Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE is down

komarrkomarr Member UncommonPosts: 214

I've been playing EQ2 lately.  I couldn't log in this morning, and went to check the official website.  I found the following placeholder page for not on;y the EQ2 page, but soe.com and other SOE games as well.  DCUO, etc down as well?

The placeholder page quote:

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

~Omar Khayyam

Comments

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

Didnt they fire a bunch of people a while back? Wonder if any of them where I.T. people.   ; )

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Dang that stinks i guess that the hackers did some work lol

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Yes every link I have to SOE is down, Station Launcher is unconnected to login servers for the MMOs, looks like SOE is in the Rez circle.

Now I am getting seriously worried. This is not good.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Gardavil2

Yes every link I have to SOE is down, Station Launcher is unconnected to login servers for the MMOs, looks like SOE is in the Rez circle.

I asked on twitter is we had to change out SOE station password. No reply at the time. Now I'm positive we have to change it. As well as cancel craditcards and ask for new ones. It would not surprise me if the PSN hack also fully affected the SOE data. In the end, 2 games are shared on PS3 and PC and link their data from the PSN to SOE...

Originally posted by Reizla

I asked on twitter is we had to change out SOE station password. No reply at the time. Now I'm positive we have to change it. As well as cancel craditcards and ask for new ones. It would not surprise me if the PSN hack also fully affected the SOE data. In the end, 2 games are shared on PS3 and PC and link their data from the PSN to SOE...

Problem is I attempted to access Station Account Management this morning to change password and change CC info and access to that site is down as well. No changing anything now, I should have done it this past weekend.

I do not have access to Twitter or Facebook so if SOE is communicating thru that I am screwed. SOE needs to get their websites back up.

"I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Might have something to do with Sony totally rebuilding their PS3 networks, in case you havn't heard someone hacked into that and were able to gain access to every single credit card info attached to PS3 accounts.

So maybe they just decided to revamp security acrossed the board.

I have been following that, but that should have been handled and done by last Friday at the latest.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

In other words its entirely possible the personal info of the SOE customers was at risk or already compromised.

Problem is I attempted to access Station Account Management this morning to change password and change CC info and access to that site is down as well. No changing anything now, I should have done it this past weekend.

I do not have access to Twitter or Facebook so if SOE is communicating thru that I am screwed. SOE needs to get their websites back up.

I didn't think of changing my PW yet until SOE would mention a need for it. About CC data (or other kind of payment information), my account has none stored on it since ...well... SOE screwed my account and I don't have to pay a dime for it for the last half year :p If they find the bug, I'll drop timecards there because I cen get those extremely cheap on the net ;-)

About Twitter / Facebook. Whenever I hear something, I'll drop the info on this tread to inform you and the others who don't use these social media.

Originally posted by Rekindle
    In other words its entirely possible the personal info of the SOE customers was at risk or already compromised.

I wouldn't say "possible", I would say "highly probable".

Years ago I had this awful gut feeling that *if* a Gaming Corporation ever integrated and connected it's PC based games and it's Console based games on the internet into one network that it would be potentially VERY risky. Many people said in response to my posts that that was the logical outcome and growth of the industry.

I should have listened to my gut.

I didn't think of changing my PW yet until SOE would mention a need for it. About CC data (or other kind of payment information), my account has none stored on it since ...well... SOE screwed my account and I don't have to pay a dime for it for the last half year :p If they find the bug, I'll drop timecards there because I cen get those extremely cheap on the net ;-)
    About Twitter / Facebook. Whenever I hear something, I'll drop the info on this tread to inform you and the others who don't use these social media.

I would use timecards if I could get them, they are not available where I live (Blizzard OWNS the retail stores where I live I swear).

Thanks for being willing to help us "non-social" types to stay connected.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I think you would have heard something by now if that were the case.

They released a 'your info was/is at risk' type of notice this past week reguarding the PS3 situation, and held a press conference over the weekend as to what they are doing and are prepared to do if you are a victim of fraud, along with how long it should take to get everything back in a secure and working order (end of May.. but that is for PS3 services of course).

The focus seems to be centered around the PS3 side of Sony, so I think non-PS3 SOE customers are in the clear if they havn't sent out any notice yet.

But I am just some person on the internet, and not a Sony rep, so take that for what it is :P

I would use timecards if I could get them, they are not available where I live (Blizzard OWNS the retail stores where I live I swear).

Thanks for being willing to help us "non-social" types to stay connected.

Yeah, no (physical) timecards for SOE in Holland either. Even NCSoft are hard to find, but are here, and alls tored carry Blizzard (of course...)

I do buy my SOE timecards on http://www.hotcdkey.com. They cost me only € 10.30 while a normal monthly subscription is €13. They'll send you the code (actual scan) by eMail very fast. *sorry for the advertising here*

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

http://www.gamecards.eu/ is also another link.i used them before you get a scanned card in under 1 hr .

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Originally posted by just2duh

They released a 'your info was/is at risk' type of notice this past week reguarding the PS3 situation, and held a press conference over the weekend as to what they are doing and are prepared to do if you are a victim of fraud, along with how long it should take to get everything back in a secure and working order (end of May.. but that is for PS3 services of course).

The focus seems to be centered around the PS3 side of Sony, so I think non-PS3 SOE customers are in the clear if they havn't sent out any notice yet.

But I am just some person on the internet, and not a Sony rep, so take that for what it is :P

They probably called for an examination of their entire customer facing infrastructure and realized their SOE customers were being hosted with the same crap practices.

This is very shoddy.  To have your credit card numbers and the like stored in clear text by a company horrible. To think an enterprise as big as Sony didnt have this together before this is a MAJOR wakeup call for this cat.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

They probably called for an examination of their entire customer facing infrastructure and realized their SOE customers were being hosted with the same crap practices.

This is very shoddy.  To have your credit card numbers and the like stored in clear text by a company horrible. To think an enterprise as big as Sony didnt have this together before this is a MAJOR wakeup call for this cat.

Everything will not change until its already too late, I'm sure you guys heard something similar to this. They relied on their current security so much that they thought it wasn't necessary. I bet this will be a learning experience for SoE and ALL other gaming companies. If they dont learn from this mistake and change, then they will suffer just like SoE.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

This entire "SOE is down" is unacceptable. There are no "IF, Buts or When" about the whole matter. They want to talk about SECURITY and EXCUSES....then it trruly means they are not worthy of anyones money or business. Entire DIVISIONS of personnel exist to draw up security plans and protect people from day one. Sometimes a breach occurs, but to bring down the ENTIRE SYSTEM and start making claims...This is EXACTLY why such people exist, to prevent the WORSE-CASE scenario from occuring. 

SOE has failed. 

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Credit card data was encrypted for PSN, but not account names, email adresses and other details.

The reason the SOE services are down are most likely because they are somehow linked to PSN, maybe share some of databases or something.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Never had so many problems with one company (SOE) especially when it comes to EQ2X - they are verging on complete incompetence when it comes to EQ2X IMHO. Servers down for 24h or more on a weekly basis.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

Anyone heard a time frame of how long this is going to take?

Originally posted by dismantled

Anyone heard a time frame of how long this is going to take?

The maintenance announce tells us "Later today (Monday)". Since the while thing went down about 6-7 hours ago, they still have 18 hours left to inform us... >:(

• ZenoLocZenoLoc Member UncommonPosts: 71

Is there any way I can blame this on the NGE?  image

• DismantledDismantled Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by ZenoLoc

3 pages in and now this is mentioned? You guys are starting to slip.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

do not worry friends!   I'm sure they will compensate us again by offering to sell us station cash!

if encrypted data is safe from hackers..couldnt they fix this by encrypting EVERYTHING?  user names, passwords, addresses etc?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• fjcastelfjcastel Member Posts: 127

Originally posted by ZenoLoc

HAHA yeah i wil blame that too :)

and here is another posible reason why it went down.

the truth is SoE was secretly run by Osama Bin Landen and now that he is dead well so does their servers ....

im just saying

This discussion has been closed.