Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else moving or moved to F2P models?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

F2P is the future, and it's been already mentioned several times here. With the current mediocre P2P quality of MMORPG's avalibale on top it sure pays to go with a F2P right now.

My favorite F2P feature is choice if and when I decide to spend my $. So I got more control.

You can't get screwed by trying out a F2P model. I already got screwed with games like Aion, DCUO and so on.

As I was a huge fan of SWTOR due to my SWG-Pre CU moments I starting to understand why GW2 will got the edge and if SWTOR didn't copy WOW in so many ways I might've given it a chance.

But all of that is later this year and I need a F2P MORPG to enjoy right now, preferably something newer. I see Allods and Forsaken World as some new F2P titles, and I wonder what the community think about these 2 or if there is a better F2P choice with more features that I should consider.

Comments

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Everquest 2

RF online

Forsaken World

Allods Online

Aika Global

Vindictus

Global Agenda

Lord of the Ring Online

Divine Soul

This is the list I managed to gather so far. Anyone played any of these games to provide some details about them and what they offer?

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

I wish companies would use both. So I have the option to choose. Like LotRO or DDO. If I want to pay a monthly sub for everything I can. But if I only play an hour or two a week, I can go F2P and unlock quest packs, expansions, character slots, ect, as I need them.

And as long as the cash shops don't offer anything to give players an advangtage in PvP, it's all good.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Kopogero

Everquest 2

RF online

Forsaken World

Allods Online

Aika Global

Vindictus

Global Agenda

Lord of the Ring Online

Divine Soul

This is the list I managed to gather so far. Anyone played any of these games to provide some details about them and what they offer?

Sure. I played EQ2 for an hour and didn't like it.

LOTRO is nice. A lot of solo content, nice graphics, nice scripted sequences. My only complaint is that they don't have a vanilla mage class, which is my favorite. The Runekeeper comes close but that costs money.

I have been playing Global Agenda the week or so (with my son) and I am liking it quite a bit. It is one of the rare sci-fi games, than fantasy-based games. It has good mechanics. i particularly like the robotic class, and that it is no longer a tank, heal/dps paradiagm.

I was told that there is limited pve content but i still haven't exhausted the content yet. From the start, you have access to missions (quests .. which can be done with others), security missions (i.e. dungeons) and some pvp stuff which i haven't tried.

There seems to be quite a few people playing the game and it does not take long to wait for "dungeons".

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

F2P games are no more the future than free broadcast television. For a subset of the population its great and sometimes the only option. For many of us its worth $15/mo to not be bombarded with "BUY NOW" advertising directing us to the cash shop.

I still like F2P games though. My favorites are DDO and Vindictus.

Most F2P games are just a shadow of their P2P counterparts. They generally offer the same experience only lower quality and with some handicaps that can only be lifted by spending more cash than you would in a P2P game. Out of the dozens of WoW-alikes that fall into this category the only one I would recommend is Lord of the Rings Online.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I wish I was moving into just a MMORPG to enjoy, so far none are capturing my attention. And those who did just grabbed my attention for a very short period.

I honostly don't care if it's F2P or a monthly subfee aslong as the game is fun to me then it doesn't really matter.

But I am cautious with F2P games that limit the content of the game and enhance the content in what ever way thru cashshops.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Everquest 2

RF online

Forsaken World

Allods Online

Aika Global

Vindictus

Global Agenda

Lord of the Ring Online

Divine Soul

Forsaken World, Allods online, Aika online, Vindictus and Divine Souls are not moving to F2P, but were released as F2P... The others did move to F2P indeed...

You forgot to mention a few: Archlord was a subscription MMO hosted by CodeMasters till 2007 or so, when it became F2P. Dungeons & Dragons online (the first to go to the new Freemium model).

Rumours go for Star Wars Galaxies to F2P (not all too unlikely IMO).

• w4spl3gw4spl3g Member Posts: 60

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Kopogero</i>
    <br><b><p>Everquest 2<br />
    RF online<br />
    Forsaken World<br />
    Allods Online<br />
    Aika Global<br />
    Vindictus<br />
    Global Agenda<br />
    Lord of the Ring Online<br />
    Divine Soul</p>
    <p>This is the list I managed to gather so far. Anyone played any of these games to provide some details about them and what they offer?</p>
    </b></blockquote>
    <p> </p>

Allods is a cash shop scam all the way, doesn't take much research to see it.

LOTRO's cash shop started off being okay and worked its way in to PAY TO WIN quickly and they added ads for it to *EVERYTHING* even for sub paying players, totally completely destroyed the game unless you're a pver only and enjoy ridiculous amounts of grinding.

Global Agenda - I bought a full copy in a steam sale for $7.50. I haven't been back since they announced F2P. It's often compared to TF2/Tribes, and pretty accurately, nothing amazing, if you can get a cheap copy like I did it might be worth the distraction til something more substantial comes out.

Currently Playing: Perpetuum
    MMOs Played (most time spent to least): World of Warcraft (BG/Open world PvP focused), Lord of the Rings Online (PvMP focused), Warhammer Online (BG PvP focused), Global Agenda, Age of Conan, DC Universe Online (PvP focused), Runes of Magic, Allods, Aion, Fallen Earth

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Timukas

Free to play or more exactly pay to win is definitely not the future. Good games can generate enough money and p2w option is for generic grinders (mostly Asian) or dying games.

Dungeons and Dragons Online going to f2p was the best thing Turbine ever did to improve the player appeal of that game

and DDO modularization is well suited to the f2p model

Going Free Boosts Turbine's DDO Revenues 500 Percent

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27416/Going_Free_Boosts_Turbines_DDO_Revenues_500_Percent.php

I wouldnt recommend a f2p for all mmos -- but for some mmos, it definitely a worthwhile option

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

While I wouldn't want a cash shop game as every MMO I play, I'm very happy with how LoTRO and DDO do it. If I have a lot of time to throw at LoTRO for instance, I'm happy to pay a sub fee for all the extras it unlocks otherwise just having access without paying is great.

Back in the day before I burned out on raiding and the gear grind I'd be one of the people that hate the pay to win games because you do feel a compulsion to have as much going for you as possible. Now, there just isn't endgame content I'm interested in and the leveling in cash shop heavy games is more often than not still very doable.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Everquest 2

RF online

Forsaken World

Allods Online

Aika Global

Vindictus

Global Agenda

Lord of the Ring Online

Divine Soul

Sure. I played EQ2 for an hour and didn't like it.

LOTRO is nice. A lot of solo content, nice graphics, nice scripted sequences. My only complaint is that they don't have a vanilla mage class, which is my favorite. The Runekeeper comes close but that costs money.

I have been playing Global Agenda the week or so (with my son) and I am liking it quite a bit. It is one of the rare sci-fi games, than fantasy-based games. It has good mechanics. i particularly like the robotic class, and that it is no longer a tank, heal/dps paradiagm.

I was told that there is limited pve content but i still haven't exhausted the content yet. From the start, you have access to missions (quests .. which can be done with others), security missions (i.e. dungeons) and some pvp stuff which i haven't tried.

There seems to be quite a few people playing the game and it does not take long to wait for "dungeons".

limited content means that the only quest zone in the whole game is the desert. youll often see chat about 'jungle'. which is sort of inside-joke of the game. there is no jungle, there is nothing. all you have left for pve after that is repeatable dungeons. and thats it.

game is more like combat arms or team fortress 2. a pvp game, pve is just there for the lulz tbh.

anyway i hate seeing people often calling f2p games p2win. there are games where all you get for your buck is more experience or gold or whatever. no imbalanced items in the shop. nothing.

how is that p2win?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

When a Free To Play game launches with the quality of a Pay To Play game then we may have a discussion. Games like DDO and Lotro started to die so thats why they went Free To Play. Any other game is not even worth talking about.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I believe you have to be dellusional to think free to play games are better than pay to play. As fun? Sure of course! as good or better than? Not exactly.

In the past several months ive played every F2P game thats been released in the past 6-8 years i think. Dont get me wrong here, ive put maybe 1-2 hours in each, im not talking about hardcore, just trying them out and seeing what they offer.

The games are great and fun but the quality has never ever been as good as a pay to play game in my opinion, not compared to the ones ive played anyways. Even the B2P ones are better in quality and usually customer service which can and should be expected since they should have more staff to work with.

I dont know how you can feel screwed over by games like DCUO, Aion or Rift and the like when 30 days of game time can certainly be worth $60 depending on the buyer of course. If you buy it and play it for an hour and hate it that much its really your own fault. =p

Still the quality of paid games has always been better so far.

Vindictus is the most impressive 100% free to play game ive personally experienced.

Future of gaming? Only if the quality of the B2P and P2P games drop drastically, which they very well could and quite possibly will if everybody takes this "free to play" route.

LOTRO and DDO are pretty impressive in ways but keep in mind they started out as subscription based games, they should have better quality than the rest of these free to play ones.

Out of the 2 games youre thinking about i would reccommend Allods before Forsaken World, both are cool and similar but i dont enjoy auto pathing my way through the games as much like they do in FW.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• QuasiRainQuasiRain Member Posts: 125

I'm only playing F2P games right now, since they're fun to try, and if you get tired of them, you can always just uninstall and move on to a new game.

Currently, I'm playing Aika Global though, since the PvP there is good. And it's not an "allegedly free game" either since they won't sneakily try to make you pay (like a certain OTHER "F2P" game that requires you to buy incenses. If you don't buy, your damage is halved)

You can try many F2P games until you find something you like.

<TBA>