Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Losing interest from one day to another! :/

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

After 2 level 50's in Tier gear and maxed crafting professions, I find myself logging in less and less as of late. There are no real incentives to level 50, and the lack of any real world PvP has me rather frustrated. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

After a few weeks of beta I was feeling Deja-Vu....For some moments I thought I was back playing Aion, desperately trying to finish some quest or grinding some mobs to get one more lvl before logging out....

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

I got to level 50, 6 days after early access started. After a couple weeks i was in tier 2 gear. I havnt logged in for a couple weeks now and dont miss it at all. Might check it out again after 1.2 but I'm not very optimistic.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

All games get boring once you "beat" them. It can still be fun playing them over again but not so much more. It takes patches and new content to keep us interested.

Until you find the game that you think is worth playin all day long for a good while try playing more than one game. =p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

Well normally I'd just roll alts and have fun playing those but in Rift for some reason I just could never do it. I'd get an alt to around level 20 and just give up on it.  honestly I think for me the thing I hated the most was the global cool down system and the animations just seemed really bad.  That said I came to Rift from AoC which is anything excels in it's combat system and animations. Is Rift a good game? yes, I believe it is. Is it for everyone? No I don't believe so.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

I hit 50 earlier than most but not as rapidly as some and what swept me out of the game was not the repetativeness of it (I mean I still LIKED doing the rift stuff and I had reached a point where I could solo them and minor invasions etc) but the balancing part of it.

I was a paladin(32)/beast(24)/warlord(10) and it worked out quite well.  Even after the first nerf which hit when I was in the dwarven moonshade areas.  In essence at that point I tightened up my spec to the one you see above and improved my equipment and managed to manage.  It was the second nerf to paladins in the big patch that took me from being able to solo my dailies to NOT being able to solo my dailies, from being able to tank a few invasions without dedicated healing to save the town to being the first person to die that pushed me over.  The game ceased to be fun, and my character even with the best equipment would never be as good as I remembered it.  Hence it was time to leave. 

The other thing that got me down was the decrease in the number of plaques per dungeon and the reduction of faction gains per daily.  I dont like finish lines that keep moving. 

In my opinion they killed their own game.

You're certainly right about all that.

I was a rogue and with most rogues I know we spent more time trying to find specs that actually worked for us then playing the game. Pretty funny how the dps classes got out DPS'd by just about everyone.  I consider myself to have been one of the better rogues on the server as well.  All the knee jerk blanket nerfs coming out have really turned me off to the game. I never expected it to be balanced but as of now it's pretty absurd.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Happened to me too.  I was a level 50 rogue by the end with decent gear.  Mainly purchased, because I was running the RC mat market from the start.  Had over 1k plat when I decided to stop logging in.  Playing the market probably extended the life of the game a bit for me as well, which isn't saying much.  Leveling up to 50 was fun... well at least to about 40.  The end game is just not something I'm looking for.  I did enjoy raiding at one time in WoW, but maybe my life/interests have just outgrown that sort of game.  Who knows?

Anyways, the way I solved my "entertainment crisis" was to pick up Torchlight.  Game is single player, no pressure to "log in for dailies" and just fun.

http://www.torchlightgame.com

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

When I hit 50 there weren't many others ready to go do experts and then later raids.  However, once I decided to make my own guild for level 50s only that wanted to raid/do endgame stuff,  the game became even more fun than while I was leveling up.  The raid dungeons are so awesome.  They make any other raid dungeon in any other game just seem boring and easy.  The endgame in Rift is an actual challenge.  We actually spend time preparing and practicing our techniques and timing together.  You can't run into endgame dungeons just doing the old tank n spank like in other games.  It takes timing, skill, money (pots and what not), and alot of luck to finish GSB.  We have yet to complete ROS, but we'll do it soon. I know it :)

• akumahisaiakumahisai Member UncommonPosts: 34

Pretty much what happened to me as well...

I was really happy during the first few betas, then lost interest before hooking up with a nice guild in the last few betas. 

I started playing and made it pretty effortlessly to 50 playing a bit more than usual. I did the dungeon/rep grind for a few days but I could already see it would not last long. Each passing days, I would do fewer quests and dungeons until I pretty much stopped logging in.

As much as the concept of Rift should encourage you to roll up alts and try new souls, I couldn't even muster the courage or motivation to go back to grinding quests and rifts again following the same zone progression layout.

Right now I still have a subscription for 2 more months and I log in...once a week for 2 minutes?

So...I'm in a total MMORPG limbo right now... It's great since I have more time, but I'd love to have some quiet evening entertainment once in a while...

What are people playing right now?

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by akumahisai

I'd like to know as well.  I'm bored of them all right now unfortunately.  I keep browsing around hoping maybe there is a hidden gem I missed somewhere...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• imahayheadimahayhead Member UncommonPosts: 33

Like many here, I played Rift daily for a couple of months after it came out. I made it to 50 quickly then sank into the daily grind which consists of spending hours in one expert dungeon, then on to another, then doing dailies in stillmoor. It quickly becomes boring and the dwindling population makes it worse. It was no longer fun mainly because of the dailies and Trion changing things too much, too soon. They should have established a fanbase then introduced the River of Souls event and not majorly nerfed most of the classes a month into the game. As for me, I'll be playing Eve-Online beacuse it is the only game that does not become boring and does not make you group up with noobs that do not know how to play their class.

• akumahisaiakumahisai Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by akumahisai

I'd like to know as well.  I'm bored of them all right now unfortunately.  I keep browsing around hoping maybe there is a hidden gem I missed somewhere...

Yeah, I've tried most of the bigger MMOs I guess, so this hidden gem needs to be pretty well hidden I'd think!

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Originally posted by Ender4

It takes a while to realize that Rift was designed by Trelane the Squire of Gothos.

During the meal, McCoy noticed that the food and drink had no flavor, while Karl Jaeger commented that the fire burned brightly, but emitted no heat. These things, and Trelane's error in time, suggested that he wasn't infallible and that he knew of the Earth forms but none of the substance.

That sums up the game for me. It knows the form of a good MMO it just lacks all of the substance of one.

Hehe thanks for jogging my memory on that old episode.  And I agree with the comparison.

I did make it to 50 and did the daily quests for about two weeks before giving up.   I'm fortunate to be in a guild with some of the nicest people I've met in any mmo.  But I've noticed fewer and fewer logging in.  Several have been upfront about not enjoying themselves and going back to their previous mmo's, while others just quietly disappeared.  I have a six-month sub so I'm tinkering with an alt waiting to see what sort of content they might add.

In the meantime, I was back to playing EQ1 with that $14 D2D deal they had going on Easter.  But with SOE stuff going on, not an option lately.

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

Really? I spent the last 3 Invasions yesterday with full 2 groups of 40 on Wolfsbane (I'm level 40 Rogue) . We combated 3 Invasions in Scarwood, despite failing one because of the Guardians. we all still had fun. When the invasion was about to start, I started inviting people. When it started, We had so many Defiants ready to pounce that the Invasion was over in 7 minutes. I'm not even kidding. Everyone was left standing with "Was that it?"

Honestly, it's SO easy to organize raids for these things. Take a stand and do something about it. Waiting for the magical "Join Public Party" button won't happen.

If I'm in a zone and there's an invasion, I organize and lead them no matter what level the zone. I've even done Stonefield invasions simply passing through it after some Cairn.

Everyone listened and followed my waypoints. We all moved as one group. People defended that were asked to defend. Had no problems what-so-ever.

I even had a ton of people whisper me after the invasions telling me how good a job I did. I realize I'm one of the minority of people, but the point is you need to get things moving. When you hear an invasion is coming, that's your queue to ready a group. Not sit by on your hands and wait for them to over run you.

And if you're Guardian on Wolfsbane, then I'm sorry for you.. Because there's like 5 Guardians in every zone.. There's just NO Guardian players on Wolfsbane. Lol

First steps to a successful invasion thwarting:

1. Post in General and level channels which are appropriate for your zone (I.E 30-39 for Scarwood) that you are starting a Raid

2. Ask anyone joining to meet at a specific point so EVERYONE can move as a unit.

3. Ask everyone to REMOVE all Waypoints BEFORE the event

4. Once the event starts, ANNOUNCE THAT EVERYONE FOLLOW THE WAYPOINTS.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

Thanks for your post! Good to see people doing something other than level. There are cool things in the game and moving from quest to just grind levels will make anyone bored. Rift has more to offer than that it just that most people have visual/social blinders on and I feel sad for you. I would like to also point out that RIft has an awesome community.

• osc8rosc8r Member UncommonPosts: 688

Originally posted by Lathander81

Thanks for your post! Good to see people doing something other than level. There are cool things in the game and moving from quest to just grind levels will make anyone bored. Rift has more to offer than that it just that most people have visual/social blinders on and I feel sad for you. I would like to also point out that RIft has an awesome community.

Funny, I didn't have those blinkers on in all those other MMO's that kept me playing for months, or even years.

Originally posted by osc8r

Funny, I didn't have those blinkers on in all those other MMO's that kept me playing for months, or even years.

Playing MMOs for a long period of time has jaded you. Do you remember what it was like when you first played an MMO? The visuals, the music, the interaction with other people? You were not as critical, little things wrong with the game didn't bother you and you would spend hours doing repetive things because you had a goal. People didn't go to forums to complain about the game....look how far we have fallen.

The reason you didn't have blinders on was it was all new experience and you didn't have a bunch of people critizing people they never met over a game that many people worked hard to make.  Poeple had fun in group because they needed each other and community in a game meant something. Commnity now just refers to poeple talking in chat...sad. The MMO community lost its sense to enjoy every game for what it is and not what they think it should be.

Playing MMOs for a long period of time has jaded you. Do you remember what it was like when you first played an MMO? The visuals, the music, the interaction with other people? You were not as critical, little things wrong with the game didn't bother you and you would spend hours doing repetive things because you had a goal. People didn't go to forums to complain about the game....look how far we have fallen.

The reason you didn't have blinders on was it was all new experience and you didn't have a bunch of people critizing people they never met over a game that many people worked hard to make.  Poeple had fun in group because they needed each other and community in a game meant something. Commnity now just refers to poeple talking in chat...sad. The MMO community lost its sense to enjoy every game for what it is and not what they think it should be.

No it hasn't.  I've been playing MMO's for ~14 years. Yet, I managed to play alot of recent MMOs for several months of more... this even included unpolished and bug ridden games such as VG and AOC. Hell, I even lasted 3 months in Aion and WAR.

I'm not playing any differently, or being any less social (same guild), yet Rift only lasted me a month.

No it hasn't.  I've been playing MMO's for ~14 years. Yet, I managed to play alot of recent MMOs for several months of more... this even included unpolished and bug ridden games such as VG and AOC. Hell, I even lasted 3 months in Aion and WAR.

I'm not playing any differently, or being any less social (same guild), yet Rift only lasted me a month.

So what games did you play for years at time? And what makes Rift so unbearable? Do you think you are more critical or less now? Why? I think you will find that playing for years had made it easier for you not to enjoy them and if not tell me why.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to find the time to allocate enough time to other games, when my targets set in Rift are not yet achieved (PvP). It was easy to avoid Dragon Age 2, due to Bioware floading us with DLC, but I would have liked to also play a bit the new Mount and Blade. The thing is, the PvP is enjoyable enough and the goal is close enough that I don't see myself moving away from Rift gaming until that is achieved.

And then we have the new changes in 1.2 coming in 5 days from now, which will spice things even more and probably push the goalpost a bit further still. I'm looking forward to them, lots of goodies into them.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

ITs wierd that you feel this way and your a rogue. I mean just have an assassin spec so you can sneak eveywhere. The level process was way to conbersome for any other class......but for rogue it was actually fun for me. Then when i got my Rogue to 50 I had enough of the game.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

So what games did you play for years at time? And what makes Rift so unbearable? Do you think you are more critical or less now? Why? I think you will find that playing for years had made it easier for you not to enjoy them and if not tell me why.

Played UO, AC1, and EVE for years. Played EVE, Tibia and SWG for a year or more. VG for 6+ months, etc etc etc....

What made rift unbearable? It wasn't unbearable, I enjoyed my month, it just lacked longevity.

My complaints? The only endgame content was grinding out gear in rehashed instances, rifts were fun... but got boring and repetitive quickly, the quests were simple, boring and generic, the combat system was clumsy, animations were lacking etc. My main complatin though? The PVP was terrible. Somehow they managed to turn PVP into a souless, instanced, gear grindfest.

I gave Rift just as much of a chance as any other MMO, and I quit when I stop having fun. Unfortunately I stopped having fun a lot quicker here than I do with most MMO's.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Mainstream/top-end games were designed differently and/or where far less streamlined (console games as well) in the past. This seems to be most older gamers problem. Mainstream/top-end games are primarily targetting completely different audiences today than they were in the past. It isn't just MMOs but general PC games and consoles as well.

Have you played EQ1? Do you really think a game released today would dominate the genre if it actually made people "work" at the game? Secret world claims to be adding some such elements, I guess we'll see how it goes.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It's just a train of thought, but the 2 games I played each 5 years, SWG and EQ2, had great communities into which I was involved. Took me years to level my chars and I didn't mind at all. These days, I recall in LOTRO people levelled so damn fast, I was away 3 days and whoopteedoo, all my friend list people were 10 levels above me. To me it seems, MMOs these days don't bring people together anymore. Maybe people changed too. Tried many MMOs and many guilds in the last 3 years, but it was always the same song. I ended up spending way too much time alone and got bored grinding all alone. *shrug*

Thinking how mediocre SWG and EQ2 as games were, it must be something else. Sometimes I fear nothing will ever bring back the way it was. Maybe the mentality just changed too much. I dunno. :/

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Games that I stuck with and why I enjoyed them? It's not just the end game but the whole starting experience and area.  I already mentioned what I didn't like about the end game, but the starting areas and leveling experiences are important to me.  Based on the games I liked and stayed with or went back to, in EQ1/2, LotRO, DAOC, SWG you begin life in or just outside of a large town/city.  It's your home base and based on interactions with the NPC's I felt a connection with my character and my mmo home there.  These were my people and I felt part of it.  As I level, there is lots of open world to explore and several options available to me on where and how to level.  The leveling duration is long enough to keep me entertained for months.

In Rift (and Warhammer) I start in some outpost out in the middle of nowhere with bombs and explosions going off.  While some find this exciting, it was just unsettling and annoying for me and I couldn't wait to get out of the tutorial.  Once out, I'm sent from small outpost to small outpost in a world crammed tight full of mobs.  I may or may not have time to chat with the npc depending on whether an invasion is on its way.  There's a small main "city" that we all pile into.  Whether I'm human, elf, or dwarf I have the same experiences and go the same places and will be done in a month.

I'm not an end game person and I guess that's what the difference is.  It's the leveling process I have the most fun with and the MMO's that offer the most options for slower leveling whether solo, duo, trio or full group are the ones that kept me the most entertained the longest.