Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 will have FPS or old school tab targeting?

sokol55sokol55 Member Posts: 1

I would realy like to see that GW2 move little closser to FPS type game play.

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

The game makes use of tab-targeting but the pacing is more similiar to an action-game or FPS. Also, your attacks, wether melee or ranged, don't miss because of RNG but because your enemy used an ability, stood behind something that blocked your attack or stepped out of the way.

• drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182

It sort of has a mix of both tbh. You do not have to target an enemy for your attack to cause damage, etc.

If you attack enemy A while enemy B is standing in the way, enemy B will take the damage. You can also dodge enemy attacks by double tapping any direction or moving out of the way if your timing is right.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

sounds good.  Tab/macro targetting has some advantanges, e.g multiple target fights with lots of movement and positions.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Sounds similar to age of conan but less twitchy

Make it so...

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Meh, I prefer Guild Wars 2's combat over Tera's, which is more closer to that of an FPS game. I'd rather not have to worry about the aim and trajectory of every single projectile I fire and just like with Tera, it'll put casters at a disadvantage.

• adoloadolo Member Posts: 66

I would like to see all games move to at least a hybrid style targeting system if not completely FPS, tabbed targeting has taken a lot of the 'skill' out of gaming... I think a hybrid system would work best for all types of players, where some attacks and abilities rely on a tabbed target, while others are strickly mouse-aimed. If GW2 really wants to shatter that model we currently see in MMO's. A hybrid targeting interface would do it. 

Jules: You know the shows on TV?
    Vincent: I don't watch TV.
    Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

If projectiles take time to reach target and can thus be dodged, then to be fair all melee attacks should take a certain amount of time to complete and should also be dodgable.  The melee attack can be shorter than ranged but it still should have some time associated with it.  Could even make it so some melee attacks are quick and hard to dodge and some are complex and easier to dodge.

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

Although most has been said I want to add something.

According to interviews and gameplay videos many abilities will not make use of tab targetting but of ground targetting instead. Which means that you get a circle or something alike and the ability will affect this area.

I also think that they said that there will be no tab target support abilities which means that you have to place your spell on the floor to heal/buff/whatever someone

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by svann

If projectiles take time to reach target and can thus be dodged, then to be fair all melee attacks should take a certain amount of time to complete and should also be dodgable.  The melee attack can be shorter than ranged but it still should have some time associated with it.  Could even make it so some melee attacks are quick and hard to dodge and some are complex and easier to dodge.

As far as I know, all attacks are dodgable even melee. You just need to be quick enough. Dodge rolling uses energy so you got to decide whether that melee attack is worth it.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I think this aspect of combat is very well done in GW2, even the aoe seam to be very nicely set up, as well as control/movement. Same for the healing and buff, they seam to have found a very good alternative in between mmo style combat and fps freedom of movement. I look forward for this.