Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old EQ vet

LadenianLadenian Member Posts: 10

How's the game now-a-days? How is the population holding up?  Have the graphics/game mechanics changed much?

Thanks in advance.

Ladenian Cleric <Realm of Insanity> Stromm Server (EQ)-Retired
Goober Paladin <Blades of Wrath> Icecrown Server (WoW) Retired

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Servers down indefinitely. 

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

They had more server merges some months ago so the populations are decent, just top heavy.  But the progression servers are bustling and lots of lower level players there if you prefer the old days of playing with few gear upgrade options and no bazaar.  Those opened up fairly recently so still a good time to get started there (whenever SOE reopens for business).

Graphics haven't changed much except for some revamps to certain zones.  As far as game mechanics, players can now hire mercenaries to tank, heal or dps.  They are free up until level 10.  That combined with the new defiant armor that can drop off of any mob makes many zones more friendly for solo or duo play.   There is also a new dragon race and leveling area that offers the quest method of leveling for those that don't want to kill their way through levels.  Also, AA's will speed by much more quickly than years ago, at least early on.

• LadenianLadenian Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by svann

Yes, I'm aware of the servers being down.  That being said, they won't be down forever.

Originally posted by Cherise

They had more server merges some months ago so the populations are decent, just top heavy.  But the progression servers are bustling and lots of lower level players there if you prefer the old days of playing with few gear upgrade options and no bazaar.  Those opened up fairly recently so still a good time to get started there (whenever SOE reopens for business).

Graphics haven't changed much except for some revamps to certain zones.  As far as game mechanics, players can now hire mercenaries to tank, heal or dps.  They are free up until level 10.  That combined with the new defiant armor that can drop off of any mob makes many zones more friendly for solo or duo play.   There is also a new dragon race and leveling area that offers the quest method of leveling for those that don't want to kill their way through levels.  Also, AA's will speed by much more quickly than years ago, at least early on.

Doesn't sound too bad.  I just hate the feeling with new mmo's, where the world doesn't feel like a world anymore.  It's hard to explain, but the only game that felt like a world was eq.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Depends on when you've played the game last, but zone graphics, enviornmental graphics, NPC graphics, weapon/shields, and spell graphics have been upgraded & updated in the later expansions.  They for the most part left old zones as they are, but new expansions from the past 3 expansions have all had upgraded zone graphics in the expansion zones.  The new Feerrott for an example, from the latest House of Thule expansion, looks really good and eerie.  The revamped Blackburrow included as part of SoD's instanced zone also looks very good, along with the new gnoll skins.  I'm just listing some examples of cool revamps of old zones in the newer expansions.

I think the best part is they've left the old zones as they are, but simply revamped those zones and made them a part of the expansion, so they don't interfer with the original zones.  So the old school blackburrow and feerrott are all still available ingame.

NPC's from newer expansions are very nice.  I just wish they would take on the new character models revamp, it's overdue.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Thanks for all the replies.  As soon as the servers come back up, I'll resub (and buy the $20.00 all-in-one.)  Can anyone suggest a decent server?

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Ladenian

Yes, I'm aware of the servers being down.  That being said, they won't be down forever.

It honestly would be nice if they were down for good.

The new progression server is the best option if you really want to try and rejoin a game this old. You are to far behind on other servers.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Thanks for all the replies.  As soon as the servers come back up, I'll resub (and buy the $20.00 all-in-one.)  Can anyone suggest a decent server?

Depends on the type of experience you're seeking.  If you want to relive the old days without the mercs, new armor, and other recent additions,, but with lots of players around, I'd go to Fippy Darkpaw.  At the moment it's just original EQ without any of the expansions.

If you'd like to check out the new stuff, then I think they're all about the same.  While everyone on the server is higher level, I'm still enjoying myself.  So don't let that discourage you.  Click on the guild tab in game and you'll see if there are any guilds recruiting that are friendly to new players.  If you have some existing characters, I'd check out that server.  And don't forget to download the in-game maps from mapfiend.

I'll throw in my support for the timelocked progression servers, both are still fairly populated, with Fippy being the most populated.  It's really the only way to re-experience the good 'ol days without the feeling of being left behind.  Currently the servers are still in the classic era, so that means everybody is still between level 1-50.  No bazaar to afk in, no guild lobby to afk in.  There's a good "active" playing population on the timelocked progression servers.  It's a great way to move along with people once again, and not feel being left behind logging into a regular server watching majority of the people being level 85+.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

I wish I can play right now. Subscribed the day before they shut the servers down due to the hacking issues.

Originally posted by sebbonx

Wow, what kind of comment is this? If you hate the game that much, why are you on the forums?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

dude?!?! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Im not suggesting they will be down for good, but at this point they will need to show their shareholders some form of proof that they are protected from this happening again.  Just saying they got it covered is not sufficient.  They will not be permitted to bring servers up until shareholders are confident that they are not liable for huge monetary damages.  And if they want insurance then they have to show proof to the insurance company that they are a good risk.  A simple patch wont do it.  Nor would arresting the scapegoats errr.. perps.

• Oh noes I smell a conspiracy brewing!  Dawn your tin foil hats!

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Hey there , new to this forum (EQ Forums that is) and wanted to know about the game a little bit, currently taking a break from EVE not really playing anything else, Rift didn't do it for me, Darkfall became Magefall, Earthrise fell into the cracks, Mortal Online was unplayable, Star Trek Online was too easy, what can EQ I or EQ II offer me that other MMOs dont, I've heard the praise for this game and its sucessor just wanted to know some info, since the main site is down maybe you can all help me out, as a former vet of SWG is there sandboxy type stuff to do? Housing, non-combat activites, minigames?, Stuff to do sides combat and raids?

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by firefly2003

Hey there , new to this forum (EQ Forums that is) and wanted to know about the game a little bit, currently taking a break from EVE not really playing anything else, Rift didn't do it for me, Darkfall became Magefall, Earthrise fell into the cracks, Mortal Online was unplayable, Star Trek Online was too easy, what can EQ I or EQ II offer me that other MMOs dont, I've heard the praise for this game and its sucessor just wanted to know some info, since the main site is down maybe you can all help me out, as a former vet of SWG is there sandboxy type stuff to do? Housing, non-combat activites, minigames?, Stuff to do sides combat and raids?

In EQ2 you can rent apartments in various friendly cities, the more you pay the the bigger in size and number of rooms. Some early quests give you furnishings (tables, weapon stands, rugs, wall hangings). Tradeskills can also make furniture. There are also guild halls, often decorated quite elaborately.

EQ1 also has housing, but it seems closer to the DAoC setup: instanced housing areas where you can buy plots of land and put a house on them. There is also tradeskilling in EQ1, though it is somewhat harder to make progress than in EQ2.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

I stated years ago that Sony had incompetent hacks working there. They can't update Everquests graphics fully because the thing is a cobbled together mess. What competent company does that?

I played a Warrior, or as I call them a "Wimpior" made that way by an incompetent company. (Blizzard fixed them and now they can solo with the best, AS IT SHOULD BE)

Yes, and they continued the farce of stating "but Warriors get to main tank". YEAY, YOU HAVE LIKE 6 HAPPY WARRIORS ON ANY ONE SERVER! Oh and they can stick the mercs......

At least they have fewer servers now to deal with, they deserve it.

DIE SOE JUST DIE ALREADY!

BTW, I got a great laugh with the comments on this site about how Vangaurd was a "WoW" killer prior to that turds release. Some here actually celebrated Sony buying that turd. Most of us knew to avoid anything with SOE attached to it, and knew Vantard was a piece of trash of EQ1s ilk and not a quality product like WoW.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

DOWN FOR GOOD!

I stated years ago that Sony had incompetant hacks working there. They can't update Everquests graphics fully because the thing is a cobbled together mess. What competant company does that?

I played a Warrior , or as I call them a "Wimpior" made that way by an incompetant company. (Blizzard fixed them and now they can solo with the best, AS IT SHOULD BE)

Yes, and they continued the farce of stating "but Warriors get to main tank". YEAY, YOU HAVE LIKE 6 HAPPY WARRIORS ON ANY ONE SERVER! Oh and they  can stick the mercs......

At least they have less servers now to deal with, they deserve it.

BTW, I got a great laugh with the comments on this site about how Vangaurd was a "WoW" killer prior to that turds release. Some here actually celebrated Sony buying that turd. Most of us knew to avoid anything with SOE attached to it, and knew Vantard was a piece of trash of EQ1s ilk and not a quality product like WoW.

You lost all credibility with this post.

DOWN FOR GOOD!

I stated years ago that Sony had incompetant hacks working there. They can't update Everquests graphics fully because the thing is a cobbled together mess. What competant company does that?

I played a Warrior , or as I call them a "Wimpior" made that way by an incompetant company. (Blizzard fixed them and now they can solo with the best, AS IT SHOULD BE)

Yes, and they continued the farce of stating "but Warriors get to main tank". YEAY, YOU HAVE LIKE 6 HAPPY WARRIORS ON ANY ONE SERVER! Oh and they  can stick the mercs......

At least they have less servers now to deal with, they deserve it.

Not all youngsters are juvenile, but this post is.

Don't worry about that guy, he comes here every once in awhile to rant about warriors.  Heck the first thing he posted in another forum category when SOE took the services down was something about the warriors.  Just ignore him and definitely ignore any advice he gives, warriors are a good class both in the group game and raid game.

I've decided to start playing again (when the severs come back up.)  Anyone have a decent guild or server they belong to, that may want an old EQ vet?

Are you looking to join regular servers or a timelocked progression server?

• Pawn01Pawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Can someone tell me more about the subscription packages? I own EQ,EQ2, and SWG, I don't think I have any more Sony MMO's if their are any. But I have a friend of mine interested in revisting the old days of EQ1 and I always liked EQ2 also. We would be looking at the time locked servers. How often does an expansion release on those?

Thanks ahead for the info!

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Pawn01

Can someone tell me more about the subscription packages? I own EQ,EQ2, and SWG, I don't think I have any more Sony MMO's if their are any. But I have a friend of mine interested in revisting the old days of EQ1 and I always liked EQ2 also. We would be looking at the time locked servers. How often does an expansion release on those?

Thanks ahead for the info!

Should of just made a new thread instead of hijacking one. Why not just wait to find out this info when the servers come back online and the main site, hopefully no later then the end of this month. I don't keep a subscription plans in the back of my pocket to give you the details sorry.

• Pawn01Pawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Thank you for your reply!

Does anyone have any helpful information?