Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In desperate need of a game...

RoakiRoaki Member Posts: 66

I'm hoping someone can tell me a game I've never heard of that will keep me interested for a couple of months, or even longer. Long shot I know. But come on, there has to be an MMO out there that can keep me occuiped. I've tried going back to single player games, but I either complete them too fast or they don't entertain me like an MMO.

I was thinking about trying Vindictus, Atlantica or Mabinogi, becuase they look very different from what I've played before, but maybe they are too different for me to stick with them, I like what I'm already used to.

I was also thinking about trying a sandbox game, but it seems there are no good ones available right now unless I'm mistaken (Mortal Online and Dark Fall aren't my type of game, I don't like FFA PvP looting)

My past MMO experience

World of Warcraft - 6 years - ongoing. It is what it is.

Aion - Played a little at launch, wasn't my cuppa coffee, played again recently, still wasn't.

Age of Conan - Loved Tortage, but I was dissapointed when I left, I felt cheated and instantly removed my sub.

Rift - Enjoyed it for a while, but it was so similar to WoW but not actually better that it led me back to WoW.

DCUO - I liked it, love fast paced combat MMO's even though I don't play many. This may be a contender when Sony brings the servers back up.

Champions Online - Liked it, but then moved to DCUO, which is much better.

Lord of the Rings Online - Liked it so much I subbed, but after about a week I started to get bored, comabt was slow at first and I assumed it would speed up, it never did.

Final Fantasy XIV - Terribad, unplayable and all the rest.

Global Agenda - Good for short bursts of play, I still play this from time to time.

Vanguard - I've tried it a couple of times, but recently even though I liked it I stopped playing, I have a feeling it will shut down soon, I don't want to be around when that happens.

Guild Wars - I just didn't like it, I can see why others do, I just don't. I wish I could be more specific, but I don't even know myself when I didn't like it. I didn't hate it, just wasn't for me.

Warhammer Online - Loved it at launch, left because I was still insanely hooked on WoW, tried again recently and found that I disliked it now, it might be just me, but it feels like a complete different game now.

Most of the above I've tried in the past few months, as WoW has gotten very stale since Cataclysm for me, but also because I've got my heart set on one of the following -

Star Wars the Old Republic

Tera

Blade and Soul

Arche Age

Guild Wars 2 

The Secret World

So, I need a new MMO to fill in the time I'll be waiting until whichever of the above is released first.

Thanks in advance.

I don't mean to sound big headed... But I know Voldemort.

Comments

• PunixPunix Member Posts: 15

join the "waiting" club... we have jackets... seriously theres nothing till one of those comes out... and only then all we can do is hope it doesnt flop.

• RoakiRoaki Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Punix

join the "waiting" club... we have jackets... seriously theres nothing till one of those comes out... and only then all we can do is hope it doesnt flop.

I really hope you're wrong, and that there is something out there to pass the time :'(

But yeah, I really hope at least one of those games succeed! 

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

I think you've hit alot of the top ones. 

EQ2 - like WoW so you won't get to far because you've play WoW for so long

EVE - A top sandbox thats been around for years and will most likely be around for many more years.  Heavy learning curve so if your use to easy then it may be a shock.

VG - Might be the best of the best if not for SOE.

WURM - An indy sandbox were crafting is the name of the game - if you can get past the odd graphics, it'll keep you busy for months.

Originally posted by mastersomrat

I think you've hit alot of the top ones. 

EQ2 - like WoW so you won't get to far because you've play WoW for so long

EVE - A top sandbox thats been around for years and will most likely be around for many more years.  Heavy learning curve so if your use to easy then it may be a shock.

VG - Might be the best of the best if not for SOE.

WURM - An indy sandbox were crafting is the name of the game - if you can get past the odd graphics, it'll keep you busy for months.

Ah, I've tried EVE, VG and Wurm too, didn't like any of them.

But I've been told a few times to try out EQ2, so I think that will be my next stop, I'm just hoping the graphics don't ruin it for me. I've seen them on youtube and they look dated, but most gameplay vid's of any game look crappy on youtube so I'm hoping the graphics are a little better in game and that the gameplay makes up for its shortcomings.

Thanks for the reply!

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Give Mabinogi a shot, it's F2P so you've got nothing to lose. Same goes for Vindictus or Atlantica for that matter. All 3 very different games with very different features, but all F2P. Only issue would be Atlantica's Cash Shop which is fairly important. Vindictus Cash Shop is really not necessary at all, as for Mabinogi you can play for free but it's usually advised to spend about $20-30 at least once in your lifetime just to buy a mount (flying perhaps) or a more combat-oriented pet to fight if you're having trouble finding other players to join you, it makes a whole world of difference.

Or Dungeon Fighter Online, also F2P. Cash Shop is somewhat important but you can buy Avatars from other players using in-game currency so it doesn't quite imbalance the game.

If you like Vindictus, might be worth looking at Dragon Nest which will be entering Closed Beta next month (June). Cash Shop is also not necessary at all.

Pretty much it for now. FireFall and Drakensang might be worth checking out but it will take a while to get those games out.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Give Mabinogi a shot, it's F2P so you've got nothing to lose. Same goes for Vindictus or Atlantica for that matter. All 3 very different games with very different features, but all F2P. Only issue would be Atlantica's Cash Shop which is fairly important. Vindictus Cash Shop is really not necessary at all, as for Mabinogi you can play for free but it's usually advised to spend about $20-30 at least once in your lifetime just to buy a mount (flying perhaps) or a more combat-oriented pet to fight if you're having trouble finding other players to join you, it makes a whole world of difference.

Or Dungeon Fighter Online, also F2P. Cash Shop is somewhat important but you can buy Avatars from other players using in-game currency so it doesn't quite imbalance the game.

If you like Vindictus, might be worth looking at Dragon Nest which will be entering Closed Beta next month (June). Cash Shop is also not necessary at all.

Pretty much it for now. FireFall and Drakensang might be worth checking out but it will take a while to get those games out.

Firefall and Darksang look very interesting, gunna keep an eye on these. 

was looking for the info on the others, was wondering how needed the cash shops were! 

Thanks! :)

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

Graphics..One thing I've noticed is that for whatever reason, we aren't allowed to have a good game with good graphics.  It's either great machanics/featues and dated graphics or the greatest graphics in da world with worthless game features.  I jus don't know why  ;o(

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I gave up on Lotro several times and I finally toughed it out and I now love it. You have so many different things to do to keep you busy. And, Landroval server is a really busy server with good folks there.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I'm in this same predicament myself at the moment, and I have been for a long time. I've also tried pretty much everything you've listed, as well as many others, and I'm still at a loss for anything that really keeps my interest.

As of right now, I'm messing around with FFXI again (it's a solid game with lots of variety, but it's pretty grindy) and I'm also knocking around the idea of messing with AoC again. I sympathize with your thoughts on how the game went downhill after tortage, but if you look at the game in the context of a typical mmo, it holds it''s own very well, imo. My only gripe with the game is that the combat system gets kind of repetitive after awhile, but then again, that's how I feel about most mmo combat systems. Sigh, I can't wait for the day we have a triple A mmo with a real-time, elderscrolls-style combat system. In fairness, there is darkfall and mortal online, but they're full loot pvp, and that's a big turn off for me.

One other game you might check out if you haven't already is Fallen Earth. It's an indie-developed game, so it doesn't receive content as quickly as others, but it's a pretty solid game, all things considered. It's post-apocalyptic and it also uses a hybrid fps-style combat system that's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Honestly, I'd probably still be playing it, but they're going through a transition with the combat system, so I'm waiting for that before I try to fully learn the game and the mechanics. I'm also much more of a fantasy-themed guy, so that's a big reason also. Despite that, It's definitely worth checking out.

EQ2 is a game that I've played on and off for years, but the "wack-a-mole" style combat system (you'll understand what I mean once you start playing) gets boring fast for me. I guess I'm just burned out on the traditional "mash 1-5 repeatedly" combat system. Real-time, reaction-based combat is the way to go as far as I'm concerned, and I can only hope a solid developer tackles it one day.

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

you should have 45 days free for VG... You said you liked it and you want something to occupy a few months of your time... It's very unlikely that VG will close down in that timeframe!

I'd say go back and check it out again - and bring some friends if they're willing. It would be great to see more people in VG. The game deserves it!