Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why all the hate?

2»

Comments

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

I don't hate this game, I just dislike it.

For all intents and purposes it's concept and mechanics should be really fun but for some strange reason that I just can't quite place, it just doesn't feel right. I don't know if the guns aren't strong enough or the mobs are too sturdy but it doesn't really feel very fun to shoot things. I love the idea of an MMOFPS and I love playing other FPS games but I just get so bored when I play this one. You'd think with all the gatling guns, jetpacks, rocket turrets, and explosives it'd be fun but something feels odd about the whole thing that I can't quite explain or even mentally work my mind around.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just feels... off. You know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: I guess it might have to do with the fact that you have to hit a single un-armored mob with 5 rockets or unload a chaingun straight in his face just to kill him. There's so many weapons of mass chaotic destruction that are probably fun in PvP but the PvE is so lackluster because it completely lacks the Carnage Factor.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

I don't hate this game, I just dislike it.

For all intents and purposes it's concept and mechanics should be really fun but for some strange reason that I just can't quite place, it just doesn't feel right. I don't know if the guns aren't strong enough or the mobs are too sturdy but it doesn't really feel very fun to shoot things. I love the idea of an MMOFPS and I love playing other FPS games but I just get so bored when I play this one. You'd think with all the gatling guns, jetpacks, rocket turrets, and explosives it'd be fun but something feels odd about the whole thing that I can't quite explain or even mentally work my mind around.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just feels... off. You know what I'm talking about?

EDIT: I guess it might have to do with the fact that you have to hit a single un-armored mob with 5 rockets or unload a chaingun straight in his face just to kill him. There's so many weapons of mass chaotic destruction that are probably fun in PvP but the PvE is so lackluster because it completely lacks the Carnage Factor.

Some dude was talking about just that in a max security match the other day.  The guy was saying that he had a friend who absolutely refused to play the game because the trash mobs hit harder than the bosses, and more often than not, you can get swarm raped by a bunch of little guys in a matter of seconds, while the big guy at the end barely puts up a fight.

It sounded odd to the three others on the team, but I guess it can't be all that uncommon after seeing the same thing come up here.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

I think a lot of people who hate this game focus only on the PVE.

Even saw a poster say that he went though all the missions by level 18....level 18?  What the noob open world area?  Forget about the instance matches, some are locked at that level...

This is a pvp game with a light PVE side.  If you play global agenda thinking its going to be a wow type leveling experience, your in for failure.  The open world PVE missions give you ample time to get aquainted, get some gear, and get ready for running instant missions and pvp.

Not familiar witht he territory wars for endgame, as im not there yet, i am looking forward to all that however.

So far its a solid game if your into pvp, the pve instant missions are fun, it might be the best gaming deal around since theres still a lot of 50% off cupons floating around.

The only people who are really hating the game are people looking for a "wow" with guns, people who cant stand to see others joking around in chat, and well, people who mabey dont understand why a lot of people do like this game.

For me its the opposite of what Rift was, a hugely time involved, uberserious instances where errors are not tolerated type of game.  I can log on for 45 min, run a few missions or pvp instances, have fun, get some gear, money, tokens, and log off having had a good amount of fun while accomplishing something.

Also, its a pretty polished game, i have yet to encouter any gameplay bugs or issues, everything runs smooth and looks great, its got a great atmosphere for those who are sick to death of fantasy game.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by strangerdang

Even saw a poster say that he went though all the missions by level 18....level 18?  What the noob open world area?  Forget about the instance matches, some are locked at that level...

This is a pvp game with a light PVE side.  If you play global agenda thinking its going to be a wow type leveling experience, your in for failure.  The open world PVE missions give you ample time to get aquainted, get some gear, and get ready for running instant missions and pvp.

Not familiar witht he territory wars for endgame, as im not there yet, i am looking forward to all that however.

So far its a solid game if your into pvp, the pve instant missions are fun, it might be the best gaming deal around since theres still a lot of 50% off cupons floating around.

The only people who are really hating the game are people looking for a "wow" with guns, people who cant stand to see others joking around in chat, and well, people who mabey dont understand why a lot of people do like this game.

For me its the opposite of what Rift was, a hugely time involved, uberserious instances where errors are not tolerated type of game.  I can log on for 45 min, run a few missions or pvp instances, have fun, get some gear, money, tokens, and log off having had a good amount of fun while accomplishing something.

Also, its a pretty polished game, i have yet to encouter any gameplay bugs or issues, everything runs smooth and looks great, its got a great atmosphere for those who are sick to death of fantasy game.

This game yes, has nothing to do with MMORPGs cuz is MMO neat.

All coupons reduced into 30% from 2011-04-25 with the excuse that were for limited time only, now that the game price is reduced too they reduce and the coupons.

I believe most of them, they dont hate the game but its community as i read, cuz nobody help into the game (local, city, guild), so i found help into the game forums and to GA wiki, hope you do the same, unless you be lucky and find decent people.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by defector1968

All coupons reduced into 30% from 2011-04-25 with the excuse that were for limited time only, now that the game price is reduced too they reduce and the coupons.

I believe most of them, they dont hate the game but its community as i read, cuz nobody help into the game (local, city, guild), so i found help into the game forums and to GA wiki, hope you do the same, unless you be lucky and find decent people.

Actully help in game is better than forum help.  Typically when you ask a question you get several comedy responses, one or two helpfull responses and if your lucky some pro help in whispers.

However, asking serious questions in city chat in broken english will cause the helpfull people to ignore the request, as it comes off as trolling to some.  I figure this may be your isses with the lack of a helpful community.  Pherhaps ask in your native language in city chat if theres any others out there, as finding a region specific agency would remove language barriers to getting help.

Like i said, a lot of the hate towards this game is from people looking for a secondary mmorpg, when this fame is more a MMOFPS with some raid and pve missions you can queue for, other than that its more or less an agency vs agency territory warfare game.  Anyone can partake in these fights though the mercenary system, which gives items/tokens/cretids/xp rewards for helping out an agency short on players.  Mercenary missions are by far the most active with the shortest queue times, so this really is a pvp FPS with some pve mmorpg elements in it.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by infofront

There's not much content. I blew through the missions by level 18. The AvA seems like it's not as deep as it could be. There's not a whole lot of itemization (again, lack of content). Weak crafting.

That said, at level 20 I'm still having a good time and looking forward to AvA. It was definitely worth the $7.50.

There are many valid complaints about GA, content is an issue. If they would add a greater variety of new maps it would be nice. Someone else posted that customer service is sparse at best, and this is factual from my experience. Some type of community map editor could make this game better if done properly.

Another idea is using the Sonoran desert open zone to its fullest and creating an instance where players can flag for pvp. This would be completely optional and could be zoned into separately. They could make it like the virtual reality room and just add some achievements and flairs. They need to do something fresh with the game. Patch 1.4 was a solid addition, at least. Hi-Rez has the same development staff working on 2 other games which doesn't seem to be in the best interest of GA, but the f2p transition is bringing in more money. Whether or not this has a dramatic effect on GA's development remains to be seen.

I would like to point out that at level 20, as in Infofront's case, there are stilll a lot of things left to do but it is a matter of personal taste. Since I view this game a little like Team Fortress 2 with jetpacks, but with more persistency and options,  I don't have epic expectations.

As I conceded, the maps are too repetitive and are recycled incessantly, but you can still do these things:  double agent (a pve mission with a pvp aspect), spec ops (try doing all 3 tiers), all levels of team pve (4 tiers), and AvA (which requires joining an agency and putting in some effort if you're going to do it right). Umax is extremely fun with a good group and you can try different builds to keep things interesting, or try 2-manning a 4-man higher difficulty mission.

The raids can't be accessed until level 30. There are the Sonoran 10-man desert raids which have a few random maps requiring slightly varied tactics and types of objective defense.

The dome defense raid requires a full premade 10-man raid group and is relatively easy with solid players but is more challenging.

There are other things to work toward, but that depends on a person's playstyle. It is no different than most shooters -- there are achievements to unlock as well as better gear. There is basic crafting and the ability to earn flairs through achievements (flairs are just cosmetics for your avatar). There are rare drops to work toward.

If all of that is not enough for a $14.99 game (with the coupon), you get the PvP, which can be the best part  when you aren't on a jacked  team. You can queue up to 3 people total to enter a merc match which helps a lot in most instances. Tier 2 matches (30 +) can be a blast but also very frustrating, as with any pvp game.

This game is not a huge world like a regular MMO. It is a low cost shooter with some interesting elements.  If they added more maps/modes and addressed some of the issues in this thread, it would probably grow even more rapidly.

Hopefully the above post helps someone thinking about trying the game. We could always use new blood and more players that aren't critically brain damaged (like me).

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by defector1968

Actully help in game is better than forum help.  Typically when you ask a question you get several comedy responses, one or two helpfull responses and if your lucky some pro help in whispers.

However, asking serious questions in city chat in broken english will cause the helpfull people to ignore the request, as it comes off as trolling to some.  I figure this may be your isses with the lack of a helpful community.  Pherhaps ask in your native language in city chat if theres any others out there, as finding a region specific agency would remove language barriers to getting help.

Like i said, a lot of the hate towards this game is from people looking for a secondary mmorpg, when this fame is more a MMOFPS with some raid and pve missions you can queue for, other than that its more or less an agency vs agency territory warfare game.  Anyone can partake in these fights though the mercenary system, which gives items/tokens/cretids/xp rewards for helping out an agency short on players.  Mercenary missions are by far the most active with the shortest queue times, so this really is a pvp FPS with some pve mmorpg elements in it.

ok English isnt my native language but this isnt my first online game neither my 1st discussion into internet forums, blogs, IRC e.t.c., so NO its not that the problem, anyway all i need to know, i learn them from GA wiki and GA forums, so i'll stay there.

And for the record when i ask into local  AND guild chat, i get not even one answer, not even an insault or a laugh comment, completely nothing

And my native lang is too rare, so i dont expect to find a countrymate in it

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN