Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

did the game finally die?

joojoo1975joojoo1975 Member UncommonPosts: 275

trolling the LFGame forums and someone said that RoE finally bit it?

try to go to the main site and my PCcillin stops it and labels it a virus security threat.  so. . .

has the game finally bit the dust?

I'm tryin not to be biased here, just want to know if the game finally died(and no i shall not gloat, death is never a gloating matter)

To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless

Comments

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

This is what I get when I go to their website...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rubies of Eventide is offline until further notice. There have been many questions as to why we decided to shut the service down and what the on-going status of the game is. We thank all the staff and players who participated in RoE over the years, so the following items should be taken at face value.

* Personal Attacks: The owners and management of Rubies have no intention of supporting a game where they are attacked on an on-going basis by various groups. It's one thing to support a game, both financially and emotionally, when you feel as though you are doing something good for the player base; however when morale is brought to such a low level by continued libel and slander there is no incentive to continue.

* Financial Concerns: We appreciate all of the donations we received, but it's not enough for the game to be self-sustaining and without any real personal incentives to make further investments we have decided that the game should go offline. All gentry patrons have been refunded a prorated amount. There is an on-going notion that some players are entitled to have us (including volunteers) subsidize their entertainment for the privilage of having them play. This will never happen as long as there is a continued campaign against the management. Rubies of Eventide was never meant to be a money-making endeavor in the last few years and we are no longer willing to fund this project in this current environment.

* Ability to Police: There are a number of people we just don't want playing the game and it's too difficult to police the game to make sure they don't have access. Once we ban someone, they don't have enough respect for their fellow players to stay banned. Constantly policing the server for these players has become too much of a burden for us to wish to continue.

* Hacking: There has been on-going hacking at the web server and game level. Materials from this website, the game servers, as well as chat logs from other related websites have been passed on the FBI and hopefully this investigation will conclude by bringing the hacker(s) to justice.

In the end, none of these issues effect the owners or management. It's the players who are truley victims and for that we are sorry that a small percentage of bad players and bitter former volunteers needed to ruin the game for everyone who enjoyed it. Maybe, in the end, they cared more about their personal interest in the game then the player community.

Will you be selling the game?

If there is serious interest from a company we feel can sustain the game, yes, we will consider a sale. We have no interest in selling the game to any current or former member(s) of the community at any price. This is a personal decision and we simply will not entertain it.

Can I run my own personal server?

No. There will be no personal server licensing offered. If a personal server is found we will notify your internet service provider and have your access removed in addition to possibly pursuing all applicable legal penalties.

Thank you to all the staff and players. We hope you will understand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just FYI from what I gather that message was posted in August and the game has been shut down since then...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

They should take it off the MMORPG game list then...

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• itstaritstar Member Posts: 1

I played RoE back around 04-05 area, game was fun.  Me and a few guildies from another game started up on it and had some good rp'ing.  The crafting system was great, but difficult, like it should have been.  I recently tried to check up on the game to see if any new content had been added, unfortunately it was taken down.  

Best of luck RoE staff, thanks for the enjoyment.

• aislinnskyeaislinnskye Member Posts: 1

Just tried going to the official website and it says the domain is expired. Guess it is dead.

• loudermploudermp Member Posts: 20

Maybe, tried playing it once and if I remember correctly I did not like the character movement because you could not look with the right mouse button while following your character movement, it used wasd keys and/or arrow keys.

It must be true, I read it on the internet!
    PDL

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Game is dead now. Was good while it lasted.

This is my EQ, my UO, my old school, my nostalgia.

I'll remember it with the fondest of memories.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• bosmer24bosmer24 Member UncommonPosts: 116

The more i read about this game the more i wish i had played it.I thought there was some fan based project that was inspired by Rubies of Eventide?

It just seems pety to me to not allow private server to host the game after it's official "death",when there is no interest by them to bring it back.I don't know why,but if i created a game i'd want it to live on for the fans.I know there's some reasons to not allow private servers,but their denying the fans.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why they wouldn't allow the fans to start their own Rubies of Eventide server?Thankyou

• ElronirElronir Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by bosmer24

The more i read about this game the more i wish i had played it.I thought there was some fan based project that was inspired by Rubies of Eventide?

It just seems pety to me to not allow private server to host the game after it's official "death",when there is no interest by them to bring it back.I don't know why,but if i created a game i'd want it to live on for the fans.I know there's some reasons to not allow private servers,but their denying the fans.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why they wouldn't allow the fans to start their own Rubies of Eventide server?Thankyou

Giving the game for free mean you also have to give everything (the game engine, the server coding, the software, etc). Plus you take the risk someone will take your game to build their own games on it (the engine and the server coding easely take 1 year of work for programmers) and make profit of your works.

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

There wasn't any content in this game, ever. It "was" an interesting game, until one discovered that all the things they were talking about were never implemented.

• Scagweed666Scagweed666 Member Posts: 8

that was the best durn game, you could say whatever you want in world chat and nothing would happen, laughed so hard I got a headache several times playing that game lmao

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

I had some fun with this, oddly enough - very long ago.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Oh please i played this crap when it first started. I got ban becouse  i was not liked by a guild that knew the GM.

So ya they killed there own game really to  be honest. 

• AthlAthl Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 159

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity.

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

"* Personal Attacks: The owners and management of Rubies have no intention of supporting a game where they are attacked on an on-going basis by various groups. It's one thing to support a game, both financially and emotionally, when you feel as though you are doing something good for the player base; however when morale is brought to such a low level by continued libel and slander there is no incentive to continue."

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG this is too good.

It's almost as if the owners and management (probably a single person, lmao) want us to laugh at them and get a good giggle out of their failure, not only as a game developer, but as a...roflmao....respectable human being.

Is there truly no professionalism for indie developers anymore?

Originally posted by Elronir
    Originally posted by bosmer24

Giving the game for free mean you also have to give everything (the game engine, the server coding, the software, etc). Plus you take the risk someone will take your game to build their own games on it (the engine and the server coding easely take 1 year of work for programmers) and make profit of your works.

Just to let everyone know: no one would want or would ever use this engine for any reason.

No one wants to steal it. No one ever would.

Finally, the FBI hacking thing is just hilarious. This game is so tiny and so insignificant, the FBI will just fart on his papers and toss them into the trash. Not only is the FBI overwhelmed with cyber crime, they won't even look at your case if it's not at least in the tens of thousands of dollars stolen. This is not only far far away from theft (it's nothing, honestly) but even if they were not overwhelmed I severely doubt they would look at it.

The owner probably doesn't realize how insignificant his drama is to the FBI.

Just for fun, before it died, they didn't that despite RoE being modest, they should embrace a soda that supports tentacle rape anime.

"Mnemosyne branched out a little by producing a lolcats card game and a soda that is infamous for its embrace of anime rape (Tentacle Grape). Guess the modesty of the game had to be overcome somehow, eh?"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/09/the-game-archaeologist-rubies-of-eventide/