devs saying "It'll have all the stuff other MMOs do"...which of course made me doubt it will have any of it since there are no specifics. And I'm a 1 toon player. I have no interest in reading books twice, even the choose your own adventure ones, so the plethora of alts I could make hold little appeal to me.

I will remain hopeful about SWTOR, but I won't pretend it doesn't have some glaring issues.

It's certainly overhyped (perhaps that's a better word), but then I also feel that it is overly 'bashed' on as well in fairness.

I personally have zero interest in the game and am doubtful as to whether it will really challenge the likes of WoW in the long run in terms of market success (but who knows). That being said I would be suprised if BW didn't have the same kind of endgame we see in the vast majority of most mmos* (raids, instances and er..) so I can't see why the masses would be upset/uninterested.

* Unless an mmo has a complex economy or some form of deep/useful politics/territory control, then for me it is questionable as to whether they have a 'meaningful endgame' at all anyway.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Why are we dogging tor when this is suposed to be a topic about swg graphics?

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Probably not worth the investment for SoE.  Plus you never know how long SWG is going to be around given TOR's arrival in the near future.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Please turn around the derail and keep anything aside from general TOR mentions to TOR threads. Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Probably not worth the investment for SoE.  Plus you never know how long SWG is going to be around given TOR's arrival in the near future.

This.

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110

We did get a significant change in graphics semi-recently as they upped the hard limit of FPS from 30 to 60. With all options on and turned up, the game is fairly pretty, although not as much as it was before they changed the lighting engine and all that.

What SWG needs to continue to compete is a complete re-write, including graphics, but more to eliminate the 3 different versions of code stacked on one another making the current game scale worse than the original implementation did with multiple players in one place at a time. Heck, even on one server (see Starsider's inherit lag that other servers simply do not have...I've tested several times and SS has a 3-5 average second delay on ANY 'special firing'.)

But the odds of this happening are very very very very low. You'll likely be struck by lightning while winning the lottery for the 3rd day in a row before this happens. We can't even get daily updates from SOE on when or if the servers are ever coming back  up, much less rewrites of 7 year old games.

Bottom line is the graphics aren't that bad really if you have a system good enough to pump them out full bore (which still takes WAY more than it should for this old of a game) and we are not going to recieve a rewrite...ever.

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

All depends upon the capabilities of the game engine and SWG came out back in 03.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by erictlewis
    They actually downgraded the graphics right before the first CU,
    ^ this, they changed the character polys and made planets brighter and colors are a bit less saturated. A look in a certain other SWG game shows a noticeable difference.

Of course they would have updated the graphics if it were of SOE's interest but obviously not, City of Heroes received really nice graphics upgrades almost 2 years ago now and it's still a pretty game to look at.