Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit of clarification on WvWvW | ANet Interview by Variance

Comments

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Have to say this looks quite awesome I keep waiting to hear something I don't like about this game. Other then the no healer thing (I have always played healer since i picked up an MMO!) I have yet to be disapointed. GW PvP was something special quick to get into, hard to master. The large scale sieges seem similar to L2 or Aion, though hope for a good amount of Anet influence here. I look forward to seeing how the server/faction balance workds out, since I have seen balance fail in many games when it comes to large scale PvP. Even if its just down the number of players on each side,

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I just recently saw a game called Sanctum the other day. This game is basically a tower defense game that brings a different perspective to the genre, literally. You set the tower defenses from a first person perspective and you actually roam arround while the enemies are trying to infiltrate. It looks interesting and fresh for that genre.

I see Anet has the potential to give us a fresh perspective on pvp for mmos with WvWvW. Basically bringin some RTS elments to the pvp aspects of MMO's. I know Im reading far beyond the lines here but still, its easy for them to establish resource gathering, a "commander", trading and many other things to construct a really unique pvp experience. They have a solid idea where they can expand a lot.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Kuppa

I just recently saw a game called Sanctum the other day. This game is basically a tower defense game that brings a different perspective to the genre, literally. You set the tower defenses from a first person perspective and you actually roam arround while the enemies are trying to infiltrate. It looks interesting and fresh for that genre.

I see Anet has the potential to give us a fresh perspective on pvp for mmos with WvWvW. Basically bringin some RTS elments to the pvp aspects of MMO's. I know Im reading far beyond the lines here but still, its easy for them to establish resource gathering, a "commander", trading and many other things to construct a really unique pvp experience. They have a solid idea where they can expand a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos#p/search/0/K2ObESxQbPY

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos#p/search/2/cX9WcFqNW50

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by gobla

Originally posted by lectrocuda

Originally posted by Master10K

dont know if this has been mentioned. I know it wasnt clarified in the article.  Are the four maps seperate instances, or are they open?

They are open but seperated by portals.

portal= teleport to seperate zone

portal= a funnel type single enterance

no offense, but I am still perplexed

They are instances in the same way every single game world in every single MMO ( yes, including EvE online due to the test server. ) is an instance.

There's copies of them but it's limited to one copy per server. There's portals between them but all portals lead to and from the same copies.

I think you are being a little sarcastic which is unnecessary.

what is the definition of portal? Is it a loading screen?

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

Originally posted by cali59

I'll be interested to see how they do portals to and from a central zone.  My big concern is how do you avoid the possibility of a gank squad waiting right on the other side to massacre anybody stepping across?

I can understand the four zones to decrease server load, but what about communication?  Will there be a chat channel for your faction across all four zones?

I'm a big fan of symmetry when it comes to design.  It doesn't have to be skinned the same, but it should be functionally identical.  When one side can reach an objective before the other, it leads to stale gameplay.  Side A goes to the objective they can reach first, side B then decides they can only win by focusing on another objective.  Even more problematic I think is when the map itself offers advantages to one side or another.  As an example, in WoW's Alterac Valley, the alliance had to attack the horde at Iceblood by going up a ramp chokepoint, but the horde could go on offense by just dropping down off the high ground elsewhere.  On the mirror side though, the chokepoint was a mountain pass.  The alliance couldn't flank the horde at all because there was no way around.

4 zones= 1 zone per realm and a battle zone where all 3 rrealms collide

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

It wasn't sarcasm. Merely the technical truth. I thought the confusion was on the definition of instance, not portal.

A portal is a teleporter. Which will transport you from one map to another. The only way to reach the other map is through this portal. Depending on the game code there may or may not be a loading screen. Likely there will be but it's also possible that the engine will always load all 4 maps in memory thus requiring no loading screens or it could even be smart enough to start pre-loading the next map in the background as soon as you approach a portal so that by the time you reach it will likely be finished loading and there won't be a loading screen.

Think WAR flight masters, WoW boats/dark portal, VG rifts etc. likely with loading screen but could be without one.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by Master10K

dont know if this has been mentioned. I know it wasnt clarified in the article.  Are the four maps seperate instances, or are they open?

They are open but seperated by portals.

portal= teleport to seperate zone

portal= a funnel type single enterance

no offense, but I am still perplexed

They are instances in the same way every single game world in every single MMO ( yes, including EvE online due to the test server. ) is an instance.

There's copies of them but it's limited to one copy per server. There's portals between them but all portals lead to and from the same copies.

Let me attempt to explain this with a diagram.

Server A

Server B

Server C

Neutral Zone (N)

If each of these places represent a physical area, then the 4 of them are linked in a Triangle shaped map where each edge of the triangle is a zone, and the center of the triangle is also a zone.

When passing from one side of the triangle to the center, you would go through a wavy area that represents the border of the zone. The wavy area is an actual divider between the zones, but otherwise is seamless. Therefore you might as well imagine the entire area being one place, but with loading screens in between territories.

With that been said, Server A, B, C, and N are divided by wavy lines that lead into a loading screen, but are otherwise seamless as all members of all servers can enter into any place.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Sounds better than I imagined. May not be "world pvp", but the way their describing it sounds just as good...Now I just wish all of these games(gw2,swtor,tera,archage) would release already image

None of these current mmos even keeping my interest anymore...

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

Some of us already knew how the wvw would be organized but it's nice they are finally starting to release some relevant information (pvp information) to the fans.

2012 is only 7months away and then we will be in the year that gw2 will release. 

• JokodudeJokodude Member Posts: 11

Can anyone say DAOC?  3 faction system, portal keep, upgradable keeps, a system w/ a home zone and then a central zone?  Also rewards for winning the world pvp. Man, this is 100% DAOC world pvp with what seem to be some upgrades.  Just to clarify on portal keep.  This does not necessarily mean that you can only get to the middle zone through the keep.  Instead, it just means you can port to the keep from your home zone.  So say you want to travel quickly to a middle zone keep your world occupies, you would port to that from your home zone.  That being said, you will also be able to walk from your home zone to that keep without having to use any type of portal.  The four zones will be connected by the middle zone, where its possible to walk from your home zone to the middle zone to an enemies home zone without doing any type of teleporting.

I am very happy to see that someone over at arenanet has played daoc and seen the value of a 3 faction system.  I definitely know that the world pvp in daoc was the best world pvp that has existed in any mmo, so finally having someone port it over to their game is so great.  I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time, and I'm so happy someone is finally putting it together.  One of my favorite things in daoc was to have 1 faction fight another, and then the third faction would join the fight and a three way battle would ensue.  This 3 way dynamic is a huge deal, because it means 1 faction has a very hard time taking complete control of the battlefield.  So say 1 group takes over the middle zone, the other two groups can both attack the middle zone, meaning the group in control will have a horribly hard time defending it all.

Unlike the 2 faction system, a 3 faction system can actually have a sort of balance.  So yea, this is just awesome and I am drooling in anticipation of this game.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Jokodude

Can anyone say DAOC?  3 faction system, portal keep, upgradable keeps, a system w/ a home zone and then a central zone?  Also rewards for winning the world pvp. Man, this is 100% DAOC world pvp with what seem to be some upgrades.  Just to clarify on portal keep.  This does not necessarily mean that you can only get to the middle zone through the keep.  Instead, it just means you can port to the keep from your home zone.  So say you want to travel quickly to a middle zone keep your world occupies, you would port to that from your home zone.  That being said, you will also be able to walk from your home zone to that keep without having to use any type of portal.  The four zones will be connected by the middle zone, where its possible to walk from your home zone to the middle zone to an enemies home zone without doing any type of teleporting.

I am very happy to see that someone over at arenanet has played daoc and seen the value of a 3 faction system.  I definitely know that the world pvp in daoc was the best world pvp that has existed in any mmo, so finally having someone port it over to their game is so great.  I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time, and I'm so happy someone is finally putting it together.  One of my favorite things in daoc was to have 1 faction fight another, and then the third faction would join the fight and a three way battle would ensue.  This 3 way dynamic is a huge deal, because it means 1 faction has a very hard time taking complete control of the battlefield.  So say 1 group takes over the middle zone, the other two groups can both attack the middle zone, meaning the group in control will have a horribly hard time defending it all.

Unlike the 2 faction system, a 3 faction system can actually have a sort of balance.  So yea, this is just awesome and I am drooling in anticipation of this game.

I have to agree with this, DAoC was amazing with what it did for PvP and really the only game since that did it justice was WAR, but to less of a degree. ArenaNet hopefully can implement this well and I believe they will by what they've said about not implementing anything unless it's 100%. 

I can see how 2 servers may team-up on the other if they seem to be "pushing zones" too fast or are too dangerous for one of the other servers to go toe-to-toe with but hopefully with how the match-making works, we won't see it too often. As far as what some others have said about not having that sense of rivalry with certain servers, I think that we will still have that. Once you are matched against certain servers, it's a good bet that you'll run into those same servers constantly unless one server loses alot of their PvPers and gets matched with a lower "tier" PvP server.

All said, 3-way PvP is how it should be done in modern MMOs. 2 factions just doesn't make sense anymore and it creates too much imbalance. You'll have the fair weather PvPers transferring or re-rolling to the "winning" servers/factions in other games like Rift and WAR, not so with 3-way systems. It's good to see that GW2 has this 3-way server vs server system and it should help create some meaningful PvP for once.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by RobertDinh

Some of us already knew how the wvw would be organized but it's nice they are finally starting to release some relevant information (pvp information) to the fans.

2012 is only 7months away and then we will be in the year that gw2 will release. 

omg Dinh sighting :O!! but this time i actualy agree with everything you said, on that topic cant wait for more pvp info with the gameplay mechanics they are promising pvp sounds like it will be incredibly fun (and in a open world of sorts no less :D)

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Someone can tell me please... what are the differences between this World PVP and the PVP from aion?

a friend of mine is saying that it's just like Aion. o.o So, any explanations?

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

This just might be the game that'll keep me happy for a very long time.  Of course nothing is for certain until I play it.  But from the sound of it, it seems like they've learned from DAOC and took the good from DAOC, and expanded on the RvR concept.  It honestly is a great concept to make it server vs server vs server.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

It wasn't sarcasm. Merely the technical truth. I thought the confusion was on the definition of instance, not portal.

A portal is a teleporter. Which will transport you from one map to another. The only way to reach the other map is through this portal. Depending on the game code there may or may not be a loading screen. Likely there will be but it's also possible that the engine will always load all 4 maps in memory thus requiring no loading screens or it could even be smart enough to start pre-loading the next map in the background as soon as you approach a portal so that by the time you reach it will likely be finished loading and there won't be a loading screen.

Think WAR flight masters, WoW boats/dark portal, VG rifts etc. likely with loading screen but could be without one.

thats what I was wondering. Would there be loading screens between zones. 

So there is a good possibility there will be, even if it brief.   I would prefer seamless zone to zone travel myself.

ps: by instance I meant a loading screen.  Whatever other technical definition there may be, I think for the general population, when we hear instanced, we hear loading screens (AoC)

So there is a good possibility there will be, even if it brief.   I would prefer seamless zone to zone travel myself.

ps: by instance I meant a loading screen.  Whatever other technical definition there may be, I think for the general population, when we hear instanced, we hear loading screens (AoC)

We don't know if the WvWvW maps have loading screens between them. The zones in the open world do and I believe most people are assuming that it is the same for WvWvW due to that.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Well, thats a rather lazy way to think about things (being wrong because most other people are wrong).

seriously, its this easy...

• games without loading screens for there main world are seamless (as in without seams inbetween zones).

• seamless games can have instances, which do have a loading screen, but what really defines an instance is that it is a copy of a zone made for a small group of people and it is speparate from other peoples instances.

• everything below here is a rant.

• the only real difference between not knowing the difference and being wrong is that nobody who has read this post all the way through fits in to the first group.

• people who are too lazy to get the words right cause miscommunication to take place when talking to people who know the correct definitions for these words.

• people who understand what you mean and answer your questions nicely without correcting what you are saying contribute to this problem as well.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

Just remember... just because the system sounds similar to daoc in some ways, does not mean the game will play or feel like daoc.

In DAoC people took pride in their characters...

In GW2 characters are easy to build up, and even if you don't build them up the game buffs you to "level the playing field" when you enter WvW. 

This may be good for casuals but it may also make the game a little too shallow for people to truly feel involved.

One of the great aspects of pvp in old mmos is that people spent so much time and had such a large attachment to their character that it added a new incentive to be good at pvp.  I mean it was like throwing your hundreds of man hours manifested into your character vs another person's hundreds of man hours and seeing who had learned the game better. 

Originally posted by RobertDinh

Just remember... just because the system sounds similar to daoc in some ways, does not mean the game will play or feel like daoc.

In DAoC people took pride in their characters...

In GW2 characters are easy to build up, and even if you don't build them up the game buffs you to "level the playing field" when you enter WvW. 

Players entering World PvP enter with the level, equipment and skills their character has at that time.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_PvP

This may be good for casuals but it may also make the game a little too shallow for people to truly feel involved.

One of the great aspects of pvp in old mmos is that people spent so much time and had such a large attachment to their character that it added a new incentive to be good at pvp.  I mean it was like throwing your hundreds of man hours manifested into your character vs another person's hundreds of man hours and seeing who had learned the game better. 

• JokodudeJokodude Member Posts: 11

The devs have stated that they plan to make the world essentially a free for all.  Everyone enters with their own lvl/equipment and anyone can join in the pvp.  There is no cap to the players or anything like that.  So yea, there will be an epic feel to world pvp because it will not only be about a place to fight and take keeps, but it will be about getting together your realm and forming a bigger force than the opposing realm.  It will be about pitting the gear and skills you earned vs others.  It will also be about hiding and waiting for 2 enemies to fight and destroying both and reaping the rewards ^^

I have not been this excited for an mmo in years.  It really makes me happy that we are going to get REAL pvp finally after so long.  I just wish GW2 was coming out today so I could get it an play it!

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by Morcotulcon

Someone can tell me please... what are the differences between this World PVP and the PVP from aion?

a friend of mine is saying that it's just like Aion. o.o So, any explanations?

Aion had 2 factions fighting, this one has 3; which will hopefully result in more interesting battles, not just my zerg beats yours. Also in Aion you had a way to reach other factions pve zones, here you cant. Other than that the design of these two games are different, Aion is heavily gear&money dependent, whereas GW2 is advertised as opposite.

I need more vespene gas.

Originally posted by romanator0

We don't know if the WvWvW maps have loading screens between them. The zones in the open world do and I believe most people are assuming that it is the same for WvWvW due to that.

did you just say that the zones in the open world have loading screens between them?

I was under the impression that the open world was seamless and the only time we would see a loading screen was with fast travel

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Have you ever played EQ1 on a fast computer with a great net connection? Zone lines took roughly .5 seconds to traverse but that didn't mean there were no zone lines.

The way I read it, GW2 will be the same way in the WvWvW area. 4 Zones... one for each Server, and one central. I look at it this way, if it helps the latency on the battlefield to be reasonable, then hurrah for zone lines.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by romanator0

did you just say that the zones in the open world have loading screens between them?

I was under the impression that the open world was seamless and the only time we would see a loading screen was with fast travel

Afraid not.

Whilst still persistent the open world isn't seamless.

Though we are told that each zone is massive, so at least you are not going to run into a portal every 10 minutes.

do you have a link to this information from a net?