Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Sony servers temporarily shut down....

AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
I was among the many trying to log in all morning. After doing some researching, Sony has temporarily shut down all of its servers (including the forums) to work on a issue they felt was related to the recent PSN security breach. This is for those of us that were unaware or wondering what was going on. Article below.

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/02/6570322-sony-online-entertainment-servers-shut-down-due-to-issue

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Thanks!

Beats the lack of information coming outta SOE.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

lol you folks just now saw this? if you had read on the PSN webpage they ahve been giving updates over the last week as to whats going on and going to happen etc.  if you cannot play anything thats online on your platform best bet is check the platforms website:).

• InkpuppetInkpuppet Member Posts: 38

I was reading up on it from this:

http://www.bluefrost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=364&p=753#p753

Sounds like someone pee'd in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by wayubb

lol you folks just now saw this? if you had read on the PSN webpage they ahve been giving updates over the last week as to whats going on and going to happen etc.  if you cannot play anything thats online on your platform best bet is check the platforms website:).

This isn't about PSN, it's SOE. PSN falls under SCE, SOE is a seperate division. Linda Carlson claimed last week that SOE had NOT been compromised, so yeah, this is news to me (and other SOE customers who paid close attention).

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by Inkpuppet
    I was reading up on it from this:
    http://www.bluefrost.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=364&p=753#p753
    Sounds like someone pee'd in the wrong bowl of cheerios.

Lovely. Looks like SOE MMOs, websites, and services will be done for days.

I just got off the phone with SOE customer service. I called to switch out cards to minimize any damage from future hacks of SOE while I shut down the card I had been using. SOE phone rep told me they don't have any access to the customer service accounts at all, so they could not help me get the cards switched out. Everything is locked down.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by wayubb

yea, I don't own a PS3. I play on the PC and all of the DCUO PC website was shut down also.
  • Seeker728Seeker728 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Yeah, came as a surprise to me too, I knew about the PSN hack, but their reassurances of security breaches not bleeding over to the PC market was exactly as the Fed telling people not to worry, everything is under control, when they have no effing clue what to do and don't want to deal with the fallout.

I'll spare you my personal history with SOE, lets just say that I loathe them as a company after their arrogance critted me for upteen damage 2 years after they took over EQ.  I wouldn't touch anything of theirs, not even PS systems, and yes, I'm annoyed to no end that they won the HD format war.  I ended my boycot with DCUO because in this post WoW era, despite having a lot the same, it was different enough that I grudingly subbed for 3 months after my 30 day trial.  I did not enable auto renewing because I forsaw problems which my watchful eye in SOE's direction told me, they were going to screw up more than deliver.  Bugs happen and all that, but population was becoming a progressive bigger problem and I promised myself not to renew if I didn't see some sort of plan from them about it.

Now this.  SOE should stand for Sloppy Online Enterprises.  Data, personal data where name, address, security questions and financial information are all neatly bundled together should be treated with more care than a newborn.  This is the holy grail of online theives, with it they can go shopping and sell identities and enjoy life as a king while wrecking other lives.  In this day and age of post 9-11 you are now presumed guilty unless proven innocent...

(I'll spare you that rant as well, and it isn't the province of the paranoid--here's a too long video that drives the point home http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4097602514885833865# and that's just regarding regular criminal investigations, anything related to Fed level is 10x worse)

...so imagine the pure hell a victim of identity theft goes through when suddenly their bank accounts are zero, they have 50+k in credit card debt, register for new driver's liscense, cell phones, etc.  Yes its that huge, yes its that unforgiveable, and SOE is famous for two things, arrogance, and cutting corners.  That resub now will not happen, nor will there ever again be a benefit of the doubt towards Sony in general.  This is how they handled their security, smoking their cigars and sneering at us their consumers, as their peasants.

Do I sound angry?  Bitter?  Crazy?  Maybe, but that's because I'm aware first hand what can be done with this data.  My Ex-wife was the victim of such identity theft and it is pure hell to go through.  It takes months if not years of constant hassle and expense to clear your name, and depending on what crimes are committed with your stolen name, you are forever affected by it as a 'possible terrorist suspect'.  Think about that for a minute, just think about it, and if that doesn't get your blood pressure up enough to cut them out of your life, you're far too attached to your past times and don't have nearly enough regard for how very precious your identity is, or just how badly your life can be wrecked by criminals when they possess it.  "Got nothing to hide, I did nothing wrong" doesn't work, you got to prove you did nothing wrong, and SOE?  They're not going to pay your lawyer fees.

As a added note.  After reading this bit of news this morning, i contacted my CC company with whom I subbed my account with and told them my concerns and that I wished for a new number to be issued.  If any of you have used a CC, I strongly suggest you do the same.  A bit of hassle?  Yes, but ounce of prevention and all that.

Even peace may be purchased at too high a price, and the only time you are completely safe is when you lie in the grave.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Since there is already a News item on this, Ill be locking this thread.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.