Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeff Hickman hops over to Star Wars: The Old Republic

124»

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Unbelievable image

Well, this is also said about Jeff Hickman (yeah, I was curious and I looked it up, another 2 minutes of my life that never... ah, well image):

Jeff Hickman was hired in 2001 by Mythic Entertainment and was responsible for all aspects of customer support, product quality and testing since Dark Age of Camelot's launch. He took over the design team for the Dark Age of Camelot expansions New Frontier and Catacombs. In April 2005 he was promoted to executive producer for Dark Age of Camelot.

So, that's what he also did. So, unless people want to say that DAoC was a complete fail as well, it looks to me like a very weakminded kind of reasoning that goes like 'once contaminated by being part of a badly perceived game, always contaminated and treated as some leper'.

Mind you, everyone should make up their own mind and reasons as for why to purchase a game or not.

Personally, things like this as a reason, I'd find too trivial or illogical though to take into account into considering a game. Unless he would've been the game director or lead game designer for years before launch.

And even then, if McQuaid or Garriot would work with a new MMO again, I'd still pay attention to it, despite their later mock ups.

And this my friend might be where this convo ends.  Not much for the trolls to whine about now.

You miss a cardinal rule my friend. Posters on TOR's forums always find or create reasons to whine about.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Ugh...catacombs was ok'ish...but New Frontiers destroyed PvP....bleh.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by adam_nox

Dragon age 2 was not remotely a failure, just because a bunch of crybabies didn't think it was enough like DAO.  Bioware has been moving from rpg to action for a while now, long before EA took over.  And WHO was doomed way before EA's involvment as well, ask any alpha tester.

DA 2 was a success on the consoles, sure. But on the pc you can hardly call it so. Especially if you compare it to DA:O. Do you know that less than a month after release they where giving a ME2 copy with each DA 2 one? This never hapened before with an AAA title this soon.

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

The title is "Executive Producer of Live Services" and not "Graphics, Gameplay, Endgame, Animation, Writer".

I want to own property too

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Nothing wrong with Hickman, people just like to pile on about Warhammer, it had a good concept, the pvp was the best I've ever played in before the end game, the open fields were awesome, choke points and so on. Plenty of games were much worse and have done much better ( Like WoW).

What Warhammer did wrong, was make a game 95% dependant on a large active population, released too early, and lost that large population before they could tweak anything or get our expansion packs. Too little polish doomed a pretty good game.

• DurandleDurandle Member UncommonPosts: 41

He wasn't apart of DAOC during the Old frontiers pre-toa era so I can't feel any excited about this news.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Its already been said that he has 0 control over any game design related functions, not sure why people are still worried. 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I'm all for 2nd chances but you just can't simply overlook his failures just because this is The Old Republic. I don't care if he is in developement or not. Why would you even consider having someone on your team who argueably single handedly destryoed the warhammer ip. You telling me they can't find anyone else to do this job ? Heck, I would even take a chance on a  rookie than have him on my team.

Wouldn't it be wise to actually KNOW what the job he was hired for entails before nerdraging? That's like finding out that Uwe Boll was hired for post-production in charge of transfering film to video for The Dark Knight Returns and refusing to even watch the movie because of that. Come on now... Why so serious?!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."