Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sorry, but I just had to laugh at this!

"We have heard your concerns about queue times on the servers. This game is about people playing and fighting together so we feel your pain. Sometime in the next month, we are going to test new technology to meld all of our US and European PC and PS3 servers into four Super-Servers, one for each platform in each region."

New technology?  I think it's called  "We're shutting down 15 servers and going down to the remaining four because of lack of players".

Will this bring some people back?  Sure.  But with only one PC server for the U.S. region, guess what happens to the PvPrs and non-PvPrs?  Yep. On the same server.  Doing this will both chase away the hardcore pvp players because it will be pvp areas instead of everywhere and it will chase away the non-pvprs because the game has pvp mixed in.

How long before this game goes free to play with a cash shop? 

Comments

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Pretty soon if what you say is true.
    Consolidating all PC users from both PvE and PvP servers into one is a pretty surefire indication of game death. If not because of the lack of players but death caused by friction between the groups.

Is the new server going to be PvE or PvP? I guess it won't matter because they stand to lose half of their subscribers either way with this move.

Another game ruined by $OE.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

DC has a flag system on PVE servers. You flag yourself attackable. Mixing the PVE/PVP servers will be no hit to PVPERS other then  maybe some griefers.

Personally I love the PVP setup in DC. They just really need more open world objectives and regional control.

This game WILL tank if all they do is add a instance/mini here and there (Like AoC).

Open world persistant sandbox with tools to enjoy please.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

That is funny, if they were worried about que times they would be adding servers, not getting rid of them.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Well theyve already changed hardware and increased server capacity in the past. And maybe youre a bit out of the loop, but hardware is constantly improving to the point where they very well could be moving all of their servers into one server capable of handling the load of all of them combined. We actually have gone through much of the same at my own company lately, upgrading to much better hardware, much better stability, much bigger loads, etc.

I think your post is pretty damn funny though. Judging by what you posted, werent you complaining to them about having long queue times (which woul dbe becaus ethe server is full)? Yet then you turn and claim the game is dying and servers are shutting down. Little bit of contradicting yourself there?

The only somewhat valid point you make is the PvP vs non-PvP thing, but that can be solved easily in various ways.

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142

To those misunderstanding the queue times .  .  .

The long queue times are NOT queues to log into the game. It's the queues to get into PvP Arenas and PvE Instances that are NEEDED to grind the marks at Endgame for gear.

It's queue times ala the queues WoW has for Dungeon Finder.

On the average server, you can be waiting for a queue to pop for over an hour. This comes down to 2 things:

1) An extremely low population on all servers.

2) Many of the remaining players simply going a "guild or die" approach. Join a guild and run as a pre-made, or suffer.

The ENTIRE endgame revolves around Duos (2 man instanced versions of boss fights you had while levelling), Hard Mode Alerts (more difficult versions of the 4-man instances you did while levelling), Raids (8 man instances, such as Kahndaq and Batcave Parts 1-3). Unless you are in an active league (and they are becoming few and far between), using the queue system is your only real option.

So, as you wait for the instance-queue to pop at endgame, you have very little to do besides:

1) Stand around the Watchtower/Hall of Doom twiddling your thumbs.

2) Run around the city collecting pretty glowies.

3) Mess around with a "Solo Challenge", which is nothing more than a level 30 version of a boss fight you had while levelling (except for Catwoman and Penguin, which are new).

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It is my sincere convinction that DCU is beyond repair. They'd have to add 5-10 times as much content, and really NO company could manage that. I thoroughly enjoyed what was there. But there just isn't enough content. And there are not enough super casual gamer who play Chris Cao's mentioned 5 hours per week in a complex game like this. I pretty much expect it to be shut down in a year. Or be on necromantic mode like Vanguard.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Elikal

It is my sincere convinction that DCU is beyond repair. They'd have to add 5-10 times as much content, and really NO company could manage that. I thoroughly enjoyed what was there. But there just isn't enough content. And there are not enough super casual gamer who play Chris Cao's mentioned 5 hours per week in a complex game like this. I pretty much expect it to be shut down in a year. Or be on necromantic mode like Vanguard.

Aaaw... I still have a secret hope for CO and STO for doing well or be small but healthy, fun little MMO's, with CO being F2P and having its own little niche and STO with its continuing episodes and things like the Foundry. Who knows, with its strong core gameplay they've a foundation for DCUO as well to slowly build further upon, to find its own small but thriving niche image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

This is actually a cool thing, it may bring in more players if they can see they can actually enjoy the game instead of sit around for 30+ mins trying to get into a group or pvp.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

PS3's lovely issues can't be helping the retention rate. lol.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Master-NalaMaster-Nala Member UncommonPosts: 37

I think they should have went F2P or Buy to Play first (e.g. Guild Wars model) first before doing a merge.   And dropping a bomb like that without telling people how they are going to handle PvE v. PvP.  Sigh... SOE makes it hard to be a fan. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

SOE doesn't look very healthy right now with all the layoffs and now the network hack (apparently also affecting PC SOE servers as well).

Now I need to go check my accounts to ensure I have all my CC info removed.

Just saw this from my local newspaper
    http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Personal+data+millions+risk+Sony+network+hacked/4680678/story.html

• e0r23e0r23 Member Posts: 9

the pvp / pve issue could be handled pretty easily to keep everyone happy.

many games already feature multiple instances of the same zone.

just copy the same basic thing, except make 1 zone for pvp, and 1 zone for pve.

when you leave your HQ a little pop up comes up where you select between:

Metropolis PVE

Metropolis PVP

then everyone is happy playing in their pvp or pve world without interference from the other.

it would also allow the entire playerbase to group together for things like raids, alerts, arenas, or the various other instanced activities to do at max level.

there is no reason they have to force people to play in a pve or pvp land if they dont want to. the technology has been out for many years to give people the exact world they want while still having everyone on the super-server.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

This is probably due to the overwhelming success of DCUO.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by TUX426
    This is probably due to the overwhelming success of DCUO.

^ :D

• TheNinjaboyTheNinjaboy Member Posts: 243

You guys are misunderstanding the announcement by RadarX (although it was poorly written)

This is what they're doing -

1 US PC - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

1 US PS3 - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

1 EU PC - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

1 EU PS3 - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

Sony is NOT merging any servers in the regular sense of a merger.

Sony is only merging the QUEUES to a SUPERSERVER that will contain all the instances launched by the regular servers.

PvP servers will NOT be merged with PvE servers and vice versa.

At this point in time all EXISTING SERVERS WILL REMAIN AS IS.

I'm speculating based on my close experience with the game that the population on the PC side is still healthy enough to support 2 High Pop US servers and 2 Medium pop US servers if they actually did do a real merger. I'm guessing 1 PvP High / 1 PvP Med and 1 PvE High and 1 PvE medium.

A real merger is the way to go imho but meh this will work too for now.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Oh thats really awesome. That really is a super server then. Im impressed!

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

That is funny, if they were worried about que times they would be adding servers, not getting rid of them.

whats funny is that games ussually have long que times because its always full.... in DCU its the total opposite.... theres always long que times because its empty. Thats why they will add the "new system" of super servers...... *cough* server merge *cough*

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

whats funny is that games ussually have long que times because its always full.... in DCU its the total opposite.... theres always long que times because its empty. Thats why they will add the "new system" of super servers...... *cough* server merge *cough*

/facepalm

It is NOT a server merger.

They are ADDING servers aka "SUPERSERVERS" to service QUEUE INSTANCES from all the EXISTING servers.

The existing servers will remain as is for now and the forseeable future.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by TheNinjaboy

You guys are misunderstanding the announcement by RadarX (although it was poorly written)

This is what they're doing -

1 US PC - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

1 US PS3 - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

1 EU PC - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

1 EU PS3 - QUEUE Instance "SuperServer"

Sony is NOT merging any servers in the regular sense of a merger.

Sony is only merging the QUEUES to a SUPERSERVER that will contain all the instances launched by the regular servers.

PvP servers will NOT be merged with PvE servers and vice versa.

At this point in time all EXISTING SERVERS WILL REMAIN AS IS.

I'm speculating based on my close experience with the game that the population on the PC side is still healthy enough to support 2 High Pop US servers and 2 Medium pop US servers if they actually did do a real merger. I'm guessing 1 PvP High / 1 PvP Med and 1 PvE High and 1 PvE medium.

A real merger is the way to go imho but meh this will work too for now.

since your said you are speculating i will speculate too...

i believe they will merge this way:

all US PC servers into 1 (super server)

all US PS3 servers into 1 (super server)

all EU PC servers into 1 (super server)

all EU PS3 servers into 1 (super server)

of course anyone can be wrong here.... and this would automatically add the instance queue merge you suggested :)

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

Ninjaboy, where are you drawing your conclusions from?

Here is the text of the announcement:

We have heard your concerns about queue times on the servers. This game is about people playing and fighting together so we feel your pain. Sometime in the next month, we are going to test new technology to meld all of our US and European PC and PS3 servers into four Super-Servers, one for each platform in each region. This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics. We are hoping to get this on our PC Test Server to start testing, again, sometime in the next month and then will tune it up for the PS3 platform as well. As soon as we know more about testing and timing we will let you know. But, believe this – it is one of our top priorities. Again, thanks for your patience, we appreciate your support.

***********************************************************************************

I have highlighted the relevant bit.

This does not, to me, say they are simply creating instance super servers. This sounds exactly like I, and everyone else, has taken it: Server merge.

It was hashed out logically on the DCUO forums in one of my replies but here is the deal:

#1. They will not merge PvP servers with PvE and vice versa. It's absolutely not going to happen 100% guarantee without question.

#2. He used the term "meld" and not merge while mention the following queue statement in #3 immediately after the "meld" statement.

#3. This statement is the only statement released that was specific and not ambigous regarding how gameplay would be affected - "This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics".

#4. There is no mention of merging, world pvp / pve impact, character names, etc. etc.

#5. MONEY. Sony wants people to PAY for character transfers to other servers when that feature becomes available.

The statement RadarX issued has nothing to do with an actual merger outside of "melding" the servers's QUEUE system together on a "SUPERSERVER".

This is the only logical conclusion that we can come to based on the information released by RadarX.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean at sometime they might not consolidate some of their servers however I think they will open up character transfers first to make MONEY before they do a FREEBIE server merge.

This statement here: "Sometime in the next month, we are going to test new technology to *MELD* all of our US and European PC and PS3 servers into four Super-Servers, one for each platform in each region. This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics."

Sony is ONLY mentioning queue impact and of course they will absolutely *NOT* merge PvE with PvP servers.

1 PC US - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

1 PS3 US - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

1 PC EU - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

1 PS3 EU - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

After I posted this info overwhelmingly everyone agreed that this is the most logical conclusion that can come from RadarX post.

It does make sense although RadarX should have clarified what he meant by Superserver or at least put "QUEUE" before or after the term.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

I've watched this game from a distance throughout it's run and I don't think f2p is an option here at all. This game is quickly going the way of Tabula Rasa and will likely be shut down altogether unless the ps2 side of things manages to actually sustain its remaining population, which seems unlikely.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

Originally posted by Joarnaj

I've watched this game from a distance throughout it's run and I don't think f2p is an option here at all. This game is quickly going the way of Tabula Rasa and will likely be shut down altogether unless the ps2 side of things manages to actually sustain its remaining population, which seems unlikely.

Nah. Too much invested in it and even if it's dead, it adds a "new" title to Station Pass. DCUO will last as long as SOE does...SOE is more likely to go the way of Tabula Rasa than this single game is.

I read it as 26 servers to 4 servers, not some central server you 'que' into. The "technology" they've been working on is likely just a way to bring all the characters over.

Originally posted by TheNinjaboy

It was hashed out logically on the DCUO forums in one of my replies but here is the deal:

#1. They will not merge PvP servers with PvE and vice versa. It's absolutely not going to happen 100% guarantee without question.

#2. He used the term "meld" and not merge while mention the following queue statement in #3 immediately after the "meld" statement.

#3. This statement is the only statement released that was specific and not ambigous regarding how gameplay would be affected - "This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics".

#4. There is no mention of merging, world pvp / pve impact, character names, etc. etc.

#5. MONEY. Sony wants people to PAY for character transfers to other servers when that feature becomes available.

The statement RadarX issued has nothing to do with an actual merger outside of "melding" the servers's QUEUE system together on a "SUPERSERVER".

This is the only logical conclusion that we can come to based on the information released by RadarX.

Keep in mind that this doesn't mean at sometime they might not consolidate some of their servers however I think they will open up character transfers first to make MONEY before they do a FREEBIE server merge.

This statement here: "Sometime in the next month, we are going to test new technology to *MELD* all of our US and European PC and PS3 servers into four Super-Servers, one for each platform in each region. This will allow for more opportunities to queue and participate in other group related game mechanics."

Sony is ONLY mentioning queue impact and of course they will absolutely *NOT* merge PvE with PvP servers.

1 PC US - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

1 PS3 US - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

1 PC EU - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

1 PS3 EU - SUPERSERVER for Queue Instances

After I posted this info overwhelmingly everyone agreed that this is the most logical conclusion that can come from RadarX post.

It does make sense although RadarX should have clarified what he meant by Superserver or at least put "QUEUE" before or after the term.

You're only reading one word of his description. If all it is is a place to "que" as a group, why does he specifically mention AND other stuff? What "other stuff" does he mean?

queue and participate in other group related game mechanics

The end of that line is why I think you're incorrect - "and participate in other group related game mechanics"

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

NinjaBoy has the most logical explanation of what the words SHOULD mean.

However, that doesn't mean its %100 that SOE is going to be logical with their PR.  8)

i hope they do a traditional server merge soon after this superserver stuff.  So the open world stuff will be highly populated.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------