Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's all about having fun, mannnn!!

fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

We don't want MMOs to be our second life or an alternative to real life, mannnnnnnnnn. MMOs = games => fun => end of story!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Comments

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

MMORPGs aren't just games, they are virtual worlds.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Nope, it is your opinion that MMOs should be virtual worlds :D

Why shouldn't MMOs give instant gratification??  Strategies, FPS shooters etc. don't have phat lootz and levelz. So I can't play those!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

Originally posted by fivoroth

We don't want MMOs to be our second life or an alternative to real life, mannnnnnnnnn. MMOs = games => fun => end of story!

If you are in-character (Satire). I approve of this sarcastic post!

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Recant

So what ?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

What is wrong with the OP's post?

I mean, let's face it, why do we play MMORPG's or any games for that matter? Because of the fun they provide for us, we enjoy them.

What is fun is different for everyone of us, depends on our tastes and preferences.

One player has fun playing in Second Life, an ultimate virtual vorld and hardly a game environment, another player is bored to tears by it.

One player has fun playing a sandbox MMO, another player find it boring and work and not fun at all.

One player has fun playing a themepark MMO, another player finds it a mindnumbing meaningless grind and not fun to him.

In the end, it's all about how much fun an MMO is when we play it, and what does it for us, and what can get us that MMO fix is different from one person to the next. If someone had a great evening when playing an MMORPG, whether that's a themepark or sandbox MMO, then that MMO has done the job for him.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

I think virtual worlds ARE fun. Simulations ARE a style of game.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Nope it is still a game which you play in a virtual world. But some people fail to distinguish between real life and virtual life.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Posted this before but here we go again:

Fun isn't the only reason to play games.

There's a large score of other emotions to be experienced through games.

For example people may like feeling confused, lost and having various problems like you have in various 'hardcore' sandbox MMOs.

Just look at brilliantly received games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. That game isn't about fun, it's about fear. I couldn't play it a lot, will have to do some day. Probably on a summer day when the sun is full out and I can sit on my balcony with my laptop. Didn't have a single moment of fun playing that game. All my moments were way too filled with fear. Yet I absolutely think it's an effing brilliant game.

Or look at books and movies. You've got your books and movies that are fun to watch and read. You've also got your books and movies that are engaging. The boy in striped pyjamas is in no way or form a 'fun' movie. But it's without a doubt one of the most engaging movies I've seen.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Originally posted by gobla

There's a large score of other emotions to be experienced through games....

I think those other emotions during a game are still fun. When we are afraid, when we are excited, when we feel challenged, and when we've achieved something in the game we are having fun. If we're not having fun any more we're likely to quit.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Vrika

There's a large score of other emotions to be experienced through games....

I think those other emotions during a game are still fun. When we are afraid, when we are excited, when we feel challenged, and when we've achieved something in the game we are having fun. If we're not having fun any more we're likely to quit.

I wouldn't really call all that fun. Have you ever watched "The boy in striped pyjamas"? Or any other serious movie focussed on sadness and death. No happy endings. I wouldn't call that fun in any way or form. Still well worth my time.

I believe games can do the same. Try this game. I wouldn't call it fun, but still well worth your time.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Not anymore.

And the last G stands for GAME. It is digital entertainment, no more and no less.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Aganazer

I think virtual worlds ARE fun. Simulations ARE a style of game.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'd tend to agree.  And todays mmorpg's are more akin to a single-player lobby-system RPG.  lol.  Why are many of you paying $15/month for a single-player linear RPG?  Maybe becuase some find it fun while other would rather be water-boarded.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Posted this before but here we go again:

look at brilliantly received games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. That game isn't about fun, it's about fear.

Fear  = adrenaline= rush= fun

Amnesia is an amazing game btw :)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

The only thing you stated that is true is that what ever game people play it should be fun for them, the rest about a second life, alternative life is just excepting that different people might have different taste and some people might find it fun for this genre to be a sort of second life, but you need to understand that this is meant in a gamers way, unlike some narrowminded people might asume people really want it to be a second life.(commenly speaking of course)

MMORPG "can" be a game genre that molds many aspects of other game genre's and  go's beyond what is offered in other genre's of gaming.

But in the end everyone wants a fun experiance out of their game-experiance.

Oh you want lvl's and phatt-lootz, plenty of games outside the MMORPG genre that offer that.

If you would have stated you enjoy the company of the whole community aspect of a MMORPG then it would be another story.