Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW + Stormwind = Freeze

Shinji-ExShinji-Ex Member Posts: 16

Since latest patch many users on the home site are reporting crash & character lock out while exploring Stormwind & possibly other cities

I sadly a new user em having this issue as well :(

Comments

• AarorAaror Member Posts: 25

Not a new problem unfortunatly.  My understanding is it has to do with how many spiffy items all the characters you approach have, your computer has to load all that data, and slows to a crawl.  Couple tricks you can try: 

Get online when few people are on, see if it avoids the problem.

Turn graphics down in cities (don't think it will work, but worth a try).

If you just need bank/inn, there is a second bank in the dwarven district, it doesn't crash folks like the one in the front of SW.

The worst spot is apparently in front of ironforge, it is like a pit trap!

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

How much Ram do you have?

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Shinji-ExShinji-Ex Member Posts: 16

(RAM) 2.00 GB

Window 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I think 2 was fine a few years ago, id try it with more now.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.

I can run Forsaken World & Lord of The Rings Online just fine while running through cities and those are F2P

Thats funny, i had trouble running FW on max graphics in the major city.

Im no computer expert sorry, that was just the first thing i thought. When i first played WoW i had to do some upgrading when getting to major cities and of course over the years the games system has been advanced so i just thought that may be it.

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    2Gb is the absolute min required for win 7 64 bit. You aren't leaving much for wow to use. You should have 4Gb before switching from 32 to 64 bit. (3.5 ish realy).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements
  • rainwolfrainwolf Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Shinji-Ex

Since latest patch many users on the home site are reporting crash & character lock out while exploring Stormwind & possibly other cities

I sadly a new user em having this issue as well :(

Means your computer sux brah, get an upgrade.  At least that is what all the GMs sigh to themselves as they handle 48 complaints about this everyday.

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Wow CAN be played on anything, but it also means on a lower computer especially one trying to run a os for powerful computers that's a bit much you need to adjust graphics WAY down in crowded areas like cities. Spell effects, view distance, and shadows are the enemy. I haven't played wow in a while, but I seem to remember addons to downshift graphics for cities and raids.

As to the other two mmos you mentioned, the issue is pop. Stormwind on most servers can have rediculouse numbers of players running around.

With 2Gb of ram I would be running xp 32 bit. Not that win 7 isn't a great os, but you don't have enough to take advantage of it.
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

did you know an iphone can run wow, but then an iphone actually has 4 gigs of ram, 2 gigs is the min for your os, you need some for the game to use momo-special-ed

• AkaroniaAkaronia Member Posts: 138

Guys this is nothing new to DC in SW.  It has always happened to some users no matter where they are and it ALWAYS happens after patches.  This is normal......  That is why they always have to do another patch to fix the first one.

Originally posted by Ravenspen

2Gb is the absolute min required for win 7 64 bit. You aren't leaving much for wow to use. You should have 4Gb before switching from 32 to 64 bit. (3.5 ish realy). http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements

Actually I Was told I had to have 3 in mine before I got Windows 7 just for 32 bit.

Just did research on WOW turns out the cause is do to an out of dated character UI which takes up lots of memory thus if your in city with lots of people the game is loading each of those character appearance data which higher then normal

Hence why Forsaken World LOTRO newer more assessable games don't waste memory on character UI

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Ravenspen

Wow CAN be played on anything,

this is not true anymore.... my brother plays some 3D f2p games like twelve sky 2 and metin2 and they run well.... but when he tried WoW he had massive lags at lowest setting when walking in towns, and with the second lowest settings the game just crashed even if he was alone in the area...  so this quoted sentence is wrong

• AarorAaror Member Posts: 25

My wife had to buy a new computer after the last patch.  A 128 MB Graphics card was no longer good enough for WOW...

Getting a 1GB graphics card fixed the lag pits in the cities just fine.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Just did research on WOW turns out the cause is do to an out of dated character UI which takes up lots of memory thus if your in city with lots of people the game is loading each of those character appearance data which higher then normal

I think you've misunderstood something you've read on the net. Some months ago there was a big issue with one addon inspecting everyone nearby and causing lag and crashes. If you're using addons you should definitely try disabling them and see if that helps in SW.

But it seems some people are right now having a new problem in SW, and it's not caused by UI.

Originally posted by Vrika

I think you've misunderstood something you've read on the net. Some months ago there was a big issue with one addon inspecting everyone nearby and causing lag and crashes. If you're using addons you should definitely try disabling them and see if that helps in SW.

But it seems some people are right now having a new problem in SW, and it's not caused by UI.

As I said prior give them a week or 2 they will come out with a patch to fix this problem with came out in the first patch or maybe actually manage to stream it in with their new streaming system.  This is no new thing.  This is a consistent problem on any content patch on WoW.  Has nothing to do with computers.  I upgraded mine long ago and no matter what everytime they did a content patch this always happened.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

ive had this befor one server would work the other would lock my toon out   took about 2 weeks to fix it self