Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gathering Skill, New Interactables Coming with Dawn Expansion

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

SV has given a little more information on another new skill, Gathering, that will be added with the Dawn expansion to Mortal Online.  Also, a great deal more pickable items are planned to be placed throughout the world, along with more vegetation:

Old Today, 07:11

CEO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artorius View Post

Awesome, does that include people and mobs?

Because we are adding tons of new interactables over the entire world, we are allways careful about performance. We have created a new system that track different draw distances. For instance, players and houses will have a longer range, pickables and similar things will have a bit lower range because there are so many of them spread out in the world with Dawn we need to keep performande by having different draw distance on these things. Our goal is that any player can interact, search on anything in the world. There will be tons of different things to search/pick/gather and loot. Gathering is a new skill btw that works similar as mining and lumberjacking. The jungle area is getting a face lift and we are working on performance there as well, the entire world is getting it's waited vegitation etc.

Henrik Nystrom is offline Report Post

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/61342-dawn-discussion-mega-thread-6.html#post1139576

There's also mention of the changes to some of the draw distances in the game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

After some questions on how Gathering is going to work, Mats Persson has provided some clarity in answering this question:

Today, 19:06

Developer

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathshroud View Post

picking up a flower sghould not use the gathering skill, picking up a boulder shouldnt either, picking up a beehive however should not be possible afterall you would get stung. But picking out the honey/beeswax from a beehive should use the gathering skill and extracting the pollen and petals from a flower you have picked up should use the gathering skill. I hope you people understand what im trying to say? cause sometimes alot of you seem a little dense. but jsut incase heres a list of examples..

pick up a rock- gathering skill NO

pick up a red flower- gathering skill NO

extract petals/pollen from a red flower- gathering skill YES

pick up a clam- Gathering skill NO

extract a clam from its shell and maybe pearl- Gathering Skill YES

pick up a red frog- Gathering Skill NO

extract red poison from red frog- Gathering skill YES

pick up a crab - Gathering Skill YES (otherwise it will pinch you )

pick up honey/beeswax from a beehive- Gathering Skill YES

pick up red berries- Gathering skill NO

However at no point does the player recieve specific information about what hes picking up, he sees a red fruit and its called a red fruit, he would need certain knowledge in plants to gain a better description of what the fruit is actually called.

Amen, and that is how it works.

Henrik said skill, however although "Gather" is technically a skill (it's located in the skill window) it will be presented as an "Action". Which means that it isn't a "skill" (not even a secondary skill) as everyone can do it, and you cannot get better at it. For instance "Sleep" will also be an Action. ("Sit In Chair" would have been an Action, although instead it is activated by pressing "R").

However most gathered items will require skill to use, and many can be further processed (extracted from), which will require skills and/or tools.

GK isn't some nice calm peaceful place to just sit around and extract stuff all day. We don't load characters up with carcass and rocks to the brim to where you have to push them around to the tables to work.

- Anticules

Mortal Online is a placeholder for Mortal Online. -SV

- Airfell

Is it the sparkling, canned dialog supplied by the NPC when you click on the little talk icon that makes it so interesting?

-Archaaz

Mats Persson is offline Report Post

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/61342-dawn-discussion-mega-thread-8.html#post1142202

I think this will be very good news to many players.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Yes, the Dawn expansion is going to be revolutionary.

Originally posted by twodayslate

I wouldn't use the word revolutionary, but I do think it'll be a very good and welcome addition to the game.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Rohn

I wouldn't use the word revolutionary, but I do think it'll be a very good and welcome addition to the game.

Lord Henrik the CEO has used these words:  It's gonna change the view on mounts in a mmo, forever! and I dont think im exaggerating here, you will see..

I for one, am quite excited by the promise of revolutionary changes to mmos!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Originally posted by Rohn

Lord Henrik the CEO has used these words:  It's gonna change the view on mounts in a mmo, forever! and I dont think im exaggerating here, you will see..

I for one, am quite excited by the promise of revolutionary changes to mmos!

I was referring primarily to Gathering in the game, as that is the subject of this thread.

In general, I think Dawn will also bring some welcome additions to the game.

"Revolutionary" is your word, and is a word being used to build false expectations.

Mats added some additional information regarding the skills today - it seems there are going to be quite a few added:

Old Today, 12:21

Developer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindas View Post

But since he's loose imma go ahead and ask what type of skills we will need to use pickable items? Are there very many, or just one "processing" skill used for all of it? And i'm guessing this is closely related to alchemy..?

One skill?

New material skills includes the various types of meat (Flesh Lore and subskills), Botany skills (Agrostology, Carpology, Herbology etc), and Alchemical Dissolvents (Nitre, Fuming Salt etc).

Extraction skills include Milling and Herbalism. New workbenches and skills are Press and Herbologium.

Studying skills are Alchemy with some subskills (although the actual Potion Crafting (aka "Alchemy") will be introduced later), as well as Zoology with a major part of the large cladistic tree.

And crafting skills are of course Cooking (Sec) and Advanced Cooking (Pri).

More details later

GK isn't some nice calm peaceful place to just sit around and extract stuff all day. We don't load characters up with carcass and rocks to the brim to where you have to push them around to the tables to work.

- Anticules

Mortal Online is a placeholder for Mortal Online. -SV

- Airfell

Is it the sparkling, canned dialog supplied by the NPC when you click on the little talk icon that makes it so interesting?

-Archaaz

Mats Persson is offline Report Post

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/61342-dawn-discussion-mega-thread-8.html#post1143040