Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The LFG Tool

Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229

In WoW I was a huge proponent of the  LFG tool.  In Rift not so much, heres why.  WoW since TBC especially is basically 75% instances either PvE or BG's and 25% world.  Beyond quests the world in WoW offers nothing but nodes to swing at for your professions.  Rift however, well it's only strong point standing against other modern MMO's is rifts, and the game world, invasions, and all that.  The instances are not bad, but their basically just like every other games.  Why put in a tool that may see more of your players especially at max level never seeing your main selling point because they become obsolete as everyone sits in town waiting for their new dungeon?  In fact I'd argue that somehow Rift has to figure out how to make rifting the way of character progression at end game, rather than instance farming / raiding (same idea) because quite frankly it doesn't stand against the other MMO's right now in that area.  Honestly if I wanted to play tank + healer and 3 dps vs. random mobs for some shiny loot at the end their are games much better at it then Rift.  Especially given that loot in Rift looks very bland for the most part.

Given today's mmo community where progression is all that matters, it's always the carrot on a stick approach, maybe Trion should focus on what it's game does well, and figure out how to capatilize on it.  From what I can tell instances are not what it does great and I think the LFG tool may bury the content that it does well as people will be busy sitting in their capital cities waiting on queues like wow rather than actually doing anything in the main world.

Comments

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107

Good post, your points seem very valid. It would be good for Trion to build on the Rift system, maybe some blisteringly hard ones and a superpowered invasion that stays for some time and owns an area unless cleared by a powerful guild. It would be good to keep some of the action in the game world.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Originally posted by Xion1985
    WoW since TBC especially is basically 75% instances either PvE or BG's and 25% world.
    78% of statistics are made up on the spot.

On topic: we' will have to see how much emphasis Trion puts on rifts in future updates. They currently only seem as a gateway to instances.
    Such as - do the 5 man rifts to help get ready for expert instances or do the raid rifts to help get ready for raid instances.