Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom won't deliver

Comments

• JimmyduudahJimmyduudah Member Posts: 4

Funcom won't deliver?

Then I guess it's digital download only then?

;p (and I know I can add emotes but I am at work and they don't work)

• KelSaithKelSaith Member Posts: 12

I too love the concept enough that I will definately buy this game when released. Even if it is very buggy everything I've seen suggests an amazing atmosphere and story line and really that is enough for me.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Xasapis

AO was pretty awesome for the years I played it. It started bad but they turned it around completely in my opinion.

Agreed.

The game had a very rough launch. But in time, they polished it up, turned it around and it became easily one of the deepest and most interesting MMORPGs I've personally ever played.

The character development system alone - Nanos and Implants - has more depth to it than some MMOs I've played recently have in the entire game.

And that's not even getting into the myriad other aspects to the game.

Unfortunately, there are people who get hung up on a single period in time and refuse to acknowledge that time marches on.

I mean, AO is still going. They are still working on and improving it. People are still playing it. I was there for their last anniversary event, and it was amazing to see the community built up within, and outside the game. You don't see that in newer MMOs anymore.

In a time where some MMOs are nixed barely a year after their launch, if that... and still others are cancelled before they even get out the door.. That's saying something.

But again, some people are so dedicated to hating something, that they'll remain willfully ignorant and dismissive to anything and everything that challenges their position. To that end, I will predict here and now that even if PW were to launch smoothly - at least on par with Rift and LoTRO - those people will ignore that and conjure up some reason - however, ridiculous, to sa "See? Told you they'd fail!".

The problem with this is that I'm not predicting failure or success or anything at all.  My gripes with the company go back a ways and they're real.  They have nothing to do with bugs at launch, missing content, broken content or any of the myriad other things that plague most launches.  It has to do with company character.  FunCom has shown me they have poor character and other developers have made a much more positive impression.  It makes no difference to me if they put out a decent game finally.  I don't care.  I'm not so desperate for what they offer that I can't find better elsewhere, and that's where my *limited* money goes -- to those who have shown me they're worth my investment.

For the record, I hope FC puts out a good game because I know many people are looking forward to it.  But I'm going to lay my money down on a horse that's already won for me, not one who last time, stumbled out of the gate then wandered over to the rail to eat grass.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Unlight

The problem with this is that I'm not predicting failure or success or anything at all.  My gripes with the company go back a ways and they're real.  They have nothing to do with bugs at launch, missing content, broken content or any of the myriad other things that plague most launches.  It has to do with company character.  FunCom has shown me they have poor character and other developers have made a much more positive impression. 

you wrote this in a confrontational manner so i'll bite.

Which developer, in your opinion has a better "character"? EA? Interplay? Bethesda? Take2? Topware? (rofl)

And what is this "character" based on?

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by AdamTM

The problem with this is that I'm not predicting failure or success or anything at all.  My gripes with the company go back a ways and they're real.  They have nothing to do with bugs at launch, missing content, broken content or any of the myriad other things that plague most launches.  It has to do with company character.  FunCom has shown me they have poor character and other developers have made a much more positive impression. 

Which developer, in your opinion has a better "character"? EA? Interplay? Bethesda? Take2? Topware? (rofl)

I think he's talking about SOE

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by Jimmyduudah

Funcom won't deliver?

Then I guess it's digital download only then?

;p (and I know I can add emotes but I am at work and they don't work)

BAHAHA that was good

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Well AO might still be my all time favorite mmorpg.  It wasnt fantasy, it was sci-fi...it had a level of complexity that has yet to be matched, even eve..it was completely unique.

AoC, for all of its downfalls, had my favorite combat system of any mmorpg ive ever played, the game itself was lacking, and the launch was an outright lie, but i learned from AO and waited, and spent about a year and a half in AoC and loved every minuet of it simply because combat and pvp was a blast.

I can understand people not trusting funcom after the AoC "launch" however some of the posters here, on this thread, that have been trolling funcom since AoC launch, they will stay strong on their hatred.  I susped they will subscribe for a month just to give them trolling-cred.  Never understood how people can become so emotionally deranged towards a game company that did nothing more than dissapoint.

Either way, this type of game is a game i want, i know funcom has it in them to do it well, ive spent more time playing their games than any other company, if its a crappy launch, ill unsub and come back and probably spend years playing.

I will be curious to see all the people whove been in a uproar for a game just like this for so many years react to getting a big budget game company's attempt to deliver, i have a feeling that its going to be an epic feat to get a game like this to flop, and by flop i dont mean compared to wow.  Funcom typically sticks with their games for the longrun, hell even AoC got a new engin i hear, and everyone expected that game to shut down years ago.

Im just so glad this isnt a cookiecutter fantasy themepark, and the IP isnt barrowed as a whole, been waiting for something unique and class free for a while...that wasnt a FPS wearing RPG clothes, or an RPG wearing FPS clothes.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by malefacus

I am not a Funcom hater. It's true that they are responsible for my bigest disapointment in my history as a gamer, AoC, but it would be futile, ridiculous and pathetic to have hard feeling toward a game company.

About TSW.  I watched the GDC gameplay video and heard the guy talking about living stories and other great features and awesomeness the game is/has/will be and I felt like it was starting all over again. These peoples are the best at saying things in a way that feels like one feature has a lot of potential and is/will be very enjoyable, just like it was with AoC. But in the end, they never delivers.

I'm not saying that TSW will ba a bad game. I guess it could be enjoyable, just like AoC is. The problem is, when you promote a game like they do, consciously creating hopes by using a cheap salesman speach all the time, you have to face the angry fans, who gets rightfully angry cause they beleived in honesty of the people promoting the game.

Expect some very hard months at release, cause Funcom won't deliver.  And I really wish they will prove me wrong.

First off,

Seeing how Funcom's two first major MMO's were more or less duds(AO and AoC) I'd say people have a right to have hard feelings and/or be weary of them.I personally will be waiting till this game is out for a bit before I buy.

Secondly, Every game company is going to throw you their sales pitch.If they can get you to buy a copy of the game,then it is a success.They can weather the angry fans and dodge the tomatoes,especially if they get your money.

Funcom is notorious for the 'release it now,fix it later' method.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by tank017

Originally posted by malefacus

I am not a Funcom hater. It's true that they are responsible for my bigest disapointment in my history as a gamer, AoC, but it would be futile, ridiculous and pathetic to have hard feeling toward a game company.

About TSW.  I watched the GDC gameplay video and heard the guy talking about living stories and other great features and awesomeness the game is/has/will be and I felt like it was starting all over again. These peoples are the best at saying things in a way that feels like one feature has a lot of potential and is/will be very enjoyable, just like it was with AoC. But in the end, they never delivers.

I'm not saying that TSW will ba a bad game. I guess it could be enjoyable, just like AoC is. The problem is, when you promote a game like they do, consciously creating hopes by using a cheap salesman speach all the time, you have to face the angry fans, who gets rightfully angry cause they beleived in honesty of the people promoting the game.

Expect some very hard months at release, cause Funcom won't deliver.  And I really wish they will prove me wrong.

First off,

Seeing how Funcom's two first major MMO's were more or less duds(AO and AoC) I'd say people have a right to have hard feelings and/or be weary of them.I personally will be waiting till this game is out for a bit before I buy.

Secondly, Every game company is going to throw you their sales pitch.If they can get you to buy a copy of the game,then it is a success.They can weather the angry fans and dodge the tomatoes,especially if they get your money.

Funcom is notorious for the 'release it now,fix it later' method.

Funcom is also notorious for promising the world and delivering well... none of it. They're all marketing no substance.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by strangerdang

I can understand people not trusting funcom after the AoC "launch" however some of the posters here, on this thread, that have been trolling funcom since AoC launch, they will stay strong on their hatred.  I susped they will subscribe for a month just to give them trolling-cred.  Never understood how people can become so emotionally deranged towards a game company that did nothing more than dissapoint.

Im just so glad this isnt a cookiecutter fantasy themepark, and the IP isnt barrowed as a whole, been waiting for something unique and class free for a while...that wasnt a FPS wearing RPG clothes, or an RPG wearing FPS clothes.

This.

Although I think it's simple: haters gotta hate, because they need to hate. As an outlet for their overall frustration and bitterness

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• kitschymookitschymoo Member Posts: 2

Ummm.... why do people keep bringing up The Longest Journey and Dreamfall? Absolutely, they were great games, and if The Secret World was a single player action-adventure-puzzle game, I'd be the first in line to get it.

But it is not. It is an MMO.

And regardless of what anyone says, if we take a look at Funcom's track record of MMO's at launch.... well, let's just say that I will not be an early adopter in this case.

Originally posted by kitschymoo

Ummm.... why do people keep bringing up The Longest Journey and Dreamfall? Absolutely, they were great games, and if The Secret World was a single player action-adventure-puzzle game, I'd be the first in line to get it.

Because Ragnar Tornquist is the game director of TSW, so things that people liked in those 2 games, gameplay mechanics, atmosphere and such, they'll probably find one way or the other also in TSW.

And regardless of what anyone says, if we take a look at Funcom's track record of MMO's at launch.... well, let's just say that I will not be an early adopter in this case.

Their MMO's had a bad, rushed launch, and with AoC some of their devs raised expectations too high, but as MMO's they were solid, enjoyable games.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• kitschymookitschymoo Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by kitschymoo

Because Ragnar Tornquist is the game director of TSW, so things that people liked in those 2 games, gameplay mechanics, atmosphere and such, they'll probably find one way or the other also in TSW.

Their MMO's had a bad, rushed launch, and with AoC some of their devs raised expectations too high, but as MMO's they were solid, enjoyable games.

I'm not writing this game off, but I'm not quite ready to cheerlead for it either. This game has a lot of things that I want to love. Modern day setting? Great! Free-form character progression? Fantastic! Faction based PvP a la DAoC? Count me there!

But there are many missteps and pitfalls between concept and reality, and hopefully Funcom has learned from their previous MMO experiences.

• DivinefairyDivinefairy Member Posts: 66

I don't get why people keep going Haters Gotta Hate when discussing why certain people are not fond of this company and/or game.

It's not pent up anger, it's not that "WE'z HATIN!", we just do not see value in the game or the company that creates it.

How is that pent up frustration?  I don't see why people who are against this game, in your eyes, cannot have a solid opinion and can't voice that opinion without being labelled trolls.

Anyways

Even Maverick said we will 'probably' see Tornquist's touch on the game, this says to me in all the hype of the game, you haven't actually seen ANYTHING reminiscent of TLJ.  I'm not convinced that's enough, he made one spectacular game and one decent game in the last decade and a half.  He has zero experience with MMOs, a market where even game companies WITH good experiences in MMOs have a high failure rate.

Funcom has anything but a good track record with MMOs.  

And now in this thread, I am always hearing that AoC is a wonderful game now.

Do you people even play it? It's unpopulated, boring, grindy (especially mid levels), and is essentially 2 separate games.

Awesome A+ from 1 -20.  Terrible D from 20+.  Once you get past the graphics (which we can already see are getting outdated, by FFXIV who has surpassed it (in my opinion)), the game is boring.  The PvP mechanics were not friendly, the quests get boring and repetitive, and the bugs are atrocious.  The combat is just choppy.

I played AO for a small period of time, and was unimpressed by that as well, mostly since by the time it was a decent game (as you all seem to feel) it was a thing of the past already, there were better things out there.

Anyways, please when someone says something that is not your opinion about the game, say that they say it only due to pent up anger and frustration, and abuse from their parents at a young age.

I'm not calling you a fanboi, don't do the same.

Thank you.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

If it turns out to be a great game, you guys will play it. Simple as that.

I see no point in threads like these, its win-win for ppl bashing Funcom coz you put nuffin on the line. If it fails you're an internet hero! If it turns out to be great, you'll play it and pretend like nuffin happened and nobody will ever care you bashed it.

"I wont play games from X company". Ye until they put out a great game, then you'll surely play it.

Originally posted by Divinefairy

I don't get why people keep going Haters Gotta Hate when discussing why certain people are not fond of this company and/or game.

It's not pent up anger, it's not that "WE'z HATIN!", we just do not see value in the game or the company that creates it.

Simple question: if the game was made by another company than Funcom, would you find the concept interesting then? No classes/levels, a modern day theme and setting, but with influences of magic, Lovecraft, horror, conspiracy theories and secret societies, puzzles and secret quests, high graphical quality and so on?

Only then can you honestly say 'we see no value in the game'.

How is that pent up frustration?  I don't see why people who are against this game, in your eyes, cannot have a solid opinion and can't voice that opinion without being labelled trolls.

They can, but just as with some SWG vets when you talk about SOE or individual devs from SWG, their opinions are heavily colored by their anger, frustration and embitterment, making it biased and lacking a degree of objectivity. Especially people that have made it their mission to talk as much negatively about a company or game as they can, effectively looking up threads and discussions regarding games that they despise including the company that make, making them post more or even only in such discussions instead of about games they like, those I have a hard time to find reasonable at all. And you'll find those people also on sites like this one.

Anyways

Even Maverick said we will 'probably' see Tornquist's touch on the game, this says to me in all the hype of the game, you haven't actually seen ANYTHING reminiscent of TLJ.  I'm not convinced that's enough, he made one spectacular game and one decent game in the last decade and a half.  He has zero experience with MMOs, a market where even game companies WITH good experiences in MMOs have a high failure rate.

Shrug. I said 'probably' because in contrast to other people who're all too eager to cry doom or fail, I keep my statements more in check, after all, we haven't seen that much gameplay yet to make such sure statements. What we did see, however, is the ARG's, and that Investigation missions and puzzles are part of the game. I'd say that's clearly Tornquist's touch.

Anyways, please when someone says something that is not your opinion about the game, say that they say it only due to pent up anger and frustration, and abuse from their parents at a young age.

Thank you.

People who in my mind clearly haven't let go of their anger and frustration and in some cases even their hate (yes, some people have literally used that word) when it comes to Funcom or their products, I find no objection to call them upon their heavy bias and unreasonability.

I didn't say that all critics or TSW opponents are like that, but there are certainly a number of people like I described among them.

How about treating your clients with a modicum of respect by not brushing of their very real concerns like flakes of dundruff on your shoulder?  Delivering a product that at least approaches the vision that you're selling people on, is pretty decent little goodwill generator all on it's own.

As for developers I have little problem with being the recipient's of my money based on their track record, there's Blizzard, ArenaNet, Bethesda, Runic and Bioware, to name a few, all of whom have games set to release in the not too distant future and will be competing for my entertainment dollars.  There are others who don't have anything scheduled on the horizon, but who I would also consider to be good bets. 

FC is not a good bet.  Can it be stated more succinctly?  The AoC launch wasn't so much a disaster because of the bugs and missing content.  That's forgiveable and expected for the first few months after a launch.  It was their complete disregard for their clients that placed a black mark beside their name for me.

Now I've seen other comments on here that we should just forgive and forget.  Turn the other cheek and all that happy horseshit.  Feel free.  I'd prefer to hold companies accountable for their actions and the only way to do that, is by no longer doing business with them.  It's pretty damned simple and is a cornerstone of the free market economy.  Too bad more people couldn't be as discerning with their dollars.  Companies would be less likely to rush out half-developed, half-assed garbage if they felt they would actually be held accountable for it.  But when it comes to MMOs, we gamers seem to be so desperate for our next fix that nothing else matters.  Get off the junk, bud.

Lastly, I don't care if you agree with me on who's a safe bet and who isn't.  If you felt you've been screwed over by a company, don't bend over the desk again and politely ask, "thank you sir, may I have another".  Just stop giving them any more of your money.  Hold them accountable.  The gaming market is full of other options.

Originally posted by onehunerdper

I think he's talking about SOE

And this would be based on what exactly?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Anyways

And now in this thread, I am always hearing that AoC is a wonderful game now.

Do you people even play it? It's unpopulated, boring, grindy (especially mid levels), and is essentially 2 separate games.

Awesome A+ from 1 -20.  Terrible D from 20+.  Once you get past the graphics (which we can already see are getting outdated, by FFXIV who has surpassed it (in my opinion)), the game is boring.  The PvP mechanics were not friendly, the quests get boring and repetitive, and the bugs are atrocious.  The combat is just choppy.

I played AO for a small period of time, and was unimpressed by that as well, mostly since by the time it was a decent game (as you all seem to feel) it was a thing of the past already, there were better things out there.

Thank you.

Well, I did have interest in AO and AoC

and I do have interest in The Secret World..

I just dont have faith in the company behind it.

• DivinefairyDivinefairy Member Posts: 66

But when it releases will you spend your hard earned dollars on a game created by a company such as Funcom?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

But when it releases will you spend your hard earned dollars on a game created by a company such as Funcom?

If you want an answer that you want to hear you gotta talk to a someone who mistrusts Funcom at least as much as you.

As for me, I don't care. If the game is good, I'll pay and play.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Yes gladly. Infact i will buy two CE editions. I had a blast in Age of Conan and i am a huge fan of Anarchy Online.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by KhinRunite

If you want an answer that you want to hear you gotta talk to a someone who mistrusts Funcom at least as much as you.

As for me, I don't care. If the game is good, I'll pay and play.

Exactly.

It costs me $50 to fill my gas tank from just under half so $50 on a game isn't all that much anymore.  Even if I only play the game for a few hours I will get more enjoyment out of it than a couple of movies costing the same thing.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • ibe12ibe12 Member Posts: 35

I don't know much about Funcom as a company but I do have my doubts of them pulling off some of the things their claiming while still making the game fun. I'll probably try it but I am a bit skeptical.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Ofcourse I will..Anarchy Online and later Age Of Conan is one of the better MMO's I have ever played, and I have basically played all of them since the release of Ultima Online.

And yes I was playing both these games at release !!

/junker

This discussion has been closed.