Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on this game?

GandrellGandrell Member Posts: 22

Just wondering if anyone has played this game yet and had any thoughts or comments on the game play,pvp,quests and such? Downloading it now and giving it a try with the key give away so meh, I'll give it a shot.

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

let me know.. id like to know about the game as well! =)

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Downloading now. Client size is just under 700 MB so I am not expecting a graphics masterpiece. However, some reading on the website indicates three factions and RvR.

Also, forums look pretty dead on the official site, and the game looks to be relatively unknown. Still, Ill give it a shot and post back if I find it holds my attention for any reasonable length of time.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

It is the exact same game as regnum online....just New servers or something

i would reccomend playing regnum online because it will have a higher amount of people playing on it

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Just had quick go. Seemed to be a fair few people playing. Seemed decent enough from the size of the download. Didn't get to pvp, quests are pretty standard, U.I was a bit unintuitive by my standards. Not sure if I will be playing but freely admit I did not give it a fair enough crack of the whip. No jump turned me off straite away.....That's how shallow I am. If you are intrested in playing it's not just this site that has codes. Massivley and The Escapist also are and each one gives you a diferent mount that once activated lasts 30 days. So that's three months worth of free mounts. Good luck.

Edit*   Devs and Gm's running around and helping out all comers. That was nice to see.

• OvanyuOvanyu Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Grimula

It is the exact same game as regnum online....just New servers or something

i would reccomend playing regnum online because it will have a higher amount of people playing on it

Yep, we recomended play on the original creators, register at http://www.regnumonlinegame.com/ and this game have a English server (Horus).

Basically, GameSamba picked up the publishing rights to Regnum Online for North America, meaning that there is now a NA server where American and Canadian players will automatically be funneled into upon registration. This may bring new life into the game as GameSamba has already started an advertising push and has plans to make some unnanounced changes (publisher changes typically involve translation and cash shop adjustments, so I wouldn't get too excited). The bad part is that this is probably the final nail in the Horus coffin, which is the original English speaking server for the game, since it will likely not have nearly as many new players registering.

Please do not support this publishers called "GameSamba".

• XciserXciser Member UncommonPosts: 102

I think i would rather try the NA only game, I hate having all the languages I cant understand and it hurts gameplay.  Also new game with new players sounds fun. I will probaby give this game a try.

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

Pay to win games are all ugly, based on same engine/gameplay mechanics.

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Tried it and after about an hour of play, here's my first impressions:

Graphics: The graphics are definitely dated, but they aren't bad for their apparent age. In fact, they have a certain charm. The advantage of graphics like these is you get very solid performance and can even play on a low-end system or get crazy frame rates from a higher end.

Interface: Interface could use some work. There's no on-screen quest reminder, and no XP progress bar that I can find. After getting some useless items off my hot bar, the game put them back after I leveled up. :/ I definitely struggled with the interface the whole time.

Gameplay: The game is quest driven, which is great. It isn't always immediately apparent what to do next, but a bit of poking around got me going again without too much trouble. Combat is okay, but certain skills (I played a Warrior) will only activate if you're practically standing right on top of your target. You also have to manually face your target to attack it (something I don't really like, I prefer auto-facing). Game seems to be aiming at old-school MMO difficulty. My warrior was nearly killed by the goblins you break out of the boxes. You have to manually put yourself into and out of combat mode. I kept putting myself out of combat mode in the middle of a fight at first, but I started adjusting to the idea by the end of my hour.

Second Session?: Yes, I think I'll be logging in again at least one more time. The game has a certain charm to it, runs very smoothly, take up little room on the hard drive, and when I asked myself if I had fun at the end of my test hour the answer was, "Yes".

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Regnum online = Realms online 

They are BOTH listed .WHY?

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by pupurun

Well i think you answered your own ??????? they have diff. names...

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

This game has been great when I played Regnum and no it is not pay to win as some have stated it has stuff in the store that speeds up lvling and pots all stuff that can be got in game. So yeah its a fun game its graphics are a little dated but they just did a graphics update last year and brought shading and more texture quality to the game. This game is for the most part about PvP or RvRvR mostly and has some good features for it like castle control and realm control. The only thing I didnt like was the UI It feels old like EQ1 when launched old and has never really been updated sence release of Regnum. As for quests they have sense release added alot at release there might have been 30 or 40 per starting area and sense release they added allot.

The thing I think allot of players will like is it has RvRvR like DAoC and WAR but done a little better in a sense because its a open world and not broken into zones and the fact theres no ture battle grounds after you leave your regions main area you enter total open PvP and that kinda makes it a challenge to lvl in some areas and the fact there is 3 factions fighting for control of the whole pvp area makes it fun. So if you like DAoC or WAR and want some free to play PvP RvR action this has it and more. It even has world bosses that if you get a big enough group are really fun to bring down.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

I do hope a mod from mmorpg gives us an answer about this...

Originally posted by ray12k

They are the EXACT SAME GAME.Why the second listing from mmorpg?

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

No need to post in CAPS and bright letters.  It is a different publisher that bought rights to the game.  They changed the name and are planning to make UI changes as well.  The core game will be the same, but it is the same as many Asian FTP games getting gobbled up by NA publishers.

I played Regnum for a few months last year.  I ultimately quit because I got bored in the lower levels with no one around.  Already there are plenty of people I can see on these servers.  If anything maybe it will bring some new life.  I had fun last night.  Because I already knew the intro quest for Alsius I was able to get to level 10 in a couple hours and choose my new class. 

Quest log tracker - There is one to the guy that missed it.  Beside your hotbar is a set of icons for inventory, spells, character sheet, and QUEST Tracker.  If you click on quest tracker icon it will open and you can scroll through a list of quest. 

XP bar - look above your hotbar.  Do you see a fuzzy blue glow?  That is the xp bar.  Kinda crappy but it moves across the screen as you gain xp.

GameSamba GMs were talking in realm chat last night.  I'm assuming each Realm must have their own set of GMs, b/c the Alsuis realm had 2 that were active in chat all night.  I did pick up a couple changes they mentioned as coming soon.  They are introducing a new mini-map with icons instead of the current mini-map which is just a compass.  They said they had about 5 other changes but we waiting to see if anyone asked about them before just mentioning them.  I didn't stick around in chat to see what those might have been.

The bad:  Is the game perfect, far from it.  Things that annoy me.  Mob leashing - if you stand near the edge of their leash you can attack them from range and they will just run back and forth without hitting you.  This doesn't happen with all mobs, but if you find a group that follow this pattern you can easily level of them without worry.  No jumping.  For a game modeled after DAOC you expect to be able to jump.  Getting stuck in terrain and having to use the "Die" button sucks.  They put the button in just for that reason.  Plenty of places you could just jump out if it was available.  Tab target would be nice.

The good:  Now to end with things I do like.  Old school mmo feel to it.  This is a good thing for me.  You have to read the quest log to tell where to go.  There aren't glowly lines on your screen.  RvRvR - Daoc had it right with 3 realms and this game copies that perfectly.  In fact, they even one up.  One thing I always wanted in Daoc was the ability to invade home realms.  Here you can actually invade the home realms.  There is a timer so enemy realms cannot inifinetly stay in your home zones.  It adds a little more reason to go out and protect your keeps.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

would give it a go, if they just send me confirmation email about account creation.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

well how's the gameplay ? what is combat system looks and feels like?

• DhaemanDhaeman Member Posts: 531

Originally posted by m0lly

would give it a go, if they just send me confirmation email about account creation.

Did you check your spam folder? That's where it went for me.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by ray12k

They are the EXACT SAME GAME.Why the second listing from mmorpg?

Same reason 4Story and Gates of Andaron are both listed. And Dekaron and 2Moons, before one died. Same game, different region, different publishers.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Hmm seems their Status:2011 is a bit misleading, here i thought we ahd a new game on the list.

I remember trying this game years ago and disliking its bland graphics, obnoxious controls, and its server that was suppose to be english speaking, but seemed to have more non english speakers.

It plays diffrently, but from what i can remember it was just like any old mmorpg of its time, just with fustrating controls and UI.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

My first MMORPG was DAoC. Realms Online has some of its charm. I only play casually, so I can only give my opinion as someone who plays only several hours a week, but over this past week I've leveled up to level six, which can be done in a matter of hours if you're new to the game, and probably a lot less if you're not new and already understand the UI and the rest of the mechanics.

The games graphics and soundtrack gives this game the old school MMO charm, much like DAoC did. The games animations is more fluid than DAoC's and the game is solo quest centic so far, but the quests actually aren't that bad. I burnt out on RIFTS quests much sooner than the time I've played Realms Online if that means anything.

Overall, I think this game is worth looking into. Give the game an hour or two before quitting though, because it takes about an hour before you gain your orientation and understanding of the UI and mechanics.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

Originally posted by Gandrell

Just wondering if anyone has played this game yet and had any thoughts or comments on the game play,pvp,quests and such? Downloading it now and giving it a try with the key give away so meh, I'll give it a shot.

im new to mmorpg.com forums but ive played Realms Online (RO) for about 6 weeks. I really like this game so that's why Im posting. I'm about level 40 in game and play on Raven (Nth American) server.

i've played quite a few mmos but the No.1 reason I like RO is because it is mainly all faction/team pvp. That means after about level 25 or so, about 70%+ of my in game time is spent fighting other human players. Above level 40 it rises to about 80%-90% of your time. Most everyone in game prefers killing real human players rather than monsters. So the grinding with monsters is mainly just for you to test out skills and attack combos. Levelling is pretty fast (I actually levelled to 25 in about a week about 4-5 hours a day). I actually levelled another character to level 25 on the Horus server.

I found the realm/faction pvp pretty intense. I play a hunter in game and this isa stealth assassin type so I enjoy stalking around and doing "real " hunting. very often I will come on my target unawares and have to puzzle out how I can kill him. Usually the hunter class is weak in 1v1 so it takes quite a bit of figuring out. Big team battles occur about 10+ times a day because people regularly raid to take forts and very often you have to run to defend yours.

Quests - For me the quests are pretty much cookie cutter do this take this there and back type. But there is a storyline which people seem to like (i didnt need to read it to do it much). Most of the quests are based on finding the right NPC but since all the right one is located nearby (or the clue is given quite clearly) its quite easy to find. Each realm has different quests so once you know one realm's quests, its super fast to level in that realm.

Pvp is pretty brutal and there is no mercy as enemy players will kill you on sight or do worse (usually stalk or try to deceive or klure u into a trap). Raven has a lot of GMs on so they provide a lot of xp boosts and fun events. However, I think Horus is also a nice server because its quieter and there are some very awesome veterans there. 

So overall hope you guys try it out. The oly other game I know which has free faction pvp whjich is easy to get into is Aika Online - I didnt like Aika becaue the gfx was too heavy. RO can have really big combat and everything is clear as you nail ur opponent. But I think Aika will struggle. I haven't tried GUildWars but since RO is free and has, for me, solid team pvp im fine with it.

hope that helps!

feel free to ask questions :P

edit: I also noticed DAOC has some free server shards going under the mod name Dawn of Light here

http://www.dolserver.net/storm/d2/

im not sure what this free DAOC islike but it looks quite nice. so maybe its also worth trying. (however i like that RO is officially run as a commercial game and the GMs in RO are pretty keen to support you)