Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World PVP?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

still prevalent in WoW?

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

I think it died a couple expansions ago?

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

The last time I played, which was pre-Cata, world pvp was completely and utterly dead.

<3

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

let me rephrase... does ganking still happen?

Currently playing:

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Originally posted by raystantz

Yes. There are few spots for farming whatever it is you need at 85, and here you will be ganked.

Leveling up thru new cata zones, not so much because of all the phasing.

Leveling up thru old zones, you will sometimes get ganked by high levels, but mostly the world is empty.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

that sucks. I was thinking of giving it another go with some friends of mine.. but I'd want to do a good bit of pvp.

Currently playing:

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

World PVP before Cataclysm:
    Bunch of level 80 Horde and level 80 Alliance would have a good ole gang bang at Goldshire.

World PVP after Cataclysm:
    Bunch of level 85 Horde and level 85 Alliance hover in the air on their flying mounts, waiting to gank who ever drops on the ground first.

World PVP overall:
    It's dead Jim.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

no one even bothers taking over  the town in hala basin any more  i remember that being packed all time   most people miss that place out now the rewards have  become useless

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Originally posted by ormstunga

Originally posted by raystantz

Yes. There are few spots for farming whatever it is you need at 85, and here you will be ganked.

Leveling up thru new cata zones, not so much because of all the phasing.

Leveling up thru old zones, you will sometimes get ganked by high levels, but mostly the world is empty.

That reply is neither helpful nor indicative of what the game has to offer in terms of world PvP.  

Questing is still the most effective way of levelling up.  You cannot quest on a PvP server without engaging in PvP combat, it is simply unavoidable because half the players on the realm are your enemy and almost all of them will attack you.  Much of the time it will not be fair, you will be outnumbered or outlevelled and you will lose time running back to your corpse while the enemy happily corpse camp you.

It may not be your cup of tea, but this is exactly what is happening on all PvP servers right now.  People tend to get bored of corpse camping very quickly, so it isn't really an issue.  Of course, you have equal opportunity to be as evil and outnumber your opposing faction or use whatever sinister advantage you like.  World PvP is unfair and dirty.  Battleground PvP is the fair version and also on demand - the very nature of World PvP means you will often not have combat when you are actually prepared for it.  So you have a nice option; fair or unfair.  

Phasing is not an issue.  It only affects the very very low newbie levels or a handful of quests.  You will spend about 0.0001% of your time in WoW phased.  Don't fear the name, in practise it just means you can see the world around you change at important junctures in the story.  Most phasing - what little there actually is - is NPC phasing, which does not affect PvP.

At 85 Open World PvP (provided you are playing on a PvP server) happens continuously and most often around Tol Barad Isle, where the Tol Barad dailies are.   There are no objectives, but if you want objective based PvP simply join the Tol Barad battleground queue (which is same-realm open world, but with population restrictions for fairness).

There is a lot of enjoyment to be had fighting random people levelling up, sometimes you're against the odds, sometimes you're not.  The main criticism is that there is no real objective to killing another player - but strangely, it happens all the time.  Most probably because it's fun to play, to try and kill other players.  

It is what it is.  And WoW has never, ever been 'empty'.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Only open world pvp I ever saw in WoW since Vanilla and pre battle grounds is higher levels ganking lowbies. No real pvp though.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by AzurePrower

World PVP before Cataclysm:

Bunch of level 80 Horde and level 80 Alliance would have a good ole gang bang at Goldshire.

World PVP after Cataclysm:

Bunch of level 85 Horde and level 85 Alliance hover in the air on their flying mounts, waiting to gank who ever drops on the ground first.

World PVP overall:

It's dead Jim.

I will vouch for that.

I was bored the other night and flew to Goldshire to mess with some noobs.  I wasnt going to kill anyone, just fly around on my dragon.  Damn guards hit me for huge amounts and knocked me off my dragon.  WTF

Actually, I believe one maybe two hits and boom, I was on the ground me chased by every alliance you could think of.

Oh well