Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play...Need some help...

csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Ok, so I finished patching everything last night and it was getting late to play. So this morning when I load up the launcher and tried to log in I get the message - Operation Timed Out.

Never got this before and was wondering if anyone else is getting it? Also does it have anything to do with the hackers recently? I was able to subscribed yesterday, now the whole website is down and cant look through their support system. Any help would be great!

Comments

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by csthao
    Ok, so I finished patching everything last night and it was getting late to play. So this morning when I load up the launcher and tried to log in I get the message - Operation Timed Out.
    Never got this before and was wondering if anyone else is getting it? Also does it have anything to do with the hackers recently? I was able to subscribed yesterday, now the whole website is down and cant look through their support system. Any help would be great!

Everquest Is Offline, as is EQ2, SWG, VG, and all other SOE games. All SOE websites have a maintenance message posted.

It's not you. There is nothing we Players can do about it. Wait until later today to try to get EQ to connect to login server, maybe by then SOE will have everything back up.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i heard SOE online games are also down now... except DCUO cos i played last night (tho i play it on stean)

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

The shole SOE network is down now. All thanks to the hackers 2 weeks ago - it was not only the PSN that got compromised :(

Everquest is a SOE Online game, so yes, it's all down.

"I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Aww crap!

I woke up late for work and called in today because I was trying to finish up patching and now I cant play on my "sick" day off lol. Thats a shame! I suppose I'll just have to wait it out. Thanks for replying guys.

• kutwunce4444kutwunce4444 Member Posts: 5

probably a dumb question but i'll ask anyways.  Is there an estimated time that this will be resolved?  thanks!

• ardziuardziu Member UncommonPosts: 1

nope there is not.

But.. well.., you know, it will be a month, just like psn network :P

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by csthao

Aww crap!

I woke up late for work and called in today because I was trying to finish up patching and now I cant play on my "sick" day off lol. Thats a shame! I suppose I'll just have to wait it out. Thanks for replying guys.

Okay guys. Looks like i've found the reason why SOE is brought down

YOU SIR NEED TO GO BACK TO WORK ASAP :P

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

This is on soe.com:

Dear Valued SOE Customers,

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).

We apologize for any inconvenience and greatly appreciate your patience.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

I know I shouldnt expect much but any type of simple update would be great.  anything is better than nothing.  

Relax... Breathe...Stretch....Relax...

Oh sorry, you all weren't supposed to hear that...

From soe.com, not good at all:

==

Customer Service Notification

May 2, 2011

Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer:

Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems.  We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack.   Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained - we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised.   It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.  

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:

1)         Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;

2)         Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3)         Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking.   When SOE's services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.   We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus.   To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below.   At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name.   This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name.   Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity.   As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file.   Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013

Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft.   Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC.   For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov.   For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience.   Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1 (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment LLC

So..... when will services be back up?  mk, thanks!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by kutwunce4444

How do you expect anyone here to know?

Info genies?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

by doing the same thing im doing.  researching and finding any new updates to the situation.  Was just being silly.  Am not expecting this anytime soon.  Just conversing!

It won't be anytime soon, so yeah stop sitting there waiting to hop on and get dragon/named kills image

• GenreNinjaGenreNinja Member CommonPosts: 159

*sniffle / tear* Ugh... Now I have to face real life -.- *crawls in corner* I feel safer here...

---

Live a life less ordinary.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by kutwunce4444

How do you expect anyone here to know?

Info genies?

A more important question would be, should we all be worried about our privacy being violated.

Work hard Play Harder

• Originally posted by ardziu

nope there is not.

But.. well.., you know, it will be a month, just like psn network :P

hehehe playstation network network :P

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Well, somehow I'm not surprised this came from SOE. Notorious for not giving a damn about us customers. Is it any wonder they didn't go above and beyond to protect our assets?

TIP:

I went ahead and signed up for the fraud alert. Not that I think it will do any good, because people who approve credit are paid of commision of approving, not collecting. Anyways, I requested Experian issue a fraud alert, and they claimed they sent the request to the other two big boys, as well. Not sure if they other guys offer that, too.

At least there's a pretty good Boston vs Philly hockey playoff game going on right now.  That'll do me for another... hour perhaps.

Just saw this.  It wont be up tonight.  now maybe to catch up on some much needed sleep!  

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=26253

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Options, options... City of Heroes works. So does the flightless-bird edition of SWG. Maybe there's a free week on the old DAoC account... I got an email about one on the old WoW trial account, not that I even have that installed anymore. OK, I guess I'm not in danger of MMO withdrawl.