Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Q/A Article

2»

Comments

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by jukinru

Yep that's how I see it MumboJumbo. I think what is causing the confusion is one guys says 4 giant battlefields to fight over and the other guys says 4 large maps.  So they are either talking about the same 4 maps or its as mumbo and I have said. 1 battlefield chosen from 4 kinds at the begining of the week with each battlefield made up of 4 zones.

Edit: I am personaly hoping for 4 battlefields that have a home zone for each server and one middle ground. This means you won't be fighting over the same maps every week.

It says that 4 maps are available all time so you can just switch to next map if you don't like current. Does it mean that its always same server against same servers in all 4 maps or different servers in all maps, it doesn't say. If its same servers on all 4 maps then tactics play bigger role since rallying people to certain map would give advantage in terms of players.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Sasami

Originally posted by jukinru

Yep that's how I see it MumboJumbo. I think what is causing the confusion is one guys says 4 giant battlefields to fight over and the other guys says 4 large maps.  So they are either talking about the same 4 maps or its as mumbo and I have said. 1 battlefield chosen from 4 kinds at the begining of the week with each battlefield made up of 4 zones.

Edit: I am personaly hoping for 4 battlefields that have a home zone for each server and one middle ground. This means you won't be fighting over the same maps every week.

It says that 4 maps are available all time so you can just switch to next map if you don't like current. Does it mean that its always same server against same servers in all 4 maps or different servers in all maps, it doesn't say. If its same servers on all 4 maps then tactics play bigger role since rallying people to certain map would give advantage in terms of players.

Ok, when WvWvW kicks off, you can only participate in that server's WvWvW that you were presently on. After the battle ends in about a week's time, then you can join a new server for World PvP. That does not mean you cannot server transfer for PvE purposes inbetween however!

That is only a rough description as it's not revealed or finalized by ArenaNet yet. But you get the idea.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

The German translation is worded so oddly that I assume it is somewhat faulty.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

If it's not a profession reveal or release date; I don't care.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Hekket

How useful, for you and for us, to post such a thing.

• onehunerdperonehunerdper Member Posts: 837

Originally posted by Hekket

Thanks for sharing, bra, cause you know we were all holding our breath for your thoughts.

• drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by cali59

Originally posted by drumchannell

Originally posted by Master10K

Though what I still don't get about the WvWvW is; will all 4 maps be available to fight in during the week and you just pick the one you feel like fighting in, or will it randomize which 1 of the maps the 3 servers will be fighting in during the week? Just gotta wait for the PvP reveal until they explain, in detail, the mechanics of WvWvW.

On the wiki it says there are 4 different battlefields one of which is picked when the worlds are matched up.

As Eric said, all 4 maps are available all the time.

I went to the english translation of the german article that the wiki is referencing, and in there the quote is

Peters: Sure, the idea is to call all worlds (that is servers) once a week to a large battle. The time interval might still change. For three servers at a time one area will be generated - right now we got four different giant battlefields - in which you fight over strategic points like fortresses, watch towers and sawmills.

Eric says

Then we have our World vs. World PvP, or WvW. This form of PvP features a massive war between three different worlds (what you might call servers or shards in other games), across four large maps. These maps are available all the time, and don't have player limits, so it's possible to have battles involving hundreds of players at a time. The game involves capturing and holding keeps and other strategic locations, and plays out like a giant strategy game where each player is an individual participant.

I don't know.  Either Eric misspoke and meant to say something like "world pvp is available all the time" instead of "maps are available", or they changed their plan, or Eric and Jon need to fight it out.

I think when John refers to "one area", he is referring to one version of the mists being created for each WvWvW group of servers and thus being in agreement with Eric.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Master10K

Though what I still don't get about the WvWvW is; will all 4 maps be available to fight in during the week and you just pick the one you feel like fighting in, or will it randomize which 1 of the maps the 3 servers will be fighting in during the week? Just gotta wait for the PvP reveal until they explain, in detail, the mechanics of WvWvW.

On the wiki it says there are 4 different battlefields one of which is picked when the worlds are matched up.

As Eric said, all 4 maps are available all the time.

I went to the english translation of the german article that the wiki is referencing, and in there the quote is

Peters: Sure, the idea is to call all worlds (that is servers) once a week to a large battle. The time interval might still change. For three servers at a time one area will be generated - right now we got four different giant battlefields - in which you fight over strategic points like fortresses, watch towers and sawmills.

Eric says

Then we have our World vs. World PvP, or WvW. This form of PvP features a massive war between three different worlds (what you might call servers or shards in other games), across four large maps. These maps are available all the time, and don't have player limits, so it's possible to have battles involving hundreds of players at a time. The game involves capturing and holding keeps and other strategic locations, and plays out like a giant strategy game where each player is an individual participant.

I don't know.  Either Eric misspoke and meant to say something like "world pvp is available all the time" instead of "maps are available", or they changed their plan, or Eric and Jon need to fight it out.

I think when John refers to "one area", he is referring to one version of the mists being created for each WvWvW group of servers and thus being in agreement with Eric.

Argh! Now i'm even more confused with all these conflicting explainations, which is why I'm just going to wait for Arenanet and their PvP reveal (hoping that'll take place around the next batch conventions).

• TrenkerTrenker Member Posts: 88

Eric mentions 'maps' not zones.  RTS folks understand maps to mean the area on which a single game is played.  RPG folks think of zones as sections you can move freely between during the game.  Therefore by saying 'maps', I think Eric implies a different map for easch WvWvW week.

Finally, I imagine that Arenanet will implement WvWvW as one big zone, without borders that you have to zone between, as that would be easily abused in PvP.  This again implies one zone, so the other three must be 'maps'.

Which is good - who'd want to play WvWvW on the same map every week?  That would be like Scenarios/Battlegrounds on the same map every time.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by RameiArashi

Eric Flannum: The henchman/hero system in Guild Wars is certainly one of the coolest things about the game, but it just didn't fit with what we were trying to accomplish in Guild Wars 2.

I disagree, it is not the coolest thing about GW1, its the weakest thing and expanding heroes to 7 in a party was a bad mistake.   They say the want people playing together in GW2 but they made it so people won't play together in GW1. Makes no sense to me.

It's almost impossible to find a full player group for regular content, unless its UW or DoA or Zaishen quest. Having 7 heroes was a blessing for me.

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

The whole click and join casual pvp sounds awesome! And the NO player limit in WvWvW is going to epic and massive!

scribble scribble scribble

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I do have a question and a possible concern about the massive pvp.

potentional zerg issues aside, lets say i want to do some massive PvP ala W v W vW style and lets say theres 6 of these worlds that can be picked lets call em A, B, C, D, E, F for the example

Okay now i'm on Server E.

This week I happen to want to particapate in the mist because i get in the mood for it.

What happens if this week that i manage to get time for doing this happens to be the week when servers A D and F are going at it.

Will i have to just disregard it this week and hope that the week Server E gets a hold of PvP i'll manage to get time? Will i be relagated to doing 1 vs 1 pvp in hopes of getting some action in on the weeks (possibly) that I don't get it.

Or is it always going to be possible to do PvP just the people i can go up against are different?

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by whilan

Or is it always going to be possible to do PvP just the people i can go up against are different?

This.

Of course that means that the amount of servers will always be a mutiple of 3.

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by whilan

I do have a question and a possible concern about the massive pvp.

potentional zerg issues aside, lets say i want to do some massive PvP ala W v W vW style and lets say theres 6 of these worlds that can be picked lets call em A, B, C, D, E, F for the example

Okay now i'm on Server E.

This week I happen to want to particapate in the mist because i get in the mood for it.

What happens if this week that i manage to get time for doing this happens to be the week when servers A D and F are going at it.

Will i have to just disregard it this week and hope that the week Server E gets a hold of PvP i'll manage to get time? Will i be relagated to doing 1 vs 1 pvp in hopes of getting some action in on the weeks (possibly) that I don't get it.

As far as we know, it's always pvp but at the begining of each week each server is randomly matched up against 2 others.