Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 - SOE - Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

elminseselminses Member UncommonPosts: 59

So I remember reading about them laying of 200+ emplyees recently. Everyone has been talking about how these hacks took advantage of a KNOWN security loop hole. So my question is:

Anyone think that a disgruntle employee used the known security loop hole to A. Get back at SOE for firing him? or B. to make up for the loss of monetary compenastion he is recieving by standing in the unemployment line. and even C. Use it as a tactic to get your job back. He/She gets fired, big security issues comes up, and in rides the white knight to save the day?

Obvious this would take a good amount of planning but they are all ideas i've been bonucing around my head. Any thoughts as I'm extrememly bored with no EQ2 to play!

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

This would be very unlikely, as the keys are changed once someone who has access to any security inside is fired or laid off and any employee in this industry knows your job is not guaranteed to be there forever. People get fired all the time, does a bank employee who got fired come back to rob the bank? It all probably has been looked into anyway just incase by the FBI by now.

Still I think it would be a far fetched idea that SOE would fire lay off numerous people who had access to security inside and not change their keys and setups, it's common practice even for SOE.

The security flaw could of been sold to an outside source or hackers, that would be a more realistic thought for a fired employee from SOE. Less risk and upfront money.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

thoughts at Wired

PlayStation Network Hack: Who Did It?

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/04/playstation_hack/

• StuntieStuntie Member UncommonPosts: 17

Lots of staff recently laid off - possible rage motive. Possible inside info as well to help get in.

Anoymous - possible that not all were there just for the DDOS. Lets face it not every menber of a collective would stop at just kicking the door down...

Proffesional hit - most likely as it is more their style and motivations.

But what better time to break in when the alarms are going off from a DDOS. So even if Anonymous did not do the deed as a collective their digital vandalism was most likely used as cover by the real crooks.

Could well be criminal pro's that did the hack, but don't be surprised if they got vital intel from a laid off insider, and knew of the DDOS attack timing they could use as a diversion.

Cheers
    Stuntie.